PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes and Flying

PinCushion
25th Jan 2012, 13:23
Hi all,

I have been considering learning to fly for a while now, and watching the Programme on BBC2 the other night featuring the Round Britain Rally for Microlights has made my mind up that I want to do it.

I am an Insulin controlled Diabetic which limits me to an NPPL, and as EASA appear to have closed off the SSEA and Gliding route to people on Insulin, to Microlighting (which isn't a bad thing as it looks like huge fun!). I have some questions: reading up on the NPPL I get the impression that I would be restricted to flying solo or with a safety pilot, but I have also read that there is potentially a way round this? Also what good Microlight Schools are there located in Essex/East Anglia? (I live in Braintree). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jan 2012, 13:43
Microlight clubs and schools in the East of England (http://www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?findusingparamregion=gb_eastern). (I've yet to meet a poor microlight school, so I'd suggest going to have a look at the 2 or 3 nearest your home and picking on you like. There are loads of threads you can search out on picking a good flying school.)

For the diabetes, have a look at this document (http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/~/media/pdf/medical/at_a_glance.ashx) which at page 31 shows a table that should allow yourself to categorise yourself as group 1 or group 2. (You're probably familiar with it already.)

From the NPPL website:

The medical standards are based on the DVLA driving medical standards. If there is nothing in your medical history which would stop you reaching a DVLA Group 2 standard for professional driving, you can obtain a National PPL without any medical limitations. If you have a past history of significant illness but meet the Group 1 standard for private driving, you will only be able to fly either solo or with another “safety” pilot qualified on your aircraft type. A pilot acting as a safety pilot must be appropriately briefed. Other limitations may be imposed on individual pilots depending on the advice received from a Medical Adviser. Your GP’s countersignature is to confirm the lack of any medical history which would preclude you meeting the appropriate DVLA standard. Your GP is entitled to charge you for this service.

So almost certainly the worst you'll face is being unable to fly with a passenger who isn't a pilot, but there's a good chance you won't even have that restriction if you've had no incidences of hypoglycaemia in the last year.

And you are quite right, microlighting is tremendous fun.

G

Heston
25th Jan 2012, 14:21
May I suggest you give Saxon Microlights a look?

www.saxonmicro.co.uk (http://www.saxonmicro.co.uk)

Lessons available at North Weald in a Thruster T600N (a nose wheel version of the fixed wing aircraft in the film) .

You could also go and have a look at Rayne airfield just outside Braintree (if you haven't already). No training there unfortunately, but Saxon use it for cross countries and land aways.

PM me your details if you want a chat about organising a visit and to find out a bit more.

H

BroomstickPilot
25th Jan 2012, 16:49
Hi PinCushion,
May I suggest that you also post on the Medical & Health forum as you are much more likely to contact people there who have appropriate knowledge and experience on your subject.
Good luck!
Broomstick.

Jex
4th Jul 2012, 06:06
G'day Pincushion,

I am also a type 1 pilot, I'm in Australia.

Here is a site that outlines the current rules worldwide:

Pilots with Diabetes : private flying - Australia (http://www.pilotswithdiabetes.com/)

Here is a thread I started about flying with type 1 in Oz:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/488968-flying-insulin-dependent-diabetes.html

cheers

Jex

zibi85
4th Jul 2012, 20:54
Hi PinCushion,

you can definitely fly on a NPPL and be able to carry passengers with you. Since November last year, type 1 diabetics can obtain a DVLA group 2 classification. THere are some criteria to be met. Generally speaking, if your diabetes is well controlled you won't have any problems in qualifying for group 2.

There is rumour (and hope) that the LAPL medical requirement may somehow change and preserve the existing rights of type 1 diabetics in the UK. But this is pure speculation.

However, you will be able to fly SSEA on a NPPL until 8th of April 2015.

If you want to know more, send me a PM.

Cheers!

RTN11
5th Jul 2012, 06:38
Not sure what type you have, but i once had a diabetic student on microlights. He was limited to solo or with another qualified pilot, he had to take his blood sugar one hour before flying and then just before flying, and i believe if he flew more than an hour solo he was supposed to take a blood sugar reading in flight.

I'm not sure if this is the norm, or if you have better controlled diabetes then it would be different. Being limited to one hour flights in a microlight isn't all that bad, you can still get plenty done.