PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Note GPS inflight

cpt_shawky
22nd Jan 2012, 09:06
Confirmed Samsung Galaxy Note GPS working inflight

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/384999_273478142717095_100001647351190_850892_173578552_n.jp g

Capn Bloggs
22nd Jan 2012, 11:35
Hey Squawky, what App is that you're using?

grounded27
22nd Jan 2012, 20:35
Please do share, I have a galaxy sII I would like to add the app to.

aviatorhi
23rd Jan 2012, 01:11
Looks to be fairly accurate too, only 9km/h and 1 deg out. Was the altitude quite accurate?

Looks like 0 degrees off to me.

smiling monkey
23rd Jan 2012, 01:26
What's the magnetic variation in that part of the globe?

PT6A
23rd Jan 2012, 02:18
Mag Var is 5.2W

Capn Bloggs
23rd Jan 2012, 02:24
Mag Var is 5.2W

You sure?

Waypoint TAPDO Country MU (http://www.fallingrain.com/waypoint/MU/TAPDO.html)

PT6A
23rd Jan 2012, 02:58
Sorry looked the wrong waypoint up... 1.0E

Eric Janson
24th Jan 2012, 03:13
I have been unable to get the GPS on my Galaxy S II to lock inflight.

It receives the satellite signals but no lock. This is on airbus aircraft.

Fursty Ferret
24th Jan 2012, 08:21
I have been unable to get the GPS on my Galaxy S II to lock inflight.

It receives the satellite signals but no lock. This is on airbus aircraft.

Likewise. Even if pressed against the DV window it doesn't get a lock. Whether this is due to poor signal or simply the fact that it doesn't expect to calculate a fix at 500 kts, I don't know.

aviatorhi
24th Jan 2012, 09:00
Did you turn off the window heat?

Natstrackalpha
25th Jan 2012, 15:15
I am getting the AirNav Pro App when it comes out in the summer. they do the App for iPhones but a Galaxy is an Andriod (as you know)

As seen here - -! If the electric window heat is on then it f-messes up the signal.

There is a dongle which you can get to pin or stick onto the windscreen. this, apparently, improves sig recep greatly - but, if the sig is affected by the window heat then . . . .

You will also find that apart from moving map display you also get VOR ILS PFD, complete with Alt, Spd, ROC or ROD i.e., VSI - nice. . . and, turn and slip too !

All for 40 odd $ollars.

Hail to today, the future. :)

thermostat
4th Feb 2012, 02:35
I used an external antenna on my Garmin hand held and stuck it to the side window, not the forward windshield. Worked well. Very reassuring.

Geezers of Nazareth
5th Feb 2012, 11:40
Another one that you might care to try is 'Open GPS Tracker'. It's not a display of your position, but a recorder of where you've been.

You can set it to record your position every (say) 1 minute (default is 5 minutes) and it will make a record of your position, height, speed and direction of travel. It's really designed for ground use, but if you tell it to ignore 'sill heights' and 'silly speeds' it will faithfully record all those parameters.

I used it recently on a trip to the far east. It wasn't perfect as I am a member of 'joe public' so I was seated in the back and had to make do with hanging my 'phone on the window. I would expect much better results with it running from inside the cockpit window.
I was quite fortunate in that some of the aircraft had an in-flight entertainment system which included a USB post, so I was able to keep my phone fully charged during the flight.

(And in case anybody gets funny about it - the 'phone was in 'airplane mode')

MrBenip
5th Feb 2012, 13:57
There is a dongle which you can get to pin or stick onto the windscreen. this, apparently, improves sig recep greatly - but, if the sig is affected by the window heat then . . . .

........lets hope you don't all fly around with the window heat off!