PDA

View Full Version : what kind of materials used in instrument panel and encloser

TSRABECOMING
14th Jan 2012, 05:33
I an looking for information of material that most aircraft manufacturers used to make the instrument panel and cases of flight instrument (for example most gray parts in A320 cockpit). Are there any specific spec. for this?

V1... Ooops
14th Jan 2012, 05:54
I believe that in the absence of anything exotic (that might perhaps be used by Boeing or Airbus on very recent models), the instrument panel would be made out of conventional aluminium.

Checkboard
14th Jan 2012, 08:58
Want to build you own sim, I guess?

It would be milled plastic sheets, attached to an aluminium subframe.

Look here for a close up of both the front and back of a sub panel:

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/374967-small-crosses-drawn-all-over-cockpit-panels.html#post4950334

V1... Ooops
15th Jan 2012, 05:45
Ah - I didn't think that the question was about the illuminated panels, I thought it was about the main supporting structure.

I took the photo of the illuminated panel that you referenced above - you are correct, it's a plastic sheet, milled out to accept 'grain of wheat' bulbs, with several layers of paint silk-screened on the front to display the illuminated nomenclature.

Today, it is becoming more common to use LEDs rather than grain of wheat incandescent bulbs.

Michael

TSRABECOMING
10th Mar 2012, 01:15
Yes they first look like aluminum sheet but I wonder how can they be illuminated. So Michael explained about that but what what type of plastic?? There are PP, PE etc.... . They are visually different from plastic that they used for each instrument frame.(These frame look like very low durability plastic in Airbus)