PDA

View Full Version : JAA to Canadian ATPL & jobs

Breakthesilence
17th Jan 2012, 14:04
Hi there,

as I've always been interested in discover this beautiful country (and having my girlfriend a Canadian passport besides an italian one) I'd like to obtain a Canadian ATPL from my JAA ATPL.

Actually I have almost 4000 TT and 3800 on B737. How does it work for the conversion?

Could I have job opportunities in WestJet or other airlines? Are they requiring a Canadian passport or they may provide work permit?

Maybe it's worth getting married with her ah? :}

Flatface
17th Jan 2012, 20:33
You'll never be accepted here with statements like this,
"Maybe it's worth getting married with her ah?"
It's "EH?", not "ah?"

As to advice about getting married, that is best left to another thread.

Breakthesilence
17th Jan 2012, 22:07
I was kidding of course...:)

What about giving useful informations? :sad:

b737NGyyc
18th Jan 2012, 02:05
Start here:

Foreign Applicants - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-fore-2283.htm)

For any Canadian carrier you will more than likely need to have the Canadian licence in hand in order to apply. That means you will have to spend some time and effort doing that on your own time and dime.

I do not know of any company in Canada that will go through the hassle of obtaining a work permit for a Non-Canadian when so many Canadian pilots are looking for employment. You will need permanent residency status to even be considered.

Your experience would put you in good standing for consideration at many companies including WestJet and Air Canada.

Good luck with your decision.

Breakthesilence
18th Jan 2012, 09:22
Thank you B737NGyyc,

the bigger problem is obtaining the residency, the licence conversion is a piece of cake in comparison.

I couldn't leave my job here without having something to catch the very next day...but at the same time they can't grant you that without having a job I guess.

lilflyboy262...2
18th Jan 2012, 14:39
It's a bit of a catch 22 that I had come across as well.

No-one will hire you unless you have a work permit. You can't get a work permit without an offer of work (Due to a pilot not being considered skilled labour)

Find a way to get a work permit and then things will begin to line up for you.