PDA

View Full Version : Flybe/PTC 2012 Part Sponsorship

MUFC_fan
30th Dec 2011, 17:28
2012 scheme is live and kicking...

Flybe Part Sponsored and Mentored Cadetship (http://www.pilottrainingcollege.com/FlybeProgrammeIntroduction.aspx)

BerksFlyer
30th Dec 2011, 19:51
Similar to the FTE scheme I guess? Doesn't give much away on the site, probably as it's early days.

captain.weird
30th Dec 2011, 20:35
No, that from FTE is a MPL programme.

BerksFlyer
30th Dec 2011, 22:19
I was more referring to what the sponsorship amounts to. The cost of the MPL is generally similar to the traditional fATPL at integrated schools and seeing as it's a tagged course the scheme of training is largely irrelevant. You're applying to end up flying for flybe regardless of what licence you get prior to the magic 1500 hours. That said, the site doesn't even give away whether or not it's CPL/IR or MPL, so don't assume.

Paperplanes89
31st Dec 2011, 10:58
This may be a silly question...If I took compass tests with PTC would my result be stored with PTC or on the compass software itself - meaning I couldn't retake the test for a year (thats generally the rule, correct?) whether it be at PTC for flybe or at Oxford for the FPP in August/September 2012 or FTE for xyz airlines mentored scheme (for example)... I know the RAF aptitude computers store all your data and know when you last took the test?

ljm10
2nd Jan 2012, 18:00
Trying to do bit of research on this programme and info seems limited.

Can anyone tell me what sort of licence you will get if you were to get into this programme and will you be guaranteed a job?

Also its says part-sponsered on theflybe website..anybody any idea how much and pTC usually finance usually works?

Thanks

Otto Throttle
2nd Jan 2012, 18:12
The licence is a CPL/IR (frozen ATPL if you prefer), and the sponsorship amounts to an upfront contribution of £19,800 towards the total cost of the course. However, the 'sponsorship' is in reality an interest free loan, with payment deferred until commencing employment with Flybe, repaid over 5 years from salary.

There is no cast iron, 100% guarantee of employment, but sponsored cadets are always given priority during airline recruitment & Flybe have consistently been able to employ all their sponsored cadets over the last few years despite the very poor jobs market.

ljm10
2nd Jan 2012, 18:31
many thanks for the reply otto - that clears all that up rather quickly :D can I ask where you got all the info?

does this not sound like a rather good opportunity in sponsered scheme terms..similar to the recent BA scheme bar the £20k upfront cost?

just wondering whats the catch/the reason why people on the prun here havnt been going crazy talking about it like they usually do!?

Deano777
2nd Jan 2012, 18:51
ljm10

There is no catch. It's one of, if not the fairest and honest offers open to wannabes in today's climate. Grab it with both hands.

ljm10
2nd Jan 2012, 18:55
cheers deano for the reply..just seems like theres not much interest on it at the minute which makes me question why.

anyone know what a cadet pilot salary starts on? Found the direct entry salary being around £26K which aint that much.

Deano777
2nd Jan 2012, 19:19
£26k isn't that much, but a few points on the salary:

You'll still be the highest paid turbo prop F/O in the country compared to other companies.
After year 1 your salary will jump at least £3k p/a
You get nice increments per annum there after.
After a few years with the company you'll live comfortably on the salary.
Your real term debt should be manageable compared to other "integrated" courses.

As for Flybe:

You get paid from day one of employment.
You do not pay for your type rating like you would with CTC etc.
You get paid expenses during training.
We still get crew food (some like it, some don't)
You get a company pension
Reasonable time to command if you're willing to move.
Job is almost as secure as it can get.
Good career prospects with lots of jets arriving.
Good flying
Great people.

There's loads more to list, but that should keep you going for now :)

ljm10
2nd Jan 2012, 19:27
would you be a employee of flybe deano? :ok:

when you put it into that context then yes it sounds very reasonable compared to other courses.

and to be honest if they could guarantee you a job after training I could live with the pay for a few years! whats the chances in your opinion of not getting a job offer upon completion of your licence (lets assume one would get onto the training course to start with)

thanks

turbine100
2nd Jan 2012, 19:41
If Flybe have opened up their scheme, are they going to take anyone already registered on their online recruitment database in the future?

