PDA

View Full Version : Doha villa recommandation

zman
16th Jan 2012, 04:18
Hey guys starting qatar airways next month wondering if any of you guys that are there that can recommend where to look for a villa which compound fairly close to airport!

Any help I really appreciate

360BakTrak
16th Jan 2012, 04:46
Don't Qatar Airways provide accomodation?

Flytdeck
16th Jan 2012, 05:36
Not anymore. I start next month as well and was advised that we have one month at the hotel then we are on our own with the living allowance.

It is going to be a bit of a scramble though I have found several month to month apartments available for a reasonable price. Just have no clue where they are!

Hoping there may be some assistance from human resources at Qatar Airways. Or am I expecting too much?:confused:

360BakTrak
16th Jan 2012, 06:41
Probably expecting too much......! As soon as you arrive get a paper called 'Peninsula'; there is a supplement in there that has lots of rental properties listed.

Black Pudding
16th Jan 2012, 07:10
Best thing to do is make sure you bring with you an International Driving License and then hire a car as soon as you get here. You will have plenty of time in the first month to find somewhere. Best to have a drive a round and look plus some here already will be able to advise you. You ,ay also make new good friends when you arrive here and decide to rent somewhere with others that have started the same time as yourself. Its quite common that a group of pilots all chip in together and hire something bigger. Don't panic about it, wait until you get here, you will be fine

If you need a car, try Strong Rent A Car - Contact Us (http://www.strongqatar.com/contact.php)

Mobile number 553 08 776 ask for Fidel

zman
16th Jan 2012, 15:29
Thank you guys

violet08
16th Jan 2012, 17:52
Actually used a realty company (Apollo) when I got here. The rep drove me around, showed me the available accomodations, and took care of the leases and paperwork. No cost to me. The Pennisula Newspaper also good. Rents have been coming down each year and new places available all the time. Good Luck

safelife
16th Jan 2012, 19:14
Is it true you have to provide a blank cheque to the landlord for one year's rent ahead of time?
And that a bounced cheque will put you in jail??

Mister Warning
16th Jan 2012, 20:11
Not true.
12 post-dated checks for the monthly rental amount.
And one check for the security deposit. (Usually one month.)

360BakTrak
16th Jan 2012, 22:53
Bounced cheques are illegal....no idea on consequences. My advice; don't find out!!! :E

Dubaian
17th Jan 2012, 09:40
Most apartments in Doha are fully furnished. Villas can be un-furnished, semi-furnished (includes A/Cs and kitchen appliances) or fully F. Good availability for apartments. Prices depend on area, quality of finishings and any extras (pool, parking, gym ...)
The 'little Venice' part of the Pearl is coming on the market next month - a mix of flats and town houses - huge. Not sure if it's all being released at once though. Bit of a trek from the Pearl to the airport but still manageable except at rush hours.
Consider if you really need a villa - the costs of electricity, water and cooling can be high. There are several good estate agents in town who will help you find a suitable place for a fee of usually 1/2 month's rent.
Serviced apartments are also available if you over-run the hotel allowance period and still haven't found a pad.
Fully furnished apartments include Bilal Towers & Bilal Studios which are only about 10 mins drive from the airport at most times of day. They will consider month-by-month but long term will of course be cheaper.

tcxA321
17th Jan 2012, 09:52
Is it just F/Os that have to source their own accommodation or does this apply to captains as well?

zman
17th Jan 2012, 12:59
dont know but this is what me and my FO classmates got?

Flytdeck
17th Jan 2012, 18:24
tcxA321:

The DECs have been given the same notice (at least, THIS one has) so will be joining the habitation search. Everyone has their own needs or vision of the perfect living space (12 metre Jacuzzi, bar in bedroom, fully automated toilet seat, etc... [not necessarily MY requirements :oh:]). Likely will be comparing notes with other "joiners" on the course.

The monthly rental apartments might be a good idea for awhile. It will take the pressure off and there will be no commitment until we are sure that we have passed the training.

