PDA

View Full Version : Canadian XC time

felixflyer
8th Jan 2012, 21:18
Hi

Please could somebody tell me, or point me in the right direction as to where I can find a definition of cross country time in regards to Canadian flight training?

I have a JAR PPL but a lot of my flying has been out to a waypoint and back without a landing. As a result this is not classed as XC PIC time in the USA and I am short of the 50 hours requirement to start my FAA/IR.

Due to the VISA issues etc. I am looking into the possibility of doing a Canadian IR instead. Will I face the same problem?

Many Thanks

+TSRA
9th Jan 2012, 03:44
Yes you will.

From Standard 421.26(4) which are the requirements for a Private Pilot Licence:

(ii) 12 hours solo flight time, including 5 hours cross-country flight time with a flight of a minimum of 150 nautical miles which shall include 2 full stop landings at points other than the point of departure.

felixflyer
9th Jan 2012, 08:08
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have around 35 hours that counts as XC time in the USA. I also have the long XC flight. The problem is that in order to start an instrument rating in the USA you need 50 XC PIC time in your logbook. I have heard it is the same in Canada but is the definition of XC time the same? i.e. requires a landaway at another airfield.

Regards

J.O.
9th Jan 2012, 11:52
There is no direct definition for a cross country flight in the Canadian regulations. That said, there are numerous references to a "local flight" as being one within 25 miles of the departure airport with no landings away from the departure airport. From that one might infer that a cross country flight is any flight which is greater than 25 miles from the departure airport or one which includes a landing at another airport.

felixflyer
9th Jan 2012, 15:04
Thanks,

Looks like I have the required hours to do a Canadian IR then.

Regards