PDA

View Full Version : Approach using lead-in lights

Azgalor
29th Dec 2011, 21:45
I've been looking for some practical application of RLLS and except one approach for RWY 13 L on JFK I found interesting visual approach for Whangarei in New Zealand. They got this chart in AIP:
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4528/whangareichart.gif
and I don't understand few thing.
What is RWY gate? I just don't understand what does it mean to e.g. "...and gate to downwind for RWY 06 gate..."
And some symbols in the charts. I mean the stars with "FLG A" or "FL" and circles with dot... According to Annex 4 it should be lights but I can't describe them.:confused:

hvogt
29th Dec 2011, 23:35
Azgalor,

the "gate" is the point where you have to turn from downwind to base. The word is more commonly used with regard to holdings. Here (http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/91506-remind-me-how-close-gate.html) is some further explanation.

You are right about the star symbols. They stand for aeronautical ground lights. "FLG A" means "flashing amber". I don't understand the meaning of "FR" or "FA" either. Also, the little circles with dots in them would normally stand for basic radio nav aids, which doesn't make sense here.

hvogt
30th Dec 2011, 00:08
"FR" means fixed red and "FA" fixed amber. Still not sure about the circles.

hvogt
30th Dec 2011, 00:17
On an aerodrome obstacle chart the circles would indicate the location of a "pole, tower, spire, antenna, etc." (symbol 163 in Appendix 2 to ICAO Annex 4).

Azgalor
30th Dec 2011, 10:21
Thank you.:ok: So the circles "pole, tower,..." got light too? If it's marked with "FA". Btw. Those beacons are single lights? ICAO says each group should have at least 3.

And one more thing. I mentioned "Canarsie Approach" for 13L on JFK. It uses LDIN too. Don't you know about other big airports with this system which use that? Best if it would be in Europe. I think these days everything is RNAV.

Denti
30th Dec 2011, 10:44
Funchal has curved lead-in lights on runway 05 between GELO and ROSARIO. Technically it is europe as madeira is part of portugal.

BOAC
30th Dec 2011, 11:18
Innsbruck has

Out there
1st Jan 2012, 09:23
Flew this app a few times in my past. The plate you have is what was flown once visual of the NDB app onto the 1097m runway with a 130' drop off at both ends. The FR lights to the NE are on a large cliff face. The procedure was to fly through the Gate (between the two lights) then directly over the FA light (at prescribed heights in company SOP). Company procedure was to go MAP if unable to sight the gate by 3NM. On a dark overcast night with low vis this was a interesting approach. All the lights in the water are on small poles with solar panels (which meant they got dimmer as the night went on). Just the one light on the poles.

FE Hoppy
2nd Jan 2012, 13:26
Gibraltar?

bfisk
2nd Jan 2012, 13:33
ENRA - Mo i Rana (Røssvoll) in Norway also has a special visual segment at the end of the instrument approach - the runway is not visible from the MAPt due to terrain, as it's located in an adjacent side valley. For a "straight in" you have to follow the lead-in lights through about 120 degrees of turn, but for a circling "the wrong way", you do the same but maintain altitude, and then start the circling from overhead the airfield.

https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENRA/EN_AD_2_ENRA_5-1_en.pdf