PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit/ground inter phone comms phraseology

Stuck_in_an_ATR
23rd Jan 2012, 10:23
Can anyone point me towards some official (ICAO/CAA) document covering standard phraseology that should be used when communicating over the inter phone with a ground engineer/agent during eg. start-up/pushback etc.?

It is something that one usually learns on-the-job, listening to others. As such, most people (including myself) invent their own ways as to what and when to say. I am looking for some document with guidelines on how it should be done properly...

Greetings,

Stuck

BigGeordie
23rd Jan 2012, 10:27
In my company it is covered by the Ops manual. It is probably just a cut and paste job from some other document but it doesn't give a reference. They seem to be especially keen that we say the park brakes is "set" or "released" rather than "on" or "off"....

MAINTAINVERTICALSPD!
23rd Jan 2012, 10:45
AERAD flight information supplement.:ok:

hvogt
23rd Jan 2012, 15:10
As far as ICAO is concerned, such phraseology is covered in PANS-OPS, Chapter 12, Section 7.

minstermineman
23rd Jan 2012, 17:12
"set" or "released" rather than "on" or "off"....

'on or off' - can be confusing which has been said if comm's are less than clear, leading to the wrong interpretation of what has been said.
Using words which can only have one meaning in the context in which they are used helps prevent this.

Checkboard
24th Jan 2012, 10:40
PANS-OPS - Procedures for Air Navigation Services :rolleyes:

ICAO couldn't care less what you say over the interphone. The "correct" phraseology is that agreed with the ground crew - which will be in the ground crew handling manual, and repeated in the Ops Manual for your company.

grounded27
24th Jan 2012, 18:10
My favorite. (ground).. "cockpit, ground" (cockpit)..."speak earthling".

Chille Con Carnie
24th Jan 2012, 19:28
Call it what you like. I thought it was "You this is Me"
From ground ie "Flight Deck Ground" etc---

Kenny
4th Feb 2012, 02:40
Grounded,

It must be my warped sense of humor but that's pure gold. Thank you for the laugh.