Deano777
2nd Jan 2012, 19:50
ljm10

I do work for them of course, but I tell it like it is. It isn't all singing and dancing inside Flybe, we have our gripes and issues, but if you compare it to what is open to wannabes today then it is almost unbeatable.
The reason why it is not talked about too much on here is probably down to a bit of snobbery where wannabes just want to fly jets regardless of the terms & conditions.

I cannot see them ever not taking on a sponsored cadet. I have never known it in the past where they have failed to take one on at the end of the course. Infact during the worse recession in living memory the company honoured all the cadet employment over and above the main hold pool. The caveat of course is that you come up to scratch during training and during the type conversion. If not then you are leaving yourself open to not being taken on.

turbine100

Nothing official from inside but in my humble opinion (& only my opinion) we're going to have to recruit sooner rather than later. We're already running low on F/Os and there's still a fair few who are either working their notices or they're in hold pools waiting for a start date (mainly BA).

BerksFlyer
2nd Jan 2012, 20:18
does this not sound like a rather good opportunity in sponsered scheme terms..similar to the recent BA scheme bar the £20k upfront cost?

just wondering whats the catch/the reason why people on the prun here havnt been going crazy talking about it like they usually do!?.

The reason (other than what Deano777 said) that there's not as much interest in this as there was the BA scheme was that BA were offering to secure the finance for the training. With this flybe scheme, it'll be up to you to provide/secure the finance for the training, minus the 20k.

There is no catch, it's a good scheme - so long as you have the money/assets to fund it should you get the gig.

ljm10
2nd Jan 2012, 21:06
deano - yes I understand competely. Can I ask how you have come through to the position you are in today?

berksflyer - yes I did not realise you would have to secure the rest after putting up the initial £20K. That rules it out for me unfortunately :(

thanks all for your info

Jaisalmer
2nd Jan 2012, 21:28
Interesting to see that, unlike the recently launched Jerez FTE MPL intake, PTC will be charging a fairly typical assessment fee should candidates be invited to selection at Waterford. I wonder how they justify that?

Also interesting that FlyBe will be running this CLP/IR course intake, in contrast to the aforementioned MPL scheme.

Good Luck.

flyingfox320
2nd Jan 2012, 21:45
Hi @Deano777,

is that scheme only for pilots without any experiance or they will take those with completed MCC etc too?:)

Thx

Matt7504
2nd Jan 2012, 22:47
This scheme has caught my eye, however I am a little curious as to what they are looking for? I'm currently an undergraduate studying for an aviation related degree whilst doing my PPL in my first year and then going on to do my ATPL and all the bells and whistles that come with that in my 2nd and 3rd years. Is one supposed to start from scratch or is prior experience a bonus?

Deano777
3rd Jan 2012, 21:30
ljm10

Of course you can ask, check your PMs

flyingfox320

As far as I am aware it isn't open to you if you already have the MCC etc, but don't quote me on it. I think you have to be zero hours because basically it's a full time conversion to CPL/IR. No harm in enquiring though.

PrestonPilot
4th Jan 2012, 11:49
Ok, so I clicked "Apply" yestereday and the only information I think I had to give was my name and phone number pretty much, so they know nothing at all about me.
I thought it was just a pre-register your interest thing.
Anyway today, I missed the call but it was from PTC about my application to the scheme and I have recieved 2 emails stating that I can take a pilot assessment day for £220, and the closing date for applications is near the end of feb.
Does anyone else find this strange? That effectively means they will invite anyone at all to do these tests...it lists a whole load of places you can do these tests with heathrow being the earliest, and then dublin, birmingham and edinburgh before the closing date.
You can do it in manchester on the closing date and then belfast, newcastle and stockholm after the closing date. Another indicator they are just inviting people to apply to PTC because if you take these assessment days after the closing date, it's not very useful for you because you've missed the boat?
Has anyone else done this and got a reply?
The next step is for me to phone them and pay £220 on the phone and they haven't seen my CV or anything like that.

edit: oh and 1 more thing, where did the poster above get his information the course costs etc...there is no mention on the website or in the email about how this works.
thanks

Bearcat F8F
4th Jan 2012, 12:48
I booked my assessment day yesterday. You can ask them over the phone for any finance/ cost related things before you book anything. All I got out of them was that its 81K, FlyBe gives you an interest free loan of 20K, and you need to fork out the rest yourself. However I was told to contact Barcleys as they have a link with PTC and can offer a better tailored loan for pilot training than any other high street bank. Weather or not it works the same way as with BBVA, I have no idea.

