PDA

View Full Version : This made me cry!

stickandrudderman
10th Jan 2012, 19:27
Not really a "private flying" theme but I thought I'd post it here anyway.

Last concorde communication with JFK.wmv - YouTube

Roff
10th Jan 2012, 20:15
Nice, Seems that a lot of the controllers for the 1st flight was on shift that day for the last flight. They'll never forget them days

NazgulAir
10th Jan 2012, 20:29
Maybe they swapped duties so that they could take the flight...
I miss that graceful big bird too... one of my most mindblowing experiences was cruising westboud in G1 at FL80 and hearing the speedbird come closer... he had slowed down and extended his gear early because of some hydraulic problem... and seeing it pass underneath my little Piper Arrow...

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Jan 2012, 21:23
Ah, there's a few of these recordings. When that final flight reaches UK there's some smart timing to get the 'final 3' in sequence for that historic last commercial landing. As Bannister is talking to West Drayton the controller says "They've all gone outside to watch you fly over". "Don't you go outside!" he responds.

One one of the last departures a captain comes on frequency just before Concorde is ready to roll and lots of aircraft have requested to wait to watch it.. "Speedbird Concorde, seems like no-ones gonna go 'till you do!".

And another (or the same) departure after intial climb:

"London, Speedbird Concorde 1 may we stop the climb at seven zero?"

"Affirm"

"May we come left 10 degrees?"

"Affirm"

After a short delay..

"London, Speedbird Concorde 1 is on track and resuming the climb"

"Speedbird Concorde 1, London"

"Go ahead, Speedbird Concorde 1"

"We know where you live!!!"

Fabulous machine I was lucky enough to ride the jump seat of, push back to parking via 60,000' and M2. Come see ours at Manchester!

AfricanEagle
10th Jan 2012, 21:41
I think it was 1978, I was just a teenager, landed at Heathrow. As we left the airport I remember seeing the Concorde on final from the bus. Because of our relative velocities, it seemed immobile in the air.

A rare sight of beauty.

Dave Gittins
11th Jan 2012, 12:22
"She who must" bought me John Hutchinson's book for Christmas and the first chapter has a section about the birds' last flight.

One bit is when one the inbound from JFK leaving Ockham contacts Heathrow Director who says "Speedbird 2, only you and I should be on this frequency but I suspect there are many many others .. would you like to say something to them."

When I worked in Teddington for a while she used to make a 180 over my office about 11.00 when Heathrow were on easterlys ... I'll never forget it.

A and C
11th Jan 2012, 23:15
It is the only aircraft that I have ever found to be fuel critical on a ground run, when setting up the primary & secondary nozzle controllers you would use a lot of reheat, this would increase the fuel flow by about 150%.

After a major check when setting up four engines you would sometimes have to call for another bowser full of fuel to get the job done.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Jan 2012, 13:30
A&C, I take it you only ran them up to reheat and full power one at a time. I understand that with brakes on, the wheels would slide along the ground if full power and reheat was applied on all 4!

Flying Lawyer
12th Jan 2012, 17:01
Two icons of the 20th Century sadly lost forever .....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Flying%20Lawyer/Concorde_TwinTowers_850.jpg

FL

172driver
12th Jan 2012, 17:39
Here’s a little – true – story:

Once, walking down some street in the London’s West End, I saw one of those leather-clad bike couriers yelling into his phone, shouting at someone, probably his dispatcher. The man was ANGRY (these guys always seem to be, but that particular one really had a bad day). As I got closer, I could hear the sound of Concorde drawing near. The next thing was amazing: upon hearing the roar of those engines, the chap stopped in mid-sentence, shut his phone off, turned his eyes to the sky and, lost in reverie for a few moments - smiled.

So did I, as I always did when the beautiful bird flew over London. Miss her...

:(

WorkingHard
12th Jan 2012, 20:50
British engineering at it's very best!!!!

A and C
12th Jan 2012, 22:28
I can't remember having any more than two engines in reheat at once, there was no chance of the aircraft moving as the main gear was trapped between a set of chocks, the rear chocks were concreted into the ground and the front chocks were attached to the rear ones with a set of what looked like surplus battleship anchor chains.

I was always surprised that the pointer on the fuel flow gauge did not respond to the selection of reheat with its own little supersonic shock wave it moved that fast.

piperarcher
13th Jan 2012, 17:19
If anyone lives in the South East of England, have a visit to the Brooklands museum. They have the original concorde model that used to be on the Heathrow roundabout, they have G-BBDG, which is the first production Concorde to take 100 passengers to Mach 2, and most importanly for us pilots - they have the original BA Concorde simulator. Its not hooked up to the hydraulics any more, bit it has been modernised to use FS2004 and is very realistic. Its a proper simulator , not some PC with a couple of screens.

I mention this because it doesnt seem to be well advertised, but the place is a little gem, has lots of charm and you can sense that the volunteers have put huge amounts of free time into making it what it is. I went there the other day as my fiancee bought this as my Xmas present, and I did the silver package, so got to meet a couple of Concorde Captains, had a personalised tour of the museum, sat on the P1 seat of G-BBDG, and then had an hour in the sim (though you only get 15 mins each at the controls). I took off from Heathrow, flew under Tower Bridge, round London and landed back at Heathrow. The nice Captain did all the clever bits but it was a fantastic day out, and for me, was as close as I will ever get to the heart of this fantastic airplane :):):)

peterh337
13th Jan 2012, 18:08
I got one of the last flights, in 2003

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m74/peterh337/concorde/concorde-enroute.jpg

Morris542
13th Jan 2012, 18:50
The only time I got to see it was when I was at legoland (can't remember how old I was). I was driving one of the little cars and just remember an incredible noise, looking up and seeing her climbing away.

Justiciar
14th Jan 2012, 09:06
One item on my bucket list that will never be fulfilled.

Am I just old and totally out of touch if I say that governments and big corporations so often seem to lack a sense of history, vision and grandure in the 21st Century?