PDA

View Full Version : Garmin G500 - AI adjustment

Whiskey Bravo
20th Jan 2012, 07:28
I am sure there is a simple answer to this, but I will be damned if I can find it, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Our new club PA28 is fitted with a Garmin G500, which is really rather nice, except for one small annoyance: In straight and level flight the AI shows around 5 degrees pitch up! I have scoured the manuals and pressed a lot of buttons, but cannot find how to adjust this. Given it is not at all easy to find, I suspect it maybe a maintenance job.

Any suggestions most appreciated...

WB

madlandrover
20th Jan 2012, 08:53
Maintenance/installation job. Assuming of course you're not flying at a speed where S&L is in fact 5 degrees nose up :ok:

wigglyamp
20th Jan 2012, 18:45
Aircraft has to be jacked and levelled then AHRS null set in GDU maintenance pages. You can't get into these pages without a dealer unlock card. As madlandrover suggests, AI pitch angle may actually be 5 degrees dependant on aircraft weight, power setting, C of G etc. In our PA28 last weekend, it was 2.5 degrees with 2 up and tabs fuel. PM if you need any help-I wrote the EASA STC for the PA28!

peterh337
20th Jan 2012, 19:09
You can't get into these pages without a dealer unlock card

Is the Installation Manual not sufficient?

Who can get the dealer unlock card? Is it only authorised Garmin dealers?

wigglyamp
20th Jan 2012, 19:31
The dealer unlock card is available only to authorised Garmin dealers and is used to prevent unauthorised adjustments to any of the PFD settings. Anyone can access the pages to review settings but not make alterations.
FAA and EASA consider the PFD flight-critical and don't won't Un-trained people messing with it.