PDA

View Full Version : Propfans.

pcpilot2
1st Jan 2012, 22:08
Something to discuss/argue about going into the new year.

Both Boeing and Airbus are bringing out upgrades soon,Max and Neo,to get better fuel efficiency from their airframes.Why not go the whole hog and bring out propfans.

The 717 was used as a test bed,back then it was the MD87 I think.Airbus are building the A400,while not a propfan is one step down and the experience would not go astray.

What do the PPruners of the world think.

MaximumAlpha
2nd Jan 2012, 01:26
I guess noise will be an issue. It may also depend on how quickly we run out of petroleum. If we run out soon economy will justify using them. However, if we switch to Bio-fuel soon then we may not see them.

I for one would like to see them on the top of a BWB A/C

just my 2 cents worth ;)

aerobat77
2nd Jan 2012, 12:29
i think there is not a market for this. passengers wants to fly with jets. even when the propfan as well some turboprops are very modern and efficient the "Normal" seatpayer does not realize it .

in nowadays in general everything is build where we have a market for and nothing is build where we do not have one.

cheers !

Wizofoz
2nd Jan 2012, 12:53
Yes, they tested UDFs and the test results were only so-so.

Slower, noisier, though with a reasonble fuel saving.

Still, if they thought they could sell them, there would be impetus to develop the technology- there doesn't seem to be at the moment.

The A400 as a military Turbo Prop is not really any kind of real comparison- different solutions to different requirements.

Intruder
2nd Jan 2012, 19:44
i think there is not a market for this. passengers wants to fly with jets. even when the propfan as well some turboprops are very modern and efficient the "Normal" seatpayer does not realize it .
I disagree.

In the US, Horizon Air advertised a complete conversion from turboprops to small jets 8 or 10 years ago. Two or 3 years ago they announced an about-face, and are [nearly] complete with their conversion to an all Q400 fleet.

With fuel prices continually rising (even with short-lived dips on occasion), fuel costs will continue to drive the market. Jets with 60 seats or less are on their way out of US fleets, and the turboprops are making a comeback. The UDF may become practicable with advances in fan blade technology.