PDA

View Full Version : 2011 - Modular? Did you get a job?

CookPassBabtridge
22nd Dec 2011, 09:50
I need cheering up for Christmas, so I would be interested to hear whether the jobs market for modular frozen ATPL graduates is as bad as it looks. I am not implying that it's all rosy for integrated folks, I just don't care about you!

So, if you got your first full-time flying job this year...

1) What is the job?
2) Did you have to fund any additional training up front to get it?
3) How did you apply for the job?
4) Did you have any contacts on the inside who helped your cause?
5) Did you have previous work experience/relevant skills which helped your cause?
6) How many hours total did you have?
7) Where did you train?

As much or as little detail in the answers as you like!

Merry Christmas, here's to a mass retirement of ageing pilots in 2012!

Bealzebub
22nd Dec 2011, 11:45
Well that is not showing a lot of Christmas spirit is it? :ouch:

Here is a reply that really doesn't answer your question, but it does highlight the point.

In Summer 2010 (last year) I followed the progress of a group of 10 individuals who with little (PPL) or no experience at all, embarked on an integrated course of training at a well known UK provider. That same group is now coming to the end of their course and are still waiting to get their licences. Despite that, they are all starting work on Jet aircraft for airlines in the next month. All have less than 250 hours, and all will have their type ratings paid for. To answer your question as it applied in that case:

1) Airline First officer cadet (Jet type)
2) No.
3) The training organisation nominated the placement.
4) The training organisation did.
5) Nothing relevant.
6) 190-250
7) A well known UK integrated training provider.

As for retirements. Don't get too excited. People sometimes have perceptions of linear retirement paths leading to ficticious "bulges". In reality what happens is that natural attrition smooths out these "bulges" long before they could ever actually occur. Death, sickness, licence loss, redundancy, etc. all erode the numbers over time so that the projected "big wave" is usually an unnoticable ripple by the time it actually reaches shore.

Increases in retirement age, actually make this smoothing effect even more prevalent, as attrition tends to be higher in the older age groups. The state of the economy coupled with legislation changes have resulted in longer careers for many of those at the top of the tree, so don't hold your breath waiting.

For those making New year resolutions, it is all about the choices you make.
Decide what you want. Plant the seeds of investment in the most fertile soil. Irrigate with "luck" and work hard, keeping your fingers crossed that natural disasters wont damage the harvest.

Merry Christmas.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
23rd Dec 2011, 14:27
I am sure all newly qualified pilots feel the same mate and even experienced guys can sympathise with you, as most of us guys have been in the same situation, of trying to get your first job.

I work for Bmi, and it was great to see this summer (2011) the company taking some guys out of the hold pool to replace guys who went off the BA. A couple of these guys were guys with little or no experience, but had been working as cabin crew for a couple of years with Bmi.

It was great to see the guys who had been making the right contacts and sitting it out in the cabin only to be given the chance to move into the sharp end. The Airbus type rating and line training was taken care of by the company and the guys are now online and really enjoying the job.

As I am sure you are aware there are many ways into this job, and 9 times out of the 10 it takes a considerable amount of effort. Stay positive and keep plugging away.

CruiseControl_007
23rd Dec 2011, 15:11
Jet2, DHL and a few others don't require payment, instead they will bond you for a certain amount of time to cover your training costs

This is not strictly true. Jet2 only fund the TR for ex military guys and then bond them for about 3 years. The low houred ab-initio guys have to fund their own TR including accommodation.

Best of luck! :ok:

zondaracer
23rd Dec 2011, 17:41
Probably less risk to the employer.

Gazeem
23rd Dec 2011, 22:44
B-bub,

That is fascinating is it the case that the large FTO's have really got it all sown up so sweetly now?

I really want there to be a level playing field between int and mod guys.

Are there any modular guys out there who can answer the OPs question?

CookPassBabtridge
24th Dec 2011, 10:03
Thanks Gazeem, back to topic!

So, an unscientific assumption so far that is based on a sample of 1202 viewers there is no one here who has got themselves a job this year following a modular course!

Alister, thanks for your reply - as much as I'd love to be out there with you in Indonesia (great aircraft/scenery) I just couldn't justify giving everything up here especially as the hours don't count in EASA land.

Back to wrapping the presents...

redsnail
24th Dec 2011, 10:48
What do you mean by the hours don't count in EASA land?