And with regards to no CV thing, I guess the idea is that once all places are filled they will close it for further applicants. Could be entirely wrong though.

Anyone know how many will be selected?

Otto Throttle
4th Jan 2012, 14:26
Entry requirements to the sponsored Flybe courses typically have a cut off around the 60 hour mark. All cadets undergo a full CPL or MPL course depending on the partner FTO, so interested applicants are ab initio rather than part-qualified.

There is nothing sinister about PTC offering a 'traditional' CPL/IR against the MPL at FTE. It is simply the case that the different schools have different approvals, and Flybe happily recruit their pilots from both routes. As a company, they currently use 4 different FTOs for their sponsored training - 2 running MPL courses and the ohter 2 CPL/IR courses.

The lack of interest in the PTC course is likely to be down to the fact most people don't know PTC very well as it is a relative newcomer on the FTO scene; there appears to be a small but vocal campaign against the FTO for reasons best known only to the posters themselves (Flybe have no concerns it would appear); and finally, many potential pilots look down their noses at Flybe as an employer because your job will be flying a Dash 8 and not a 737/320 and the salary is only modest.

As for future recruitment from the general Flybe hold pool, it is increasingly likley. The numbers undergoing sponsored training simply don't meet the forecasted requirement going forward. However, numbers will be low, so don't get all excited at the prospect of hundreds of new vacancies opening up.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrott
4th Jan 2012, 18:40
There doesn't seem to be much info about this on the web (or can I just not find it!):confused:

Anyway, I got a call from PTC today, and they said that they were doing the MPL:confused:; I'd be happier if it were the CPL/IR though.

I get the impression they just want hordes of applicants all paying their £220 for a$$e$$ment regardle$$ of their aptitude:suspect: I guess we all have bills to pay.

I had a look at the FTE website, there's not much info there, but they say that the part sponsorship comes in the form of a £19800 repayment in the 1st 5 years of employment. Similar to the BA FPP, but not as much refunded.

Anybody heard anything from FTE?

Scott Duch
4th Jan 2012, 18:51
The FTE/FlyBe scheme closed on the 16th of December. I think i'm on the first day of assessments - the 10th of this month,

Assessment is free and done at FlyBe's training academy in Exeter. You obviously have to pay for travel too and from the academy.

Phase 3 with FlyBe/FTE is the FTE selection procedure as far as I'm aware (aptitude, verbal reasoning, numeracy, numerical reasoning, numerical and an interview with someone from FTE). Phase 4 is then the FlyBe interview.

Deal is the same as PTC - £19800 contribution from FlyBe to be paid back over a 5 year period. Course cost was £85k if I remember correctly.

Jaisalmer
4th Jan 2012, 19:06
I had a look at the FTE website, there's not much info there, but they say that the part sponsorship comes in the form of a £19800 repayment in the 1st 5 years of employment. Similar to the BA FPP, but not as much refunded.

This is in no way similar to the BA FPP.

The £20k initially received by the successful candidate from FlyBe is to help finance the initial cost of obtaining the MPL. This sum will be paid back in full, interest free, to FlyBe from the candidates regular salary. Not to mention the repayments on top of that to service the loan taken out for the remaining £65k should it be necessary.

teawhite&none
5th Jan 2012, 00:23
Hi guys,
Seems to be a lot of questions about this. I sat the assessment last year so may be able to help. PTC invite everybody to phase 1 of the assessment (this is where it differs to other schemes/schools who will often have an application stage to narrow it down initially). From what I can remember this stage involved a group exercise followed by a couple of hours of compass tests, tests in maths, physics and aviation knowledge and an interview. Your scores from this will determine a) whether you are accepted to PTC and b) if you will be put forward to flybe. We were told the outcome of this stage on the day, however it was a long wait between this stage and finding out if we'd been invited to the final stage with flybe at Exeter (even if you are on the first assessment you won't find out if you have reached the final stage with flybe until the closing day when all of the assessments have taken place. Flybe then decide from everybody who is put forward who they want to interview). Hope that clears up some of your concerns re the application process. If you have a way of funding the course then it is an excellent opportunity that I would definitely recommend. (Another note to consider though, while the sponsorship by flybe is fantastic I believe you still have to be able to prove you have the funds available to cover the whole cost of the course without this contribution before you can start training.).
Good luck all who apply :ok:

whammy
5th Jan 2012, 01:06
seems like I've just missed out on this one :ugh:
did the assessment with PTC last month and got accepted, so I must give them a ring to see if its possible that they could put me forward for this aswell. dunno what the chances are of them doing it but theres no harm in trying!

