PDA

View Full Version : CAA ATPL to EASA with expired SEP IR?

FlyingGoat
17th Jan 2012, 16:44
My SEP IR expired in November, and I've delayed the renewal for unavoidable reasons.

Should I renew before converting my CAA licence to EASA? I've heard that expired ratings don't 'carry over' to the new licence.

Many thanks.

Whopity
21st Jan 2012, 13:46
CAA FAQs (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/620/20110902FAQsv3.pdf)Question 21

FlyingGoat
21st Jan 2012, 14:24
Thanks, Whopity - that's really useful.

Talking to the CAA last week, they mentioned no EASA licences will be issued by them until 1st July 2012, and there will be a transition period until 7th April 2014 (both mentioned on the link) for flying EASA aircraft on a UK national licence.

However, the CAA guy did say that it would be advisable to renew my I/R before 8th April 2012 in case the EASA requirements for an I/R changed from that date. If they did change radically (unlikely?) then the flight test and/or an extra ground exam might be introduced from that date and I'd have to comply with the new requirements. Not sure if that's clear, but I think I understand.

Whopity
21st Jan 2012, 14:45
However, the CAA guy did say ... in case the EASA requirements for an I/R changed from that date. If they did change radically (unlikely?) then the flight test and/or an extra ground exam might be introduced from that date and I'd have to comply with the new requirements. What utter tripe!

FlyingGoat
21st Jan 2012, 15:07
Thanks.

I'll give them another call to confirm. That's the excitement of calling the CAA, there's always a rich variation of opinions and advice, but maybe, to be fair, EASA regs. and proposals regarding national ratings are not exactly set in stone (yet).

BillieBob
21st Jan 2012, 15:31
It is correct that only valid ratings and certificates may be transferred when an EASA licence is issued or re-issued. However, the UK will not commence issuing EASA licences until 1 July 2012 and the IR should be transferred to a JAA licence issued before that date, even if it is not valid. It will then be a further 5 years before the JAA (deemed to be EASA) licence has to be re-issued and only then will the validity of ratings becomes significant.

Whopity is correct, the CAA guy was talking tripe. However, since it is apparent that CAA management do not understand the Regulation, it is hardly surprising that the foot soldiers cannot get it right.

Whopity
21st Jan 2012, 15:39
I'll give them another call to confirm.I wouldn't bother, you'll only get another different answer!

The point to beware of is that if a JAA licence has to be varied necessitating a reprint during its 5 year life, it will be physically impossible to do this once the software has been modified and they will have to issue an EASA licence, not sure how that will synchronise with the scheme of charges!

Big_Buddha36
11th Mar 2012, 14:48
hi,

i rang caa recently as I'm in the same boat - lapsed IR (been using my imc to teach)

i was advised that after april, i would be regarded as a renewal, rather than a re-val - that the only main difference was that it would be the caa to sign the paperwork, not the examiner.

common sense would dictate that the IR requirements can't be changing that much as those under training right now, are still working to the normal standards and test profile - you can't expect a guy having done 50hrs of training to suddenly find he's not even close because a widely different program from easa - well, at least that's what common sense tells me :8

Whopity
11th Mar 2012, 17:18
i was advised that after april, i would be regarded as a renewal, rather than a re-val - that the only main difference was that it would be the caa to sign the paperwork, not the examiner.Any rating that has expired is a Renewal, so that's no surprise but check how long it has expired as it can make a difference. If its over 5 years, under CAA rules you have to do the renewal with a CAA FE; if its over 7 years, you have to retake all the theory exams exams! Under new EASA rules a Renewal requires you to do training at an ATO!

Big_Buddha36
11th Mar 2012, 19:46
Of course it is! - me having a blonde moment ;)