When I converted my Aus ATPL to a JAA one, I had 4500 hours in my log book(s). They didn't disappear.

zondaracer
24th Dec 2011, 11:04
1) Flight instructor at an integrated school (non-UK)
2) FI Rating
3) Walked in in-person
4) No, right place at the right time
5) more or less, previous military experience teaching pilots and aircrew technical stuff, but I am sure the main reason why they hired me is because I'm a native English speaker
6) 300 more or less
7) FAA training followed by JAA conversion in different countries

Sorry, maybe not what you were looking for. I have a friend though who did modular training in Italy and got a Ryanair interview and Susi Air interview. I also know a UK FI who did modular and he got hired at Ryanair this year with around 800hrs.

Merry Christmas!

zondaracer
24th Dec 2011, 11:07
Redsnail, I think he misconstrued SIC Caravan time to mean all time in Indonesia.

CookPassBabtridge
26th Dec 2011, 10:19
Thanks for clarifying Alister, I knew there was some issue with it, but didn't realise that SIC time logged on the Caravan could be counted towards your total time. I'd love to do it, but I wouldn't be able to cover my debts back here with the income.

corsair
26th Dec 2011, 16:26
but I wouldn't be able to cover my debts back here with the income. That's a problem and it remains a problem if you were to get, say a FI job locally. The catch 22 is that a low paid starter job will never cover the debts but the experience will probably ease your progress into a better paid job sooner.

It has to be seen as part of the training process. Having some real world flying is often seen as an advantage in interviews.

It's a dilemma for the newly qualified.

fwjc
26th Dec 2011, 19:37
I know two modular pilots who got full time flying jobs this year. They're probably not on pprune because they're working so hard.

mATT84DC
27th Dec 2011, 16:01
hallo guys, Christmas is already passed, so I wish you a brilliant new year!
as for me, this was my experience, it started in 2010 till now..

1) I am a Let410 FO , I fly for a company under contract with UN and ICRC in Africa.
2) I got a Let410 TR before starting the job hunt.
3) I went to Congo knocking at the doors, looking for my first employement (that was a local charter company where I ve flown for one year, after that, I got a better job with my present employer, always speaking directly with people on the "field")
4) zero ,
5) no, at the time I left Europe ,I did not even speak French (that is more useful that English, in DRC)
6) I had about 400 tt
7) I got my training in 2 normal FTO in Italy and the TR in a TRTO in Czech. Rep.

cheers

KAG
29th Dec 2011, 10:43
Bealzebub:

In Summer 2010 (last year) I followed the progress of a group of 10 individuals who with little (PPL) or no experience at all, embarked on an integrated course of training at a well known UK provider. That same group is now coming to the end of their course and are still waiting to get their licences. Despite that, they are all starting work on Jet aircraft for airlines in the next month. All have less than 250 hours, and all will have their type ratings paid for.

1) Airline First officer cadet (Jet type)
2) No.
3) The training organisation nominated the placement.
4) The training organisation did.
5) Nothing relevant.
6) 190-250
7) A well known UK integrated training provider.

Are you speaking about KD (cadet)?
I beleive every one knows what is a cadet scheme, you are hired before training, best situation. That's not like you have to find a job after training. I know many people who went through cadet scheme, I fly in Asia, but it didn't come to my mind to answer this post using their reality, it would make people looking for a job to get a bit angry for giving them fasle hope and explaining a condition that doesn't concern them ...
In addition the question is MODULAR.
Completely off topic if you ask me.

Here is the subject: 2011, modular, did you get a job?
Absolutely nothing to do with cadet.

Bealzebub
29th Dec 2011, 13:04
Kag,

If you read the second line to the reply you will see that I said:

Here is a reply that really doesn't answer your question, but it does highlight the point.

That point being, that it really is important to understand how to achieve the result that you want by the method you employ. I am no more concerned how "angry" it makes you feel, than the original poster "could care" less.

Clearly the jobs market is every bit as weak as you might expect it to be, and indeed it has been reported as being so for many years now. Aerial work type employment is out there (instructing, bush flying, etc.) but the competition is very intense as the lack of responses unscientifically bears out.

At airline recruitment level, the only real low hour openings are at cadet level, and by no means is that only restricted by pre-selection, however it is largely restricted to specific training programmes and methodology. It is a point that a lot of people clearly choose to ignore, nevertheless it is a counterpoint that deserves to made even if it is not invited to the party.