Bearcat F8F
5th Jan 2012, 07:44
Hi guys,
Seems to be a lot of questions about this. I sat the assessment last year so may be able to help. PTC invite everybody to phase 1 of the assessment (this is where it differs to other schemes/schools who will often have an application stage to narrow it down initially). From what I can remember this stage involved a group exercise followed by a couple of hours of compass tests, tests in maths, physics and aviation knowledge and an interview. Your scores from this will determine a) whether you are accepted to PTC and b) if you will be put forward to flybe. We were told the outcome of this stage on the day, however it was a long wait between this stage and finding out if we'd been invited to the final stage with flybe at Exeter (even if you are on the first assessment you won't find out if you have reached the final stage with flybe until the closing day when all of the assessments have taken place. Flybe then decide from everybody who is put forward who they want to interview). Hope that clears up some of your concerns re the application process. If you have a way of funding the course then it is an excellent opportunity that I would definitely recommend. (Another note to consider though, while the sponsorship by flybe is fantastic I believe you still have to be able to prove you have the funds available to cover the whole cost of the course without this contribution before you can start training.).
Good luck all who apply http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Thanks for the info. Quick question.

Do we need to have proof of funds by the 1st selection day or at some point after this? I still need to contact some banks to see if I can get a loan.

Thanks

WhiskyTangoFoxtrott
5th Jan 2012, 09:57
This is in no way similar to the BA FPP.
Yep - you're right - my mistake.

Flybe Q400 FOs start on roughly 25K, so subtracting the sponsorship repayment and servicing the loan won't leave you with much.

I've been informed that PTC do CPL/MEIR and NOT the MPL (which has to be a good thing if Flybe DON'T offer you employment at the end of training). They also don't need proof of funding until after selection.

Good Luck

teawhite&none
5th Jan 2012, 20:26
Bearcat, as far as I know (but I'm not sure so you really are best asking someone at PTC about this, they are always very helpful over the phone) you need to prove you have access to the funds by the day you enroll with the college. From personal experience I would recommend speaking to the banks ASAP to make sure you are eligible for a loan as there may not be a lot of time between finding out you have a place and starting the course (and believe me you don't want to find yourself in the position of having to turn it down after all of your hard work! :( )

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
5th Jan 2012, 20:55
I've been informed that PTC do CPL/MEIR and NOT the MPL (which has to be a good thing if Flybe DON'T offer you employment at the end of training

Actually, the MPL requires a Type Rating as part of the requirements for gaining the licence. Thus, you have paid for a license and must get the TR to get your monies worth. As the airline pays for it, surely they wouldnt just put you in the hanger, under covers so to speak, having made that investment. BE also pay for your HOTAC and give you an allowance for food. Why not get their pound of flesh asap?

Bearcat F8F
5th Jan 2012, 21:58
teawhite, thanks for that. I will begin the quest on Monday.

For now though I have a small issue in that they have just sent me a form to fill out and return it to them within 72 hours, where they ask what steps I have taken to arrange finance. We need to answer if we have the funds in place. Obviously given the fact that I have only applied 2 days ago, I will be forced to tick the box with "No". I hope this doesn't mean anything during this initial stage...

whammy
6th Jan 2012, 14:22
@Bearcat
I replied no aswell and it had no bearing at all on your progression at the first stage

PrestonPilot
6th Jan 2012, 14:31
I spoke to them on the phone as well, and can echo what has been said as regards to finance already here.
I have 1 question and that is, once you have finished training and you have paid your £61,000 will we then have to pay for a TR? How much extra would this be? Or do they pay for that?

average-punter
6th Jan 2012, 19:53
I believe at flybe you are bonded for the cost of the type-rating and are not required to pay upfront.

MightyDucks
8th Jan 2012, 00:33
Hi all,

Just wondering if there will be another course starting later in the year? I only ask because i'm in Australia at the moment and I won't be back in Ireland until July.

Also would a bad leaving cert (A-levels) reflect badly or do they even take that into consideration?

Cheers

UAU242
8th Jan 2012, 09:56
A little off topic, but since there are guys in the know on this thread already...what are the chances of flybe ever taking on turbo prop experienced F/Os in the future? Or is it always going to be cadets from now on?
Cheers

howflytrg
8th Jan 2012, 11:26
Depends how many realise positions in QR, GF, BA, U2, EK and how soon.

