PDA

View Full Version : 767 Refuelling on RightWing

JanetFlight
28th Dec 2011, 16:24
Hi to all...throughout all these years of healthy 767 operations, one doubt remains on my mind.
Why does the 767 only have refuelling points on its left wing, and no point to do so at right one?
I remember on the very early 80's days here on the southerly and sunny mediterranean destinations, lots of puzzles and brainstorms by the airport authorities and parking/marshalling management, whenever the oldie 762 of Britannia came here.
In some cases it was a really mess, specially on small sunny aprons, where it was parked almost "backwards", with lots of imagination and good-will improvise.
Does anyone knows if along these years, any 767 was already constructed without that restriction, all remains the same, and the main reason for that?
Sorry if was already asked here, but so far, none results on my searches. Tanx;)

MATMAX
28th Dec 2011, 20:19
maybe just wonder yourself:
what about tanks capacities ?
what about ground times ?
whats the point of having two refuelling points ?
just my two cents ...

Mr @ Spotty M
28th Dec 2011, 20:33
An option exists on the B767 to have an additional refuel point on the other wing.
I have no idea if anybody has this operation installed. :ok:

icemanalgeria
29th Dec 2011, 00:33
I think the ground handling of the other services, Catering, LD's etc is why the left wing is used.

I flew a 767 with dual fuelling using left and right wings. Was a real mess when the left wing control panel was faulty, and we used the right wing to fuel. :)

Long Bay Mauler
29th Dec 2011, 01:17
I believe all British Airways B767's have left & right refueling as an option,with the control panel still on the left wing.

I was told that this option was taken because of the many Eastern European airports that BA operates to, where refueling from underground was available on the right only. And that may have been a hangup from the Cold War era,of both sides doing things differently, and to make their equipment incompatible.

SeldomFixit
29th Dec 2011, 04:38
What side does all the baggage handling take place on ? There is your answer - designed for a " quick " turnaround, maximising access whilst allowing the tanker an emergency egress path.

Swedish Steve
29th Dec 2011, 09:30
The British Airways fleet of B767s have a pair of refuel couplings on each wing.
They also have a complete refuel panel on each wing.
The left panel is the master if both doors are open, but with the left wing refuel panel closed, the right refuel control panel works as normal.

I understand this was a mistake during the ordering process. The intention was to order the optional refuel connections on the right wing, but a complete panel was ordered instead. This caused confusion at Boeings, because although the option was in the book, they had not designed it yet!

Qatar Airways also has trouble with refuel connectors. Their A320 fleet only have a single connecttion on the right wing, and nothing on the left.
Also about 5 of their A330-300 have no connections on the left wing. The panel is fitted, and the decal that says how much psi the fuel pressure should be, but open the panel and it is empty inside.
So all refuelling of QR Airbus is done on the right side.

JanetFlight
29th Dec 2011, 19:22
Tanx to all:)

rmm
30th Dec 2011, 06:05
While where on the topic, why did they use the RHS on the 737? It's fairly congested on the RHS during a turnaround especially on a classic. A LHS fuelling panel would have made more sense.

MATMAX
30th Dec 2011, 12:32
Am i the only one to think that "operations" are managed around the aircraft and not the aircraft to be built as things used to be done ...?

Krystal n chips
30th Dec 2011, 15:19
The thread reminds me of a genuine CDL entry c/o a well known,but now defunct, charter outfit..

" Could the engineers move the re-fuel position to the right wing as the one on the left wing slows down boarding pax " .

Bless.....:ugh:

Terry McCassey
31st Dec 2011, 01:37
The point of two refuel points on a B744 is clear. Loading 160 tonnes of fuel, as we do daily, with one would take forever.