PDA

View Full Version : Gliding from my own field

mrsurrey
9th Jan 2012, 19:12
Hello everyone,

Please could you tell me if I'm allowed to take off and land from my own field (using a motorglider)? Or does this all get horribly legalistic and require me to register an airfield etc etc?

Thanks,

MrS

stickandrudderman
9th Jan 2012, 19:19
Others will be along with more I'm sure but AFAIK as long as you keep the movements to less than 28 days per year you can do what you like on your own land unless that land lies within controlled airspace.

Sir George Cayley
9th Jan 2012, 19:38
Or convince everyone that you are operating from within the curtilage of you garden like wot choppers do.

Maybe an ornamental windmill and some leylandii.

SGC

POBJOY
9th Jan 2012, 21:41
Unless you are situated in an 'Article 4' area you will be able to avail yourself of flying (for 28 days) unless the local authority take an interest in your activity on H & S or 'nuisance' grounds. This means that if your activity does not cause an unreasonable effect on others then it has nothing to do with the CAA (unless you have an accident)
Therefore if you operate in a considerate and careful manner (in relation to others) you should be ok. Choose a quiet machine and avoid 'overflights'.

chrisN
9th Jan 2012, 23:11
I am not a lawyer, and these comments are free of charge, and may be worth no more than you are paying for them.

There are at least 2 legal issues relative to your question.

Re CAA etc, is it legal to just fly from somewhere? Yes (subject to airworthiness, licensing, airspace etc.) Over the years, many glider pilots have operated gliders from various farmers fields etc. I know of nothing that prevents a motor glider doing the same.

Re planning and 28 day rule – case law is more complicated than the answers above suggest. If you go by their advice, and get served with an enforcement notice, I hope you won’t be surprised.

(In fact I hope you won’t get such a notice, but I wouldn’t take bets on it.)

If you do, you have then either to comply or appeal. That can be cheap DIY or expensive with professional help, and either way an uncertain route to success.

IMHO.

Chris N.

Whopity
10th Jan 2012, 09:02
I know someone who recently set up their own strip inside a CTZ and the first problem was when someone reported the use of an agricultural shed as an aircraft hangar. The planning man came out, but fortunately the aircraft was away on maintenance, so he left happy and contented re that complaint which was clearly unfounded!

Fitter2
10th Jan 2012, 09:16
The simple answer is that what you propose is almost certainly legal if it is your aircraft and your land, and no-one else operates an aircraft there; however you may have to pay expensive lawyers large sums of money to prove the legality.

Dave Gittins
10th Jan 2012, 12:44
Sad innit ... my part of deepest "quiet" rural Surrey leaves me deafened by chain saws, huge tractors and other agricultural equipment for large parts of the year with little I can do about it .... but if I stuck a little aeroplane in the field behind my house a few days a year all hell would probably break loose.

Doodlebug
10th Jan 2012, 13:54
True. The politics of envy in action.

trevs99uk
10th Jan 2012, 14:37
Ref 28 day rule..
Theres nothing to stop you flying more than 28 days a year.
But if there,s a Nimby who reports this to the council they could restrict you to the 28 days..

So keep it low key and out of sight...
Think do i really need a wind sock somebody might see it..
Do,nt fly near local buildings.
Fly straight in don,t linger overhead.

There is also the Law of curtilage. Which is the same law that allows you to drive up and down your own land with your 4 x 4 as when ever you like, so an aircraft should be the same...

Dawdler
10th Jan 2012, 15:09
Sad innit ... my part of deepest "quiet" rural Surrey leaves me deafened by chain saws, huge tractors and other agricultural equipment for large parts of the year with little I can do about it .... but if I stuck a little aeroplane in the field behind my house a few days a year all hell would probably break loose.Yeah but! A chainsaw is unlikely to be able to take photographs of the neighbour's daughter sunbathing on the patio.

This may colour the depth of feeling locally, no matter what the actuality.

englishal
10th Jan 2012, 15:30
Ref 28 day rule..
Theres nothing to stop you flying more than 28 days a year.
But if there,s a Nimby who reports this to the council they could restrict you to the 28 days..
And IF you fly more than 28 days, make sure you keep a log of all your flights because IF no one complains, then you can use this as evidence if you apply for planning permission later on to increase the use of or to change the use of your field to an airfield.....

Romeo Tango
11th Jan 2012, 07:56
The bottom line is that if you do not annoy the local community you will probably be ok.

This has a lot to do with where you are. I operate a strip in rural Dorset where we operate on a live and let live system - I don't complain about the occasional smells, slow tractors, packs of wild men in red coats etc, my neighbours don't complain about the occasional aircraft.

These rules do not seem to apply in Berkshire/Surrey. It only takes one banker to start kicking up a row to attract unwelcome attention from offialdom.

Keep a low profile. When you fly from your strip just go away, don't go for pleasure flights/circuits near home. Don't leave your turboguzzler parked where people can see it from the road.

abgd
11th Jan 2012, 08:50
Sad innit ... my part of deepest "quiet" rural Surrey leaves me deafened by chain saws, huge tractors and other agricultural equipment for large parts of the year with little I can do about it .... Well, farming is an industry, and if you choose to live in an industrial zone, that's what you're going to get.

but if I stuck a little aeroplane in the field behind my house a few days a year all hell would probably break looseSo, what's the difference between farming and a motor glider. One is a societal necessity - we need farming and food. We could do quite well without touring motor gliders.