Boe787ing
11th Jan 2012, 14:24
Has any one applied for the skills test? If so could they share the link that PTC have sent them for the skills test revision?

Kind Regards,

Morris542
12th Jan 2012, 17:48
Has any one applied for the skills test? If so could they share the link that PTC have sent them for the skills test revision?

That will be sent in your confirmation email.

Roope
16th Jan 2012, 10:44
Hi guys.

I'm still confused with all these weird program names.. ("part-sponsored", "mentored", "cadetship"..) Can anyone please confirm if they're only taking ab-initio people, or fATPL/MCC 'pilots' as well?

Thanks a bunch.

Boe787ing
16th Jan 2012, 10:49
Thanks I was trying to see if it is realistically possible to revise material for an exam only so long away.

17thhour
16th Jan 2012, 15:25
How long did it take for you guys to receive a confirmation email?

Bearcat F8F
16th Jan 2012, 21:00
How long did it take for you guys to receive a confirmation email?
2 days. Phone up if it takes too long and remind them of it.

Bearcat F8F
16th Jan 2012, 21:04
Does anyone know if the Selection Day fee is refundable?

Thanks

mcmolloy
17th Jan 2012, 10:10
No they won't refund it.

G1991
26th Jan 2012, 03:14
If this helps anyone I'm currently on the scheme:

Life as a Pilot

FlyerJoe
21st Feb 2012, 16:00
Has anyone who has been through the aptitude tests for PTC got any tips or info about them?

G1991
22nd Feb 2012, 04:15
The processes listed below are those of my own (winter 2010/2011) and might now have changed.

I traveled to Dublin in the summer of 2008 to a Flyer Exhibition showing off the biggest Flight Training Organisations in Europe and across the world. There I met with a number of different companies including FTE, Oxford, Cabair and Pilot Training College.

As you would expect all took my details and over the following twenty four months as I completed my A levels in England I received numerous emails from all schools regarding their courses. It wasn't until after I had finished with school that I got an email from Pilot Training College (PTC) saying that they would be holding different selection days across the United Kingdom and that there would be a number of Flybe cadet places on offer to be decided at a later date. So I booked my place on a selection day at Manchester Airport for early February.

After signing up for the assessment day you will be given a number of documents to fill in and a number of forms you should bring with you on the day but these would all be included in the email from Waterford. Another important document you will be presented with is pages of basic physics and mechanics which you will need to learn pretty thoroughly for the tests taken on the day.

On the day of the selection I traveled down to Manchester Airport, UK for an 8am start. At this point I will say that my day promptly and I was finished by around 2.30pm but I was indeed the first to leave of those who had made it until the end of the day. It is pretty much non-stop and there was little time for a break.

The first part of the morning was getting to know the fellow persons applying for the course. We were split into two's. The very first exercise was to get to learn our new partners. There were ten different facts we had to learn about each other ranging from parent's professions to favorite sport. Having done this we each then had to stand in front of the group and give a presentation on the other person.

After this, we were given a presentation from PTC about how their different courses are structured, costs and their different locations in Florida and Ireland (and I'm guessing now England).

Next comes the tests. When I took them back in February 2011 there were two. One maths and the other a collection of questions from the information sent through by the company before the assessment day. Each consisted of twenty multiple choice questions which should be answered in thirty minutes each.

The maths questions are mainly what you would expect in a GCSE/secondary school examination except I had five answers to choose from. It was very much addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. As I said earlier it is very important to learn the material sent by PTC for the second test. They covered the following:

Aerofoils and lift
Chord line
Camber
Angle of Attack
Angle of Incidence
Atmospheric effects on lift and drag
Aspect ratio
Wing sweep
Stability
Static stability
Neutral stability
Static instability
Basic Meteorology
Troposphere
METARs
Magnetism
Hydraulics
Gear trains
Basic electrics
Pressure theories

There seems a lot. When I first received the information pack I was a bit taken aback as to how much there actually was to learn but since being here it seems like nothing compared to the amount that is thrown at you during certain stages of the training.

