PDA

View Full Version : Why no oxygen for pax reccomended in smoke in cabin ?

stubby1
26th Dec 2011, 13:57
I was given some reasons but not fully convinced. Please educate me.:hmm:

IRRenewal
26th Dec 2011, 14:00
What reason were you given that did not fully convince you?

Pax O2 system is typically a chemical O2 generator. Produces both heat and Oxygen, neither of which is a lot of help if there already is a fire.

And additionally, the Pax would still breath cabin air (with added O2 from the O2 generator), unlike the crew O2 system which has an emergency setting giving only O2 from a bottle. If there are toxins in the cabin the Pax would still inhale them.

stubby1
27th Dec 2011, 10:18
one as same reason of polluted air, other as maybe adding oxygen to fire.
But isn't smoke diluted with O2 better than pure smoke.
I was visualising myself as a passenger & thought in smoke filled cabin O2 mask may be some respite.

Cough
27th Dec 2011, 11:20
Chemical oxygen generators generate a lot of heat, which in its self produces a burning smell, which reduces the chance of detecting the real source of the smoke (can't rely on smell anymore),

Secondly, if the source of the smoke is around the same area as the chemical generators, the heat may change the possible 'smouldering' to 'fire' which reduces the chance of a successful outcome.

Oxygen will further enhance the fire.

To use the oxygen masks, passengers will have to keep their heads up (due length of oxygen tube from the generator), rather than on the floor below the smoke. That forces the passengers to breathe the toxic smoke (ok, with oxygen added) and be disorientated by the lack of vision, rather than seeing what is going on at floor level.

At the end of the day, this is not a nice scenario for anyone. 12 min of low flow oxygen isn't going to save you!

lomapaseo
27th Dec 2011, 14:15
At the end of the day, this is not a nice scenario for anyone. 12 min of low flow oxygen isn't going to save you!
To add, it's (O2 passenger mask) purpose is to give you a better chance of surviving a rapid decompression. It has nothing to do with smoke. With smoke your better chances are to keep you head on the floor for all the reasons cited.

grounded27
27th Dec 2011, 16:01
You need to think about it from a more logical standpoint. You do not add fuel to a fire and O2 is just as important to combustion as the material on fire is. The passengers are getting poisoned, the flight crew's only option with an un controlled fire on an aircraft is to land ASAP, the pilot MUST be concious the passengers do not to land the aircraft.

Wizofoz
27th Dec 2011, 16:35
The main reason is that the chemical generators simply enrich environmental air with oxygen. They do not filter out smoke. With a pax mask on, pax would still be breathing smoke, and would be unable to use towels or clothing to filter the air.