PDA

View Full Version : Radar Screen Info

Poire
10th Jan 2012, 23:41
Does anyone know what information is presented to a Chinese radar controller, regarding altitude in meters?
Does it show the airplane's altitude in meters only, or both feet and meters?

Thanks

chevvron
11th Jan 2012, 19:21
Neither.
Feng Shui keeps the aircraft safely apart.

Poire
12th Jan 2012, 00:12
Feng Shui ... that's a good one. It is probably the case in that part of the world:)

The reason I asked, though, is that I fly the 777 and she is equipped with a meter function switch. When flying in a metric altimeter region, you press that switch and voilą, the PFD shows you the levels/altitudes in meters without you having to use a table for conversion.

Some pilots insist, however, in setting the altitude in feet in the altitude window of the mode control panel; the altitude or level converted from the table and ignoring the meter function.

I was wondering what presentation shows up in the controller's screen attached to the xponder code and other info.

Thanks anyway

chevvron
12th Jan 2012, 08:17
I don't think it matters what you set on board. The alt reading is transmitted from the aircraft using 1013.2 as a datum and then the ground radar system should (as in the UK) have the facility to input QNH, which then converts the display on the radar to altitude below the TA and flight levels above it.