These tests are usually taken by half of the group at once and the other half would have their interview/discussion with a member of the PTC team and then swap. Mine covered basic questions of what you would expect in any interview. Explain to me what you have done for a living, what you like, dislike, basic aviation questions etc. The one question I can remember being asked with regards to aviation is how and aircraft actually flies. Google it. I'd say to do your homework on the basic principles of flight such as how the plane gets into the air, different parts of the aeroplane (ailerons, rudder, elevators, flaps etc. - nothing too challenging). It's always good to have an example about a problem you have encountered and how you have helped resolve it and a mistake you may have made that you made amends or learnt a lesson from. Mostly HRM stuff. In my case, this lasted around 15-20 minutes.

Following this came probably the hardest part of the day. The COMPASS test. I am under the impression this has now been changed but I could be mistaken. Basically it consists of eight (I could be wrong on this...) different tests which measure different abilities including quick mental maths, control, multi-tasking and spacial awareness on a computer using keyboard, mouse, an airbus style control column and rudder pedals. The computer will then, from your interaction, calculate the results and mark each section out of seven.

This is the last part of the day and following this a PTC representative sat down with me and discussed my results. These were all listed on an A4 sheet of paper. It was ran through section by section starting with the multiple choice results followed by the COMPASS results and finally the perception that they got from me through the interview and the rest of the day. Further information was provided going forward and their recommendation for which course I should take. Following the results from that day I was put forward for the Flybe scheme that was at that time running with six spaces available.

The next stage is the decision as to whether accept the offer from PTC or not. During this time I was placed into the Flybe hold pool which I would receive regular updates as to whether I would continue during the continuous cutting of the list. While this was taking place I booked myself on to the May course and duly paid the deposit.

Below covers the post-PTC/Flybe process. Above is up to the point of signing with PTC and the remainder up to the start date is covered separately in a different tab.

Everything started moving very quickly and towards the end of February PTC held two dates where they would offer a mock interview and advice to those who were in with a chance of going for interview for the Flybe cadetship.

The interview was held at the same hotel as the assessment day. It was conducted as would be any airline interview and the feedback would duly be given afterwards. The interview was conducted by an ex-airline pilot, a previous student with PTC who had indeed been given a Flybe position under the same scheme and a PTC employee. The questions covered were quite in depth including airline procedures, general knowledge of aircraft and airline operations (very much more thorough than the assessment interview) and general questions about myself. The feedback was both positive and constructive and was very much worth the effort in attending.

Following this I was offered an interview with Flybe down in Exeter in early March. The company held interviews over three days and were very accommodating to fit around the interviewees. Before attending all of those who had been offered an interview had to produce a one page document supporting their application sent well in advance of the dates given for Exeter.

Travelling down the night before I arrived early enough for the interview at the company's headquarters next to Exeter Airport.

The interview was more focused on myself than their procedures as had been in the previous with PTC. It was conducted by the manager of pilot recruitment as well as a current First Officer within the company.

It first started with one asking questions and the other taking notes and this was reversed half way through. The recruitment manager ran through my CV asking questions about me as a person, what I had done, what I thought of the company and most importantly what I knew about the company. When roles were reversed it was more focused on how the company operated (shortest route, type of aircraft operated etc.) as well as questions about basic aircraft control surfaces.

That was it really. The interview was finished and all seemed to go OK. The following Monday I found out via phone and subsequently email I had been offered a place on their cadet ship programme and I would be contacted by PTC in the near future with further information.

Taken from blog in post above.

Ronaldsway Radar
22nd Feb 2012, 12:03
Very informative G1991 - thank you. And best of luck in your final exams also!

I do have a question about financing this course, so if anybody can assist/point me in the right direction I'd very much appreciate it.

For those not lucky enought to have direct access to the lump sum of ~£65k; do PTC have an arrangement with Barclays (or any other bank) for confirmed candidates to take out a career development loan or some other form of loan plan to finance the whole course?

Or do the candidates need to arrange their own finance, potentially via their very understanding parents(!)?

FlyerJoe
22nd Feb 2012, 17:08
Thanks for the great advice! How did you find the maths exam?

WhiskyTangoFoxtrott
28th Feb 2012, 12:57
@G1991, Very informative - thanks.

While this was taking place I booked myself on to the May course and duly paid the deposit.

Do you have to financially commit before knowing whether you're sponsored or not?

G1991
29th Feb 2012, 00:45
@FlyerJoe - the maths test was fine. Basic stuff really, I wouldn't even go as far as GCSE/equivalent.

@WhiskyTangoFoxtrott - No you don't.

