PDA

View Full Version : ATC work exp

LeicesterFox
3rd Jan 2012, 17:52
Hi!
On behalf of my son I'm asking about Work Experience involving Aviation, Airlines or Airports. He is set that he would like a career in this sector and is certain he wants to do Air Traffic Control. Last year he had to do a day of Work Exp which he managed to arrange half a day alongside the controllers at EMA in the Radar Room and up the tower. Now this year he has got to do a week, as I said he is looking to be involved with aviation.
He is a sensible boy and keen aswell as being intelligent. Has anybody any suggestions or can somebody help even further, I feel this is a great chance to do something he enjoys and get him away from the unchallenging modern education system which fails too much of our talent.
Thanks in advance.

Dan Dare
3rd Jan 2012, 19:38
I would highly recommend a handling agent for experience of what happens at an airport (assuming he doesn't want to or can't go back to ATC).

A list of those at EMA can be found here (http://www.eastmidlandsairport.com/emaweb.nsf/Content/HandlingAgents)

yates
3rd Jan 2012, 19:46
Half a day or a whole day is a privilage, a week is something akin to a blessing from the Pope (if you believe all that mumbo jumbo).
It isn't impossible, indee it was very common at one time with such placements being organised via the the HR department in conjunction with the Airport MD. It would then involve your son spending half or a whole day with each department over the week, not just ATC.
But with every airport department, not just ATC being such a highly regulated workplace, its very unlikely that it would happen now unless,
1. Your son could prove that he has a definate interest in airports as a whole, not just one area and,
2. You have high level contacts.
By all means contact the Airport MD at EMA (or another airport nearby) but budgets are so tightly governed these days, there's only just enough time to cover their own staff, never mind visitors, so don't be dissapointed if you get a negative reply.
May I suggest that you aim your sights a little bit lower and (with due respect to them) ask a local flying club if they would take on your son for a week. He'd then get the absolutely invaluable experience of being a "Hanger Rat", i.e. doing all the crappy jobs whilst meeting some wonderful people who have eons of aviation experience. My son did exactly that and had a great time, he went on to learn to fly with them and is now an is and Engineer and Commercial Pilot.

No matter what he wants to in aviation, your son should expect to start low and aim high, do everything to get a taste of what it's like to work in our world and he'll be OK.

Hope that helps, good luck.

LeicesterFox
5th Jan 2012, 18:54
Thank You both for your reply.
Since my post, we have found EMA's work experience application form aswell as asked a couple of local flying clubs regarding a placement. My son has already had 2 trial flights at Leicester so maybe doing his placement there could be a great idea. We have also contacted Servisair and Signature Flight Support, which means my son now has many different routes he is looking at.
Thanks Again.