PDA

View Full Version : What you usually have set on "rad nav page" during T/O?

LikeABoss
1st Jan 2012, 22:17
Just reading, and please do correct me if I am wrong(probably am).

You will have the VOR used for departure tuned, the course should be entered (runway heading) on the left side under VOR1
Do you need to have your ILS freq tuned here for T/O?
On the right side(VOR2) you should have the VOR set again, and the inbound course for holding in case of engine out operation? (if permitted due to temp and weight).
If not, what do you have set there?

Also. On secondary flight plan, we should copy active, and then select the same runway we took off from for ILS approach for arrival, in case of engine failure?

misd-agin
2nd Jan 2012, 00:37
Normally nothing. If there's an engine out procedure that would be in Rte 2(if available) and/or Fix/Nav pages.

Some guys go nuts on every leg and load up tons of stuff - inbound course, outbound, ex wife's birthday, girl friend(s) phone numbers, etc, etc.

It's especially funny to watch a guy loading emergency return data on a CFB day. And then the decision, "oh, what do I do?", if the situation would require one plan below X altitude and a different plan X altitude. What to do, what to do!?!?

"I'm looking out the window. YOU can put whatever YOU want in the box." :ugh:

B737NG
2nd Jan 2012, 06:19
The more you "try" to put into the box the more you are able to screw up. The departure is covered by the SID. If you fly RWY-HDG only then the first FIX or WPT is on top of your LEGS Page. The CRS, HDG´s and all other inputs, NDB´s are also available in some areas in the World, QDM / QDR´s, would complete the confusioning but colourful apprearence of the ND. In other word´s, FIX-page helps a identify a turning point and all other input could rather overload the information in the very moment where you have to have a Plan what to do and where to go. E/O SID on RTE2, select, verify activate - execute, that would be enough to do and then fly a handful Airplane. Most Magenta Line fliers would anyway be disturbed by the Green and Blue Color ..............

If you have a Engine Failure on Departure, you are most likely too heavy to land. Fuel dumping takes time and there is enough time to select the DEP/ARR Page and the Approach Proceedure. As soon as you select the RWY and the ILS Approach the Autotuning set´s all for you, except the Minima on the ND.

When the weather/visibility is good and you are light, nothing prevents you to turn the Airplane around in a VIS-Pattern and land again, that is usualy done by looking out of the window. The only thing you need is selecting F20.

Neupielot
2nd Jan 2012, 06:54
You will have the VOR used for departure tuned, the course should be entered (runway heading) on the left side under VOR1

I don't. Most departures are r nav deps now im guessing.

Do you need to have your ILS freq tuned here for T/O?

nope. Only used for line-up in low-vis then turn off to use "yaw bar" during take off.

On the right side(VOR2) you should have the VOR set again, and the inbound course for holding in case of engine out operation? (if permitted due to temp and weight).
If not, what do you have set there?

nothing set. Auto-tune. for holding- use fmgc.

Also. On secondary flight plan, we should copy active, and then select the same runway we took off from for ILS approach for arrival, in case of engine failure?

Most ppl do i think. Its either that or some ppl use it to plan for a change of departure runway with all the perf data in.

Hope if helps.

Slasher
2nd Jan 2012, 10:18
I set initial outbound radial on VOR 1 in the box and holding
on No 2, unless there's a critical radial shortly after the first
and I set that. I've been out of CAN and PEK where the FMC
has for some reason after TO gone ape**** laterally, so I flick
easily over to VOR which prevents any panic.

In the 7 years I've been stuck on this thing its only happened
a few times, but its always been climbing into heavy traffic at
critical airports.

In my old 737-300 days we got an odd mapshift which meant
the setting up of navaids was pretty important.

I bung the EO procedure on the secondary FLT PLN using the
expected landing runway for that port, or if the weather's too
****ty for return I set up the TO alternate on it.

Checkboard
2nd Jan 2012, 21:21
If you are departing with visual conditions - you can leave it auto tuned.

If you are departing IFR on a standard SID, you need to monitor the aids that SID is based on below the MSA (in the same way that you are required to tune approach aids for an instrument approach when below MSA, even if flying as an overlay, with LNAV selected).

If you are departing IFR on a P-RNAV (RNP 1) SID - and trained/approved etc you can leave it auto tuned.

I personally don't bother tuning aids for an engine failure, as it is such a remote possibility - unless it was IFR in the hills somewhere and I thought I could need the aid before I could ask for it to be tuned.