PDA

View Full Version : Explaining unstable approach to passengers over the PA

Herr Piece
3rd Jan 2012, 22:09
Recently we flew a go around due to being unstable on approach, not fully configured/stable etc at 1000ft AGL. I standby by my colleagues decision to go around, however how does one explain the reason for the go around to the passengers over the PA.

According to our manual the Captain is required to explain the reason for any go around to the passengers over the PA.

"Unstable approach" seems a little vague to me and I think this could cause alarm for some passengers.

Capt Claret
4th Jan 2012, 00:27
"Ladies and Gentlemen, Capt Bloggs speaking. We were unable to safely land of the approach and are repositioning for another approach. There is no cause for concern and I apologise for any inconvenience."

Northbeach
4th Jan 2012, 18:46
however how does one explain the reason for the go around to the passengers over the PA

All of our passengers deserve our best effort all of the time regardless of who they are or where they came from. The first step is to know your audience. As what you say and how much you say might vary according to the audience. Are your passengers an aircraft full of immigrants who seldom fly making a once in a lifetime pilgrimage with whom you may have no common language or are they seasoned business travellers commuting to some busy industrial/political hub airport?

Generally they should be given a reason for the go around. The fact that I did not plan well and was unstable is probably not the best thing to say because it will not calm their anxiety, contribute to the safety of the flight or make the Cabin Crew's job any easier.

I would be truthful but vague; something like the following may be appropriate depending on your conditions:

"Ladies and Gentlemen as we approach XYZ airport we constantly monitor many variables like Air Traffic Control, other aircraft, changing weather patterns, speed, rates of closure, wind and many other variables in the air and on the ground. When any one of those variables is not acceptable to us we will discontinue the approach and come back around when we know it will be safer. We will be safely on the ground at XYZ airport in a few minutes."

All of the above is true, emphasizes your commitment to safety and reaffirms your position of authority. You, as the crew, will choose the conditions when you will land. You will do your best to keep the following from happening.

cause alarm for some passengers.

It helps to have thought through some of these scenarios ahead of time. The moment I am faced with an emergency return due to some problem, a go-around owing to my not being stable, is not the time I would come up with my best impromptu speech.

As with most things; proper prior preparation prevents pitifully poor performance.

If you can't control your heart rate, the pitch of your voice or the speed of your delivery do not reach for the PA; that is the wrong time to talk. When you are calm, know what you are going to say and can control how you say it that is the time to make a PA following a go-around or some other flight abnormality.

On the subject of PAs recognize you will not find consensus on a forum such as this. Whatever you say or do not say somebody is likely to find fault. Do the best you can, improve with experience, evaluate and apply the constructive criticism and ignore the unhelpful disparagement.

Rail Engineer
4th Jan 2012, 19:42
Landing at GRU.

I was flying KLM, and close to the runway end our pilot elected to make a go around during a heavy rainstorm. He simply announced that he had not considered it safe to continue with landing and had therefore aborted that landing and would make a second attempt provided that he was satisfied it was safe to do so, otherwise he would divert.

All very professional and did not cause any alarm that I could tell.

We landed on the second attempt, with much appreciative cheering and clapping from the Brazil contingent - who do this on any landing in my experience !

Herr Piece
6th Jan 2012, 22:07
The fact that I did not plan well and was unstable is probably not the best thing to say because it will not calm their anxiety,

Not to say we did not plan well. There are many reasons for an approach to become unstable besides not planning well.

Dan Winterland
9th Jan 2012, 02:25
Whatever the reasons for a GA, I expalin that the circumstances made it less than ideal for a landing on this particular approach and another approach will be made. Our PAs are made in Englsh, but a many of our passengers don't speak it and rely on a translation from the cabin crew. You need to factor this into anything you say.

Capt Claret
9th Jan 2012, 03:12
My last go around, the explanatory PA would go like this :-

Ladies and gentlemen, our approach was unstable, I can't tell you why because we simply don't know. It was what we call a what the f#%*s it doing now moment. We're repositioning for another approach and hope that the box doesn't do it again!

ps, as it happens, the bloody box went into ALT HOLD mode at 1206'. 😳

BOAC
10th Jan 2012, 11:04
If you are a 'handling' F/O and the Captain has asked you to apologise to the punters

"Ladies and Gentlemen - the Captain has asked me to apologise to you for our breaking off that approach/hard landing/sudden braking on the taxyway etc etc" - works like a charm.:)

scanman24
12th Jan 2012, 03:02
If you're reeeeeeally short on things to say, try something like: "Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, we've had to abort our landing into XXX this afternoon due to an earlier-landing aircraft not exiting the runway in-time. We are preparing for a second attempt currently, and hope to be on the ground shortly. Thank you for your patience and again I do apologize for this inconvenience."

Happened to me once as a passenger... Most passengers will believe you even if you're lying.

beachbunny
12th Jan 2012, 03:21
Tell them there was a dog on the runway, very believable, and they'll not be able to see the runway to check anyway :ok:

BB

Piltdown Man
12th Jan 2012, 04:02
Personally I think the KISS principle applies here. The PAX also deserve the truth but you can leave a few bits out. Something like:

"Ladies & Gentlemen. I sorry but we were unable to continue the last approach. We are now positioning ourselves for another approach and will be landing shortly. Thank you for your patience."

If anybody asks when they get off you can tell them more then.

PM