Fly4Fun
17th Jan 2012, 23:02
Are they paying any furniture allowance or not as it seems to be a temporary situation?

Flytdeck
18th Jan 2012, 08:01
No furniture allowance mentioned in the eMail. Suspect that the change may be for the long term. Expanding organisations always have difficulty coping and tend to trim the "niceties" :(.

Not sure that this is a bad thing, though, as rather than being assigned living quarters sight unseen, we can select and furnish to our own (or, more important, our spouses') tastes. Just going to take a bit more grunt work. The month to month apartments are starting to look good as a base until we find a suitable "cave".

Soap Box Cowboy
18th Jan 2012, 15:54
Anyone know of FSO's have the one month notice or only after line check? Would be unfortunate since we won't be getting the full 9000 till line check :(

zman
18th Jan 2012, 17:54
Where do u find these monthly rentals? Are they hotels or apt?

Thx

Flytdeck
19th Jan 2012, 06:54
zman:

This is one example I found online of a furnished apartment. There are many more. this one caught my eye because of the proximity to the airport. Not too enamoured with the interior decorating, however :rolleyes:

Al Liwan Suites - Hotel, & Apartments (http://www.alliwansuites.com/index.html)

tdk90
19th Jan 2012, 16:40
So 10000QAR a month is the allowance..

I looked online and didn't see much available for 3 bed family size...

Losing company accomm could be a problem for me...

Homo Ludens
19th Jan 2012, 18:38
Guys,
The 'NO company provided accomodation' has been the standard situation in the past.
But you should not warry too much about it for at least two reasons:
- First, plenty of rental properties available to satisfy all tastes, and at fallinng prices (at
least at the moment), and
- Second, nobody is gonna kick your @ss out of the company provided 'temporary' accomodation. The situation was identical when I joined the Company some time ago and some of the people staied in the 'temporary' apartments for as long as two years before finding something for themselves.
But remember, you don't get the allowence untill you vacate the premices!
So, good luck and relax!
Cheers!
H.L.

F14
8th Mar 2012, 16:01
Is there any update on the accommodation situation. ? I looked on-line but all properties looked hellishly expensive for the 10 or 12 k allowance. Most half decent stuff was up for 15 - 18 K.

Does this mean these prices can be haggled down due to over supply?

Does any one know what up front costs there will be? Do we have to bring start up money to Doha on day1 ? :*

dash8pilotCanada
8th Mar 2012, 21:42
I stayed at the Al Liwan suites for a day on a stop over on QR. I wanted to cry after 1 day.. Avoid this place like the pleague. The food in the restaurant was good. The entrace to the place looks likes in the back ally of a bad part of town. The decoration is old and will depress you from the moment you get there. The pool and gym are tiny and a bit dirty.

stop, stop, stop
9th Mar 2012, 04:27
Accomodation price and quality all depend on what you are used to. 10000 can get you something but it won't be very spectacular. I pay 11000 for a 3 bed villa about 25 mins away from the airport...it was VERY dirty when we moved in, even after the cleaners had been!!

My advice is not to rush into anything if you can avoid it. Some compounds can be busy, noisy and have poor maintenance standards...apartment living is not my cup of tea...I need somewhere to have a BBQ and let my daughter play. As I said...it is all down to what you are used to.

Most contracts will have a clause basically saying you can cancel the agreement if you lose or give up your Residents Permit. Make sure they put the clause in if it isn't there. Utilities are not expensive compared to the UK. £30 (180 Qar) will easily cover a 3 bed Villa per month over the winter and £50-60 (300 - 360 Qar) over the summer...with some to spare.

Hope this helps.

SSS

skya320
10th Mar 2012, 16:28
Lots of listing here. Take a look. No need to panic. You will see a clearer picture once you r in Doha. Goodluck!

Qatar Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Rent, Job Vacancies @ QatarCl.com (http://www.qatarcl.com/)