PDA

View Full Version : Lost comm debate

upnaway
5th Jan 2012, 01:05
Hi all, my first post here, I'm a fairly new IFR pilot without much real-world experience. Here's the situation: flying from KYIP (Detroit area) to KCGF (Cleveland area) around the lake, and would like to know how to correctly file and plan for lost comm for an ILS 24 approach. Some background: in multiple places I've read that it's advisable to file a route ending with the IAF for a likely approach, specifically to advise ATC of what I'm likely to do in case of lost comm. ILS 24 approach at KCGF does not have any kind of course reversal (PT or hold) for traffic approaching from the west. The approach plate does not explicitly prohibit eastbound traffic from using ILS 24 either. See the problem here? There's only one IAF at WEIDS and it's more than a 180 turn to head inbound! So, in case of lost comm, options are:

1) Don't file to WEIDS, if lost comm head to the airport, stay at MSA, hope to make visual contact and descent/land visually. If still IMC, fly outbound towards the IAF and execute an improvise a course reversal.

2) Include a round-about routing CXR-ZITER-WEIDS in the route which sets me up nicely to reach the IAF without sharp turns, but utterly confuses anyone looking at it not thinking along the same lines I am.

Which option is expected / recommended by ATC? This is the first time I've run into an ILS with only one IAF and no course reveral at all.

Thanks!

bucket_and_spade
5th Jan 2012, 01:32
Hi mate,

Don't know the particulars of your specific area of ops but wouldn't you just follow the FAA regs for comms failure - ATC will expect you to do just that?

B&S