PDA

View Full Version : Few engine out questions

WhySoTough
9th Jan 2012, 08:40
As your secondary flight plan, would you usually select your departure airport as your arrival in case of engine failure(provided weather and visibility are good)?
Are you allowed to land heavier than your maximum landing weight in this case?

Also. On the Engine out SID, I don't quiet understand it fully.
There is a table that lists temperatures, and whether you can do the procedure or not, depends on your temp and weight.
If not within the margin, what are you going to do then?
I'm a fresh flight school graduate and we never had "EO SIDs" so if somebody can please help me out?

Also, why does it say on the FMA CATIII single, or CATIII dual.
What is the difference?
Thanks!

hawk37
9th Jan 2012, 09:43
In all cases, follow country regulations, AFM and/or company procedures. In their absence, consider the following.

1. Depends on the fms. Some allow you to quickly load an approach at the departure airfield, so use of a secondary flight plan may not be necessary

2. Yes. An overweight landing is generally considered appropriate in a situation such as an engine failure and return to departure. Of course, maintenance will need to conduct their checks afterwards.

3. If the chart is for a specific runway and/or flap configuration, select another runway or flap configuration. Use max allowed thrust. Use any headwind available to improve take off and climb performance (gradient). Consider effect of runway slope. Off load freight to decrease weight. Wait until the temperature cools enough or the altimeter setting rises enough. Basically, you can't go unless your numbers meet the requirements

4. FMA CATIII single, or CATIII dual: No idea

Checkboard
9th Jan 2012, 11:54
FMA CATIII single, or CATIII dual

The system is configured for an ILS autoland and is operating with either single redundancy or dual redundancy.

Cat III Dual - system is "Fail operational", and a single failure (of generator, autopilot, ILS receiver) will not prevent an automatic landing.

Cat III Single - system is "Fail Passive", and a single failure will not result in a control problem, however an automatic landing will not be possible. (i.e. a failure of a generator, autopilot etc may result in you hand flying, which will require a Cat 2 or 1 landing minima, depending on the failure.)

barit1
9th Jan 2012, 12:33
When operating in very hot climes, it is usual to schedule long-range (ie heavy) departures in the very early AM to get the coolest part of the day. But if a delay occurs, it's often necessary to offload payload to be legal for the hotter TO ambient.