FlyerJoe
29th Feb 2012, 09:54
@1991- Thanks a lot for all the great info it certainly helped. I have since been offered a place on a course with PTC :)

GolfTangoFoxtrot
2nd Mar 2012, 18:11
Dear All,

Has anyone initially put forward for Flybe heard back about an interview? I see on the website applications have been put back by a few weeks. I suppose this means applicants for the Heathrow and Belfast selection days can be put forward for Flybe as well? Annoying - thought I had a reasonably good chance of an interview, now they're going to go through another 80 odd candidates! Guessing they didn't find the Flybe potential candidates on the previous selection days?

Does anyone know approx how many have been recommended to Flybe?

Anybody got any ideas/further info? Nervously waiting for a phonecall :uhoh: !!

GTF

FlyerJoe
5th Mar 2012, 10:09
Out of the twenty or so candidates who applied on my day only 1 got offered an interview with flybe. You need top scores in all assessments to be considered.

FlyerJoe
5th Mar 2012, 10:11
They have a very, very, very small amount of places with flybe:sad:

ct2003
5th Mar 2012, 12:03
Also enquired at PTC for the flybe scheme. Was then provided with an excel form listing several assessment dates, most of them after the relevant flybe deadline :ugh:
After asking PTC again, I was told I have to book (and pay) and assessment first before flybe might decide on me.
I then pointed out to PTC that, due to my age, my hours and my flying training up to now, I would only be interested in the flybe program but not in a general ATP training with PTC. Therefor, I asked the guy to please consider my background and let me know if I might have a realistic chance as flybe will surely apply further criteria (here, somebody mentioned a cut off at 60 hours - I have 150).
PTC then did not reply anymore - seems that they are interested that as many people as possible book and pay their assessment even if they won't have a chance :yuk:

(edit: number of hours)

Jaisalmer
5th Mar 2012, 12:24
It is my understanding that FlyBe are reluctant to take anybody onto their MAPS courses that have over 60 hours prior to starting the course.

Perhaps someone could back this up.

My advice? Wait and apply to the FTE/FlyBe MPL when it reopens, hopefully early next year.

17thhour
8th Mar 2012, 12:18
Has anyone heard anything about an interview yet with FlyBe after getting through the PTC selection?

Ronaldsway Radar
14th Mar 2012, 17:49
I believe interviews will be between 11-13 April in Exeter.

PTC will be referring the candidates who have met all of the requirements so far to FlyBe for consideration at the end of this month.

Candidates selected by FlyBe for interview will then be contacted with a date and time in early April.

Carlabela
18th Mar 2012, 08:53
When did the Applications close? Is there any time for late Applications?

whammy
28th Mar 2012, 23:22
any more news about this folks? would be good to hear from people who have so far been referred to flybe for interviews this year.

GolfTangoFoxtrot
29th Mar 2012, 23:06
Apparently we will hear tues/weds next week.

17thhour
30th Mar 2012, 14:16
Proof of finance and medical had to be in by today. As for when Flybe select people for further interview is not known.

GolfTangoFoxtrot
30th Mar 2012, 14:43
yes sorry, I meant we will find out whether we have been put forward for interview with flybe and was told it is likely we will know this by tuesday/wednesday next week.

17thhour
30th Mar 2012, 18:49
Have you already given in your proof of finances/medical? I have already been told I was being forwarded for interview but that doesn't mean flybe will invite me for one...

GolfTangoFoxtrot
1st Apr 2012, 15:31
Yes I have. Yes, thats the same situation for everyone at the moment.

Sky Scratcher
4th Apr 2012, 14:34
Anyone been invited for interview yet. I've got the call. Would be interested to know the ratio of applicants to places.

Good luck!

GolfTangoFoxtrot
5th Apr 2012, 10:12
I reckon there are about 12-15 called to interview. 3 days, probably 5ish interviews on each day if they are 45-60mins long. Exciting times for us! Good luck to you.

Sky Scratcher
6th Apr 2012, 18:03
Yes seem's to be 15 according to the email recieved this evening. Exciting times indeed, looking forward to it.

Goodluck GTF, hopefully within a couple of month's we'll both be packing for Melbourne!

Ronaldsway Radar
7th Apr 2012, 17:56
Got the call too. Best of luck to you all!

Sky Scratcher
16th Apr 2012, 08:59
Does anyone know when we'll find out who's been selected? This waiting is torture.

GolfTangoFoxtrot
16th Apr 2012, 10:27
All they said was sometime this week. Surely it can't take that long to choose from 15 though, so hopefully today or tomorrow!