In summary, I did make it clear that the answer was a counterpoint to the question, and I didn't expect it to be a popular answer for that reason. The section concerning retirement attrition was also in direct response to the posters final comment. In point or counterpoint, the information is factual and might be useful to somebody reading the thread subject. If you don't like it, feel it is irrelevant, or wish it were something else, then simply ignore it. The trouble is of course, that it niggles for a reason.

KAG
30th Dec 2011, 02:51
Alright I see.

HLloyd26
2nd Jan 2012, 02:57
Hardly an inspiring read for those embarking on Modular training.

The trouble is of course, that it niggles for a reason.

It certainly does niggle, more so now than ever as far as I'm concerned.

As much as I hate to admit it I'm starting to come round to what Bealzebub preaches.

I've always been in favour of the modular route and have spent several years saving and planning my route. However now I've finally saved enough I can't help feeling that if I'm going to gamble CTC/Oxford may be a better place to put my hard earned cash.

CookPassBabtridge
2nd Jan 2012, 19:36
It is a rather disheartening read, but there is hope! I wouldn't give up on the modular route, if you've got the cash for integrated then do modular and put your leftover £40K into a rating or a post-qualified programme like CTC whateveritscalled rather than giving Oxford £80K for £40K worth of training!

I went modular in 2011 and I have found some part-time aerial work here in the UK, but that was only because of contacts. I have a strong suspicion that without those contacts I'd still be moping about and crying into my shiny new blue book.

Let 2012 be the year for modular trained folks getting jobs!

Bealzebub
3rd Jan 2012, 02:36
if you've got the cash for integrated then do modular and put your leftover £40K into a rating or a post-qualified programme like CTC whateveritscalled rather than giving Oxford £80K for £40K worth of training!

No, not really the best idea. If you have the resources and the aptitude, then apply for a full time course of study with an organisation that provides trained and continuous (or as continuous as it can be) output to the airlines that you have targetted as your aspirational goal. Post qualification is never going to be as good as full qualification in the example you have given above.
As I repeatedly say on these forums ask yourself what you want, and then research how you can best achieve it.

If your goal is flight instruction or aerial work then yes absolutely utilize the methodology that will help you along that path. If money is an absolute barrier then again here is an alternative. However if you are after a shot at the big leagues with very little experience, then the odds are very poor indeed. If indeed that is your real goal then the argument is only enhanced by quoting the difficulties you yourself have highlighted when you say:
I went modular in 2011 and I have found some part-time aerial work here in the UK, but that was only because of contacts. I have a strong suspicion that without those contacts I'd still be moping about and crying into my shiny new blue book.

Where I would agree, is when you say:
Let 2012 be the year for modular trained folks getting jobs!
That would be a very good thing to see, however even if that were to materialize, the truth is that save for a very few people, those same jobs would still be at the traditional aerial work level, with this level of experience.

Go Smoke
3rd Jan 2012, 10:09

1) What is the job?
2) Did you have to fund any additional training up front to get it?
3) How did you apply for the job?
4) Did you have any contacts on the inside who helped your cause?
5) Did you have previous work experience/relevant skills which helped your cause?
6) How many hours total did you have?
7) Where did you train?

As much or as little detail in the answers as you like!

1) Operating a PC12NG throughout Europe
2) Self funded FAA CPL, ME, IR to go with the JAA CPL, ME, IR (I considered this an investment in myself.......considering the direction in which I wish my flying to go)
3) It was a chance offer of employment........person to person......right place, right time.
4) No, it was pure chance
5) 3 years as a flight instructor teaching PPL, Multi and other bits and bobs......examiner on single and multi........captain on a single pilot AOC operating old piston twins.
6) 2,150 (400 twin)
7) Well known modular training establishment.

CookPassBabtridge
3rd Jan 2012, 10:52

Thanks for the answer, the job sounds nice, but a bit off the point of the topic :)

mad_jock
3rd Jan 2012, 11:35
I disagree with Bealzebub.

There are modular folk out there getting jobs with small carriers. Many of which won't touch intergrated product. 9 in the last 9 months in a 6 ship airline in my experence. And I am just about to start in a new job and we have just got one 700 hour mod pilot doing his bumps before ferrying the aircraft off to start. And we won't be touching intergrated pilots.

The whole economy in the EU is going to take a nose dive again the companys that do like intergrated are not very well placed ride it out and there will be alot of redundancys and very well experenced pilots out of work.

The problem that the companys have that do like the product is that they can't use pilots in the forseeable future. BUt for the intergrated schools to continue they need 100-200 students through the doors every year otherwise they are stuffed. If they don't get them, the product is not viable. Even if BA put the whole lot that they have planned through one school it wouldn't be enough.

