PDA

View Full Version : Floatplane in Asia - Thailand/Philippines?

kexx
26th Jan 2012, 16:46
Hi All,
I will spend some time in Asia (2 years in China) and would like to add sea rating (to my JAA PPL) + some seaplane Cessna for rent for holidays.
Can you recommend me some school / rent-a-plane nearby - Thailand, Philippines??
Thanks a lot

XLC
27th Jan 2012, 13:47
Hi, you can not add a rating I believe to your JAR PPL unless you do the training in a plane that is registered in JAR land with a JAR instructor.

You can however add the experience in your very same log, provided you do have the right 'national' licences.

I am based in Hong Kong (one of China's S.A.R.) and do fly mostly in Thailand at Nok Aviation. Like you I have a JAR PPL, and also a Thai PPL that is dependent on the former [need to pass two exams, HR and Air Law]. In Asia the country that is the most GA friendly seems to be Malaysia. Then you have Singapore, Japan (both pricey), Thailand and the Philippines. In the last two expect some regular changes and local rules. Yet there is a small community of mostly semi- or fully retired pilots that is quite active.

For floatplanes I think the Philippines is the most indicated, but I doubt you can do much more than getting a local rating if you are based in China.

Hodja
27th Jan 2012, 14:42
Unfortunately Malaysia doesn't allow floatplanes!

Or more specifically: You're not allowed to land on water in Malaysia.