PDA

View Full Version : European travel advice required

Sean88
16th Jan 2012, 13:13
Hi,

I'm currently taking my JAA PPL, 10 hours in. A large motivational factor for wanting to fly is European travel (eventually). It be extremely helpful if you could answer the following as best you can. I'm sure you'll need some more info from me so I'll keep checking back regularly.

Synopsis: Total 3 passengers, Cessna 172, early morning start. Route from Humberside to somewhere near Maureillas-las-Illas in South of France.

1) An easy routing for the above, in your opinion. By easy I mean avoiding controlled airspace, minimal time over sea and keeping the Avgas topped up. And VFR.

2) General questions - How many gallons of fuel will I use, and at what cost? What will my approximate landing fees be? Will I have to learn some communication in French for the ATC?

3) Planning - Can you file your plan directly through something like Flitestar? Do you have to call prospective landing airports in advance? What do you do about customs?

4) Could anyone knock this up and send me the PLOG?

Thank you in advance.

soaringhigh650
16th Jan 2012, 14:09
1) An easy routing for the above, in your opinion. By easy I mean avoiding controlled airspace, minimal time over sea and keeping the Avgas topped up. And VFR.

You may find that flying inside controlled airspace in some cases is far easier than outside. More direct routes and higher altitudes available to save fuel. And less chance of collision risk.

2) General questions - How many gallons of fuel will I use, and at what cost? What will my approximate landing fees be? Will I have to learn some communication in French for the ATC?

Read your POH/FM to find out your fuel burn. Phone the airports to find out any airport charges. These are typically £15/€15 for a Cessna 172. AVGAS is around £2 per liter in the UK or €2 in France at the moment. French controllers can speak basic English unless it is marked "FR only" on the cahrt.

3) Planning - Can you file your plan directly through something like Flitestar?

Yes. There are several pieces of software which lets you do just that.

Do you have to call prospective landing airports in advance? What do you do about customs?

Generally for Europe, yes. And definitely needed when crossing between a Schengen to non-Schengen country such as the UK. Find out from the airport/AIP on how much prior notice is required.

4) Could anyone knock this up and send me the PLOG?

No. You shouldn't expect others to do your flight planning for you here.

Fuji Abound
16th Jan 2012, 14:23
I posted on the last thread.

People may well send you a route but with respect I think you are wasting their time at this stage in your "career". VFR routes are not complicated and in reality often end up comprising a straight line between points over very long distances. Danger areas and areas around the larger airports are about the only things to avoid, but in reality more often than not a clearance through these areas will be granted. So early on in your "career" you might end up drawing a straight line and then PLOGing for dodges around some obvious areas, and later in your career you plan for the straight line and accept the odd diversion around.

Airways flights are a more complicated subject and you are some considerable way away from doing so.

Again it is impossible to say how many gallons of fuel you might use. Certified light aircraft will typically burn between 8 and 20 gallons an hour, but usually the higher the burn the faster the aircraft. Of course the faster the aircraft the lower the flight time so in terms of fuel burn there is not a huge difference between the same trip at 100 knots or 150 knots.

Landing fees vary enormously. Usually the smaller the airport the less they are - for places only used by light aircraft 10 Euros or less are not unusual, for airports used by commercial traffic the range can be from as little as 10 Euros up to several hundred and more.

As to communication it is all in english en route - but in France some small airports are French only. You will only need to talk to them if they are your destination and then you should be capable of basic French.

So many light aircraft have four seats so you think you can carry three plus the pilot. In reality if you do you are limited or very limited on the amount of fuel, never mind luggage. There are few aircraft that you can literally "throw" four adults, luggage and fill with fuel. A 172 is not one of them.

It is brilliant seeing you post and they are good questions to ask. However being realistic lengthy trips across Europe take some experience. When you have your PPL in theory you are qualified to do so but in reality most people dont feel confident. In relaity they usually spend some months (or longer) flying further afield and developing their experience. You may find it some while before you are ready for a "long" flight across France and when you are your questions will be more relevant and more specific.

Good luck.