PDA

View Full Version : speed limits on the SZR

nitro rig driver
27th Jan 2012, 18:28
Not a road i use very often as its plagued with nutters but what gives with the speed limit signs.
Normally its 120 but every now and again theres a sign for 140 with a normal 120 sign about 300 yards further down the road,so what is it 120 or 140 ??...

And is that indicated speed or GPS speed as mine are about 10 km apart at that speed

FlyTCI
27th Jan 2012, 18:48
Once you get past JLT the cameras don't go off if you are doing <140 km/h, which is indicated the 140 sign you mention. The "advertised" legal speed limit is 120 km/h though. Once you get on the AUH side it appears many drivers still go by the old 160 km/h limit. One wonders if they those cameras have not been re-calibrated, or more likely, those drivers just don't care.

I considers myself an experienced and alert driver and I really don't look forward to those times I have to go that way.

Like tomorrow when I will be heading that way for the HSBC Championship. :* At least it's the weekend.

Plazbot
27th Jan 2012, 18:49
From the Hard Rock all the way to Abu Dhabi, you can set the cruise control to 140. There is one camera on the return in the road work for the new interchange that has been known to flash from time to time over 130. Seems to be early morning on weekends usually. That is actually not SZR in that area but same same.

Tower Ranger
27th Jan 2012, 20:32
You`d better wait until you`ve passed both the exit 30 for the marina and the camera just after it as there is often an unmarked car there and both it and the camera will go off above 120.

MagicCarpet
28th Jan 2012, 07:09
It is my understanding that if the speed limit sign says 100 you can go up to 120 before being ticketed by a speed camera. Is that correct? Is twenty kph over the limit the threshold throughout the UAE?

Also, when you go into the underpass/tunnel on the way to/from DXB airport, the red electrically lit signs say 80 even though the permanent metal signs in that area still say 100. Does this mean you can only go up to 100kph or is 120 still the point that triggers the speed camera?

Plazbot
28th Jan 2012, 07:13
That same camera at that exit (I think it is 36?)gets you if you cross the white line betwen the two exit lanes. The guy in the car manually triggers it. It would be there at least 5 days a week.

You can do what ever speed you like between the Abu Dhabi cameras pretty much. They so have some portable cameras but I have never seen them North of Shahama. The police are more likely to pull you over for flashing your lights or undertaking than they are for driving in excess of 140 in Abu Dhabi.

Also note that the last camera before the IL76 on the way for the Barracuda has dropped to an 80 zone so flashes at 100.

Sheikh Your Bootie
28th Jan 2012, 13:25
Yeah that one near Barracuda is a sneaky one. 100 km/h you would think, middle of nowhere. Got me :mad::mad:

SyB :zzz:

A300Man
28th Jan 2012, 14:26
Plazbot. The 100 limit has been extended now up to just before the Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel complex, in the direction towards Abu Dhabi. I got caught doing 120 there ten days ago. Sly change.

However, on the inbound carriageway towards Dubai, the 120 rule still works up to the Big Guitars at Hard Rock.

Once hitting the AUH border, 140 is safe. The last camera as you exit from Dubai just before the border often zaps unsuspecting folks.

nitro rig driver
29th Jan 2012, 15:03
forgot to say i only join the SZR (11) at the 311 junction heading towards AUH so avoid all that nasty built up area further down closer to DXB.....
it always amazes me that if your not doing break neck speeds in the left lane you get flashed and run off the road but pull in one lane and do 90-nobody gives a s88t even if its causing absolute havok behind you ..ho hum