PDA

View Full Version : Flying non-UK aircraft in the UK.

Ds3
20th Jan 2012, 09:01
Apologies if this is a really dumb question!

Well on my way to my PPL now (qxc coming up soon hopefully!) and looking at my flying options once I'm qualified. I've seen a couple of potential group / shares based around aircraft that hold a non-uk registration, i.e. F (france) or EI (Ireland).

Before I went ahead with anything, I just wanted to be clear what, if any, implications there were with regard to hour building, licensing, taking them abroad etc and if there are any pitfalls I should watch out for? Or it it simply like a foreign car; as long as it's 'road' legal then it makes no difference at all?

Any advice appreciate :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jan 2012, 10:18
If it has an EASA CofA and you have a JAR licence, it should be no issue.

If it has a national CofA and you have an ICAO (e.g. JAR, UK or FAA) PPL then you'll need to meet whatever regulations the country of registration have put in place, which usually is some form of licence validation, but may in some cases be a registered owner / trust in the country of registration.

If it does not have a CofA, e.g. an Irish Flight Permit, you'll need to meet their national regulations for licencing, and you *probably* can fly it in UK airspace for up to 28 days per year, in accordance with Airworthiness Notice 52. To fly in other national airspace, their own interpretation of the ECAC agreement that is interpreted by AN52 will apply, which will be different in each country.

CofA aeroplanes, it's usually fairly painlessly solved. I'd not get into the business of owning a non CofA aeroplane that was registered anywhere but the country it is based in.

G

peterh337
20th Jan 2012, 14:50
Is it OK to maintain say an F-reg here in the UK?

I thought there were various issues, even under EASA Part M, getting the DGAC to approve the UK maintainer.

Sure you can fly an F-reg on a UK issued JAR PPL but flying is the easy part of ownership :)