PDA

View Full Version : EASA

cessnapete
19th Jan 2012, 09:44
I am in the process of downgrading my JAA ATPL to a JAA PPL A.(old age) Talking to CAA Gatwick yesterday I enquired about my ratings on changeover to EASA in April.
I at present I have SEP valid and MEP/IR out of date by 18mths. The CAA gentleman told me that only up to date valid ratings would be carried over to my EASA PPL after the April changeover, and advised renewing the MEP and IR by that date to avoid loosing the ratings, and requiring a complete course to renew if out of date!
I was unaware of this and can't find any ref in CAA publications.
Is this duff gen from CAA ref the upcoming EASA rule interpetation.?

maxred
19th Jan 2012, 09:53
You say your MEP/IR, is out of date by 18 months, and therefore currently invalid. It would appear to me that it prudent to renew both prior to April, and have valid ratings come what may.

There are others more qualified than I on here, but it was possibly what the CAA man was telling you?

cessnapete
19th Jan 2012, 11:16
Thanks for that, but at present you can revalidate up to 5 years with a simple flight test. The CAA now says that will change with EASA and presumably if you let a rating lapse you will need to retrain again.

flyingfemme
19th Jan 2012, 11:42
If you are going to have to take the tests again, do the FAA versions......they never expire.

Flying_Anorak
19th Jan 2012, 11:50
My amateurish understanding (from what I've read) is that once you have the new shiny EASA Licence & Ratings they are for life (as per the FAA), it's the JAR-FCL ones that are the problem.

The common message I'm getting from all of this is it's better to get as much in order pre-transition as you can.

BillieBob
19th Jan 2012, 13:07
Is this duff gen from CAA ref the upcoming EASA rule interpetation.?No, it is not duff gen. The reason that you cannot find the relevant regulation is that it has not yet been published in its final form. It is contained in Part-ARA, which is due for publication later this year (probably March) and is the new name for the former Part-AR, Subpart FCL. The relevant requirement reads:

AR.FCL.220 Procedure for the re-issue of a pilot licence
(a) The competent authority shall re-issue a licence whenever necessary for administrative reasons and:
(1) after initial issue of a rating; or
(2) when paragraph XII of the licence established in Appendix I to this Part is completed and no further spaces remain
(b) Only valid ratings and certificates shall be transferred to the new licence document

Although it is true that the EASA licence is non-expiring, it will require re-issue from time to time and, on each occasion, it will be necessary to ensure that all required ratings and certificates are valid.

The requirements for renewal of expired class, type or instrument ratings will, under the new Regulation, include refresher training and the Authority will require evidence that this has been completed before renewing the rating. The amount of refresher training will be at the discretion of an ATO and will depend on how long ago the rating expired. Details are contained in the relevant AMCs.

cessnapete
19th Jan 2012, 13:09
No problem there, I already have an FAA CPL/IR. I need the UK licence for G Reg IFR.

The Grim EPR
19th Jan 2012, 19:51
My dad is a retired 737 captain and holds the CAA (not JAA) ATPL. He is now 68 and is retired. He's spoken to the CAA and they have said that he can't convert his ATPL to a JAA licence, as he's too old to exercise ATPL privileges.

So far, so understandable.

He also tells me that he is also unable to 'downgrade' his CAA ATPL to a JAA CPL, as he is too old. Is that really the case? This doesn't seem to ring true to me. I'm sure that I've met ex airline / military chaps, who are now instructing or doing some sort of flying that would fall under a CPL.

He doesn't currently intend to conduct any paid flying, but it seems wrong that he has to close the door to it, by going from CAA ATPL to JAA PPL.

If anyone can point me in the right direction and offer an opinion about this, that would be great.

(He also holds valid / current MEP and IR)

Thanks in advance, helping me out with this.

(I initially posted this in 'Questions' so please excuse the double post. I have removed the other one)

Whopity
19th Jan 2012, 21:05
Tel him to complete an SRG 1104 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1104FF.pdf)and he will get a JAA CPL on payment of the appropriate fee. There is no age limit. He will also be able to renew his UK ATPL for use on Annex II aircraft if he wishes.

The reason he will not be able to get a JAA ATPL is because he doesn't hold a current multi-pilot Type rating, the age thing is a bit of a red herring.

The Grim EPR
19th Jan 2012, 21:22
That's very helpful. Many thanks.

Would he need a valid class one medical in order to get the JAA CPL? (He currently only has a Class Two, but could get a Class One if required).

And to confirm, he will be able to renew the CAA ATPL indefinitely and hold this concurrently with a JAA CPL?

Finally, would the CAA ATPL retain the 'Grandfather' IMC rating, or should he hurry up and get the IMC as an addition to the JAA CPL?

I'm just trying to get him as 'bulletproof' paperwork wise, before the EASA changes.

Once again, thanks for your advice.

peterh337
19th Jan 2012, 21:46
The reason he will not be able to get a JAA ATPL is because he doesn't hold a current multi-pilot Type rating,This kind of thing makes me laugh (well it would do if I had not personally met so many people who got shafted over this) because anywhere else in the world you can have an ATPL without the silly assumption that you must be an airline pilot.

Years ago, there were avenues one could use to convert an ICAO ATPL into a JAR-FCL one, with just a paperwork exercise. Ireland used to do one.

BillieBob
19th Jan 2012, 22:47
Would he need a valid class one medical in order to get the JAA CPL?Yes, a Class 1 medical is required for issue (or re-issue) of any professional licence.
And to confirm, he will be able to renew the CAA ATPL indefinitely and hold this concurrently with a JAA CPL?Probably, that is how it was pre-JAA, but the UK CAA have not yet published their intentions for the re-incarnated national ATPL.
Finally, would the CAA ATPL retain the 'Grandfather' IMC ratingIt should, but see the previous answer.

The fact is that the UK CAA is currently acting like a rabbit in the headlights. If you put the same question to Gatwick and Cologne, you get two entirely different answers. If the high-priced help at the Belgrano can't understand what's happening, what chance have the rest of us got?

The Grim EPR
20th Jan 2012, 06:02
Thanks for the advice and the clarification of the murky waters of licensing! Much appreciated.