PDA

View Full Version : How to visit an ATC unit

Lagentium
22nd Jan 2012, 18:48
Good evening ladies and gents, I'm a PPL asked at Sherburn in Yorkshire and was wondering if it's possible to arrange a visit to a local ATC control room? Doncaster/Sheffield, Church Fenton and Humberside are local to me, but I wouldnt mind travelling, also excuse me if that isn't the correct term for an ATC unit! I think it would be nice to see the working environment and how they interact with aircraft.
Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jim:ok:

P6 Driver
22nd Jan 2012, 20:05
I don't mean this to be sarcastic, but when I was in the job, people used to just write to us, or telephone and ask to speak to a supervisor and simply make the request. It worked well.

Good luck.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Jan 2012, 20:54
Agree with P6 Driver.... that's how I did it 50 years ago. Seriously, it's very difficult nowadays to visit the larger ATC units for security reasons. However, a phone call to smaller ones might get you an invite..

Glamdring
23rd Jan 2012, 08:20
To be fair to the OP, these days the internet and email have overtaken letters and phones as the main form of communication. I don't see the problem at all with asking in here about unit visits, it reaches a greater number of people than a letter or phone call for a start. I arranged my pre-interview visit by initially asking on here, and like a phone call did 50 years ago, it worked well :ok: