PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines Brazil to Miami

cg78
23rd Jan 2012, 19:19
I'm a nervous passenger. Flying from UK to USA next week and now very stressed after hearing on news this evening about an American Airlines flight from Brazil to Miami. It resulted in 6 flight attendants being hospitalised and the drinks trolley apparently hit the ceiling and made a hole.

Can any experienced pilots out there tell me how this could happen. How rare is it? I don't want to be scared!

Loose rivets
23rd Jan 2012, 19:49
Sounds like a bad one. However, if you want justification for being afraid, get into a motor vehicle.

They seemingly carried on, with someone that could tend to the injured crew found among the passengers. The time to MIA was substantially more than returning, so I guess that gives some indication of the severity - or lack of.

Relative quality of care? I have no idea, but it's always nice to be near home when you're poorly.

misd-agin
23rd Jan 2012, 19:56
It happens. 10 million, or more, annual airline flights.

The majority of the injured, or everyone injuried, didn't have their seatbelt on. That's the number one thing you can do to protect yourself.

Did it damage the airplane? No.

Big hole that was reported? Turns out it was a trim panel that was displaced.

With six hours to go they overflew, with medical advice, approved medical facilities so there has to be some balance given when considering the extent of any "injuries". Injured? Yes. Need immediate, rapid, or quick medical service from a hospital? No.

More people die choking on food, but most don't fear eating. Hopefully you can put this in perspective and enjoy your trip.

cg78
23rd Jan 2012, 20:42
Thanks for taking the time to reply with some reassuring words.

Capetonian
23rd Jan 2012, 21:00
I was once on a Lufthansa flight over the Alps. We hit some 'severe' unexpected turbulence and the aircraft was taking a bit of a shaking. Some of the passengers were screaming and clearly very frightened. The wings were flexing, as of course they are meant to. The captain reassured everyone over the PA that the flexing of the wings, and the stresses, were a fraction of what it was designed to take, and that there was nothing to worry about. Of course the rest of the flight was uneventful and we landed safely.

The captain was standing by the cockpit door and nearly every passenger who disembarked thanked him.

CargoFlyer11
23rd Jan 2012, 21:00
American Airlines Flight Turbulence Injures 6 | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo! (http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/american-airlines-flight-turbulence-injures-6-154741706--abc-news.html)

:ouch:

Sydy
23rd Jan 2012, 21:48
Just keep your seat belts fastened.

Have a Nice Flight!