PDA

View Full Version : Australian Class A frequency boundaries?

geodementia
23rd Jan 2012, 00:30
Hi there...

Question for anyone in the know at Airservices Aust...

Is there anywhere that I can find the frequency boundary information for the high level ACC (Class-A) sectors? I have searched through the DAH and see the sectors themselves, but I think the sectors defined contain multiple frequencies, but there is no documentation of which frequencies belong to each sector

DAH conveniently lists the boundaries for FIA and class E frequencies, but not the high level sectors.

Living in Alice Springs, the local sector here re-broadcasts a very large number of frequencies within YMMM, I'm sure its several sectors combined, and since the majority of traffic is operating in class-A space it would be nice to be able to see where the frequency changes are, given that most seem to occur without a position report being exchanged thanks to the increased ADS-B surveillance.

Cheers,
Geoff

le Pingouin
27th Jan 2012, 13:16
There aren't frequency boundaries as such within high level sectors. Larger sectors own a number of frequencies & how they're managed is up to the controller. Generally you use the nearest outlet & there are customary transfer points (acts as a memory prompt) but there are no actual defined areas. It's about as strictly defined as waving at a chart & saying "you use frequency X here, Y up there & Z down here". And yes, when it's quiet sectors are combined to cover geographically huge areas with many frequencies, plus they're also doing the G airspace underneath.

This page has PDFs of all sectors & indicates the rough geographical area covered by each frequency. If you look at the Alice Springs chart you'll see the A airspace frequencies listed with an "A". For instance 123.9 is at Oodnadatta, 131.8 at Ayers Rock & 128.85 at Alice.

NOTAM Maps | Airservices (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/notammaps/index.asp)

geodementia
28th Jan 2012, 04:51
Thanks! That clears things up, and is exactly what I was looking for. So now when I hear simply "Contact me now on 132.7" I can get an idea of where we are :)