G1991
16th Apr 2012, 14:30
We found out on the Monday following the interviews, late afternoon.

Sky Scratcher
17th Apr 2012, 16:28
The waiting game continues, but as they say in aviation 'no news is good news'.

GolfTangoFoxtrot
19th Apr 2012, 13:08
Has anybody heard anything? How can it take so long, there were only 15 of us!

Jaisalmer
19th Apr 2012, 15:14
The wait is a pain guys, but if it's like the setup with their other FTOs, you'll all hear on the same day when they do indeed decide to give the news.

Best of luck!

Sky Scratcher
19th Apr 2012, 20:16
I suspect/expect us to hear something back tomorrow at some point, well hopefully. I wonder why though it has taken them a week to choose between the final 15 applicants (considering the last batch found out within 3 days of the final interview). I can only imagine it was slighly tougher to choose between us.

Sky Scratcher
20th Apr 2012, 12:40
Has anyone heard anything today?

I got the call, part sponsored. Can't wait to start! Would be interested to hear from other's who've been successful.

PilotMufin
20th Apr 2012, 16:26
Hey got the call too, part-sponsored. Can't wait. Well done sky scratcher

Kristoff
23rd Apr 2012, 00:01
I'm quite interested in this, where are you guys from. I might give this a shot next year.

luca321
29th Apr 2012, 16:16
Hi guys/girls!

I really like the idea of this course!
Just wondering if the course's aim is to obtain a MPL licence or an ATPL. Because I've heard that if, for any reason, the you become jobless, not every airline accepts an MPL. Is it true?

Is the course available also to people who already have a PPL, like me? :hmm:

And, by any chance, does somebody know if this course's graduates become F/O on Flybe's E-Jets?

average-punter
29th Apr 2012, 16:28
This particular course gives you a frozen ATPL but flybe do have MPL courses with both Oxford Aviation and FTE in Jerez.

In the future yes, but everyone starts on the Q400. The E175/195 is then bid for internally based on seniority.

BigNumber
29th Apr 2012, 17:16
Congratulations. This is superb news.

To get your licence paid for without having to tap Mum and Dad is quite an achievement. More especially with an absolute 100% guarantee of a job at the end.

Most people seem to get their parents to pay these days, so you folks are the exception.

Well played.:D

luca321
29th Apr 2012, 18:59
I understand... do you happen to know if they accept people with experience too (PPL) or should the applicants have absolutely no experience? I can't find this information anywhere! :(

average-punter
29th Apr 2012, 19:22
No idea I'm afraid. On other schemes I've seen there seems to be a top end of about 60 hrs though.

Jaisalmer
30th Apr 2012, 01:16
I understand... do you happen to know if they accept people with experience too (PPL) or should the applicants have absolutely no experience? I can't find this information anywhere! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Lots of successful applicants have PPL's and previous hours logged. In some cases quite in excess of the 60 hour myth.

luca321
30th Apr 2012, 17:23
Oh good good, very good! :) Thanks for the info!

IRISHHOPEFUL
1st May 2012, 01:03
If Salary is the first worry, and how soon can I fly is the second then you have problems!!

Otto Throttle
1st May 2012, 14:20
There is no 'myth' surrounding 60 hrs max flying experience - it is a specified requirement, but as with all things there is an element of flexibility. It has been applied to all recent courses.

Jaisalmer
1st May 2012, 15:16
There is no 'myth' surrounding 60 hrs max flying experience - it is a specified requirement, but as with all things there is an element of flexibility. It has been applied to all recent courses.

I noticed that too, but a good number of cadets who have started courses in the last year, not just with FlyBe, have in excess of 60 hours.

Otto Throttle
2nd May 2012, 19:34
The 60 hrs is a Flybe requirement. What other airlines may or may not specify, is irrelevant.

pudoc
2nd May 2012, 20:12
The 60 hrs is a Flybe requirement.

Bugger.

*forges logbook*

EGKB
3rd May 2012, 10:24
Can someone upload the course prices, the link doesn't work when I click it!

PilotMufin
4th May 2012, 22:14
Well regardless of how many hours you have, its how many of those hours that are structured and unstructured that counts. What I mean by this is that you may have 90 odd hours of which 75 hours is dual and structured training and the remaining is just PIC. I do not know how they select people based on it exactly, but this is definetly one of the things they consider. But I know people that gone through cadetschemes with excess of 60 hours, so dont be put off by it.