It's easier to put up with in the same way that I find it easier to put up with the roadworks outside my house, than the taxi-drivers who toot the horn at 3am once a week when they come to pick up my neighbours for the airport.

Just devil's advocating a little... I hope the OP gets his airstrip up and running.

maxred
11th Jan 2012, 09:07
Oh yes, the UK's propensity for - envy.:uhoh:

Keep it very low profile, do not engage anyone, i.e. asking them if they mind, keep a strict log of all movements, and under the 28 days, very little anyone can do about it.

If anyone asks, guage the motive, and if they appear interested/amicable, offer a flight or something. Avoid any built up areas on approach (if applicable), and isolated farm buildings. They are isolated for a reason:rolleyes:

We operated a very large number of ops from a 28 day site, it had a hanger et al, and in general, apart from the odd letter, it went ok. It appears, certainly in our case, the longer you can keep it going, the merge with the infrastructure can take place. It only takes one incident to turn it pear shaped.

The danger, and it would appear there is always one, if an individual wants to make life difficult, they can - very quickly, so be prepared.

Denti
11th Jan 2012, 10:21
You're pretty lucky that you can fly from your own backyard at all. Over here in central europe i would need a special permission for every single flight which i'm not likely to get. Or have to use official airfields. Sometimes i envy you guys.

englishal
11th Jan 2012, 15:28
NIMBYs are a right PITA and tend to complain about anything, so if you have a NIMBY you are screwed ;) . We have a well known one, and our airfield gets complaints about the "jets" that were low flying and also the helicopters. Considering we're 10 miles from a military RNAS....well.....She even complained about the Air Ambulance I believe....

I wonder if she complains about 2 stroke motorcycles hammering through the country lanes on a sunday afternoon?!

Ultra long hauler
12th Jan 2012, 01:05
A chainsaw is unlikely to be able to take photographs of the neighbor's daughter sunbathing on the patio.

Good idea!
Just give me the Lat & Long, will ya?
Does she sunbath in winter, however?

NIMBYs are a right PITA and tend to complain about anything, so if you have a NIMBY you are screwed
I had to look up "NIMBY", but yes; I definitely know the type!
Flying-fun killers!

We recently opened up a little airpark, shaking up a "rural" city-area in an undisclosed South American country. We enjoy freedom, because we´re just outside an international airport´s controlled area. Sometimes I am so glad I don´t deal with any European laws, reading all your replies!
Whether we have "NIMBY´s" in our area is yet to be seen though!

28 days, that is like flying every 2nd week throughout the year.
It´s okay, although it wouldn´t satisfy fanatics.

Good luck to anyone who wants to open their own strip; all the best and keep us posted with pics etc.
At some stage I will try to post some stuff as well.

###Ultra Long Hauler###

patowalker
12th Jan 2012, 17:39
We recently opened up a little airpark, shaking up a "rural" city-area in an undisclosed South American country.

Do you line up with the bullring for 26?

Jim59
12th Jan 2012, 17:53
Over the years, many glider pilots have operated gliders from various farmers fields etc.

If gliders winch/auto tow to a height of more than 60 metres a CAA winch permission is required. Aerotow launching is OK without permission as is bungee launching. Both subject to 28 day rule as stated by others.

piperboy84
29th Apr 2012, 15:13
I bought an old brickworks with 30 acres next to my house and have built a strip and use the old factory as a hangar. I'm surrounded by a nature reserve and a sand quarry. One day I asked the head guy from the reserve if the plane bothers or is a danger to the wildlife? His response “For f**k sake the birds are not stupid, they’re gonna get the f*ck out of your way!.

Now that is my kind of environmentalist.

Dave Gittins
30th Apr 2012, 12:21
Maybe you'd like to run that one by Sully and Skiles ?

Maoraigh1
30th Apr 2012, 21:10
Maybe the geese didn't anticipate the climb angle of the Airbus, and didn't have the speed to get out of it's way.

A and C
1st May 2012, 06:54
As soon as someone objects to any planning changes the first place they go is the environment, I can remember the introduction of red kites into Wycombe area.

As soon as this happend the usual suspects in the anti airfield community started telling the press that the aircraft were affecting the birds.

Twenty years on the reintroduction of the birds has been a great success dispite the alleged problems with aircraft.

Clearly a NIMBY with grasp any straw for publicity.

piperboy84
26th Jul 2012, 17:01
One day I asked the head guy from the reserve if the plane bothers or is a danger to the wildlife? His response “For f**k sake the birds are not stupid, they’re gonna get the f*ck out of your way!.

Well turns out he was wrong, hit one of them yesterday, broke my friggin landing light out on the wing, the little "bar steward" !

Monocock
26th Jul 2012, 18:27
Sad innit ... my part of deepest "quiet" rural Surrey leaves me deafened by chain saws, huge tractors and other agricultural equipment for large parts of the year with little I can do about it ....

Utterly unbelievable. :rolleyes::ugh: