PDA

View Full Version : About armrest, A/P and A/T

hamil
13th Jan 2012, 13:06
Hi,

I understand this is question of airmanship and safety, but would like to know if there is anything written on SOP or Ops Manuals about pilot's armrest (it has to be stowed during approach, landing and takeoff).

And about mandatory minimum altitude during descent and approach (visual or IMC) in which the PF must keep his/her hands on control wheel and throttles even though A/P and A/T are engaged?

Thanks.

STBYRUD
13th Jan 2012, 15:57
My company doesn't regulate any of those. Why would anyone force you to retract the armrest? Previously it was mandatory to keep the hands on the controls below 10,000 - now they merely require us to "be in a position to take over manual control immediately" - I still have my hands on...

Denti
13th Jan 2012, 18:16
No regulation on armrests at all, but it is recommended to have them down the whole flight, especially during manual flight, well, on the boeing fleet. I think on the airbus there is a requiremet to use the armrest on the side of the sidestick.

The controls have to be guarded below 10.000ft / FL100, the thrust levers below 1000ft AGL.

parabellum
13th Jan 2012, 20:32
My last company, (Boeing aircraft), hands on throughout approach and landing, especially important when doing Cat II & III approaches.

Armrests down, recommended, to provide greater stability and minimise PIO.

de facto
15th Jan 2012, 09:47
I do retract my armrest for take off and landing but absolutely have no idea why im doing that....some personal habit,could be an analogy to pulling up one sleeves before doing some manual work:E
Never read any sops bout it.

Yes its good airmanship and often sops to guard the thrust levers and controls at low level,gives you an extra sense of what the automatics are doing at low altitude.

INLAK
15th Jan 2012, 12:32
Quote..

"Why would anyone force you to retract the armrest?"
(someday I'll figure out how to quote properly on PPRuNe!)

I was told during my line training in Japan that I had to have the armrests up for take-off and landing. No idea why!

Dariuszw
17th Jan 2012, 13:01
Simple, in case of accident you will not have escape way blocked by arm rests. In case of frame bending arm rests can jam and stop you from leaving cockpit quicly.

When it comes to hands on controls its especialy prudent when in: turbulence, clouds, close to ground. Also 1000ft before reaching assigned altitude I place my hands on controls as a reminder not to miss it.

Very good question :D