So in essance even though they arn't taking any, they need the folk to carry on paying the money to keep the reasource available for them to use. The fact that over 50% of the students won't end up with a job ever isn't their problem.

Virtually every airline has had a school rep through the door offering "deals" to have a partnership in placing intergrated pilots in the last year. I know of at least 3 which in the grand scope of things are dregs of the industry and something that the student is not trained to deal with. And I really would pity anyone getting dumped from a supervised fully supported ops enviroment. Into a enviroment full of "in opp ADD#" stickers and an ops department that only relpys with "when you going" or "I don't know" when ever you ask them a question if they ever answer the phone.

Alot of the pro intergrated pilots on here have been sat very happy with a legacy carrier for years and years. There exposure to the dirty coal face side of the industry which I might add is the only side of the industry likely to take pilots on in the next few years is minimal.

But if you have the money and don't need to put yourself in debt to do it crack on subsidising the legacy carriers that want the intergrated product. Your saving them a fortune and allowing them access to a resource which is highly expensive which they don't want to pay for.

There really isn't many jobs out there just now and most of them are gained through world of mouth, current pilots putting CV's on the right desk and networking. Modular have a huge advantage because they have been knocking around airfields with current pilots through out thier training.

Bealzebub
3rd Jan 2012, 18:54
Firstly MJ, nobody takes "intergrated" pilots, because as I have pointed out to you before, there is no such thing. The word you want is integrated and even then, you place it in a context that really isn't relevant to the point.

Secondly, you are still part of what I would term the stepping stone process, so your perspective and experience is perhaps incomplete with regards to the advice you offer.

Let's start off with this Modular / integrated distinction. They are two methods of obtaining professional licence training. I do not doubt that there are good and bad providers of both types of training. There are many providers who cater to both types of methodology. There are also strong, average and weak aspirants in both methodologies.

Airline cadet programmes, do not usually restrict their input to simply integrated trained pilots, they go much further than that. They restrict their input to only a handful of schools with whom they have affilated their programme with that schools own training programme. In the UK, if you look at large companies across the broad marketplace such as easyjet, Thomas Cook, Monarch, British airways and Flybe to name but a handful, they all affiliate their cadet programmes to pretty much the same three principal training providers. In many cases, just one of those principal three.

Each of the "big three" provides initial and intermediate training using an integrated programme of training. There is no getting away from the fact. They all do! So if somebodies goal is a fast track airline career on one of these cadet schemes, there isn't really much point in discussing "modular" because it simply isn't a way in. You can rant and rave and bang your head against the wall to your hearts content, but it is the reason that I keep trying to make this point clear.

People who embark on a modular, or indeed many forms of integrated flight training, are likely to follow the "stepping stone" career path to their eventual goal. That isn't to say that anything other than a minority will be successful in doing so, but it is a tried and trusted route. In the old days we would have referred to this path as the "self improver" route. This route usally involved a mix of aerial work type jobs such as instructing, aerial photography, air taxi, commuter, third and second tier airline operators, before amassing the sort of experience that first tier airlines demanded of direct entry first officer recruits.

So when you say there are modular folks getting jobs with small carriers that is exactly what I would expect. That these types of job have a higher requirement than 250 hours doesn't surprise me in the least either, because that has always been the case. This "coalface" of which you speak, isn't quite the surprise you would imagine it to be. Many of us worked our own careers up through exactly the same sort of stepping stone jobs.

If you turn the clock back thirty years in the UK, there were two primary civilian methods of embarking of an aviation career. There was the "approved school" integrated flight training method. This involved a handful of training establishments who were approved to conduct full time courses of training leading to an abridged number of hours for the issue of a CPL/IR (with ATPL written exams completed.) These few schools (Hamble, CSE Oxford, AST Perth) did pretty much what the "big three" do today, in that they provided the fast track cadet input in the small number of airlines that offered the rare, much sought after, and highly selective programmes that were on offer.
Then there was the "self improver" route, where you worked your way up to achieving the minimum 700 hours needed for licence issue. Then you started looking for the sort of commercial "jobs" that might actually be available to you. If you think the "coalface" is dirty now, I can promise you it was no cleaner in those days!

In many fundamental respects, things haven't changed a great deal. Those first tier airlines with actual cadet programmes, are still sourcing though the latest incarnations of the approved schools. Failing that, it is case of working your way up through a system that has a very high attrition rate and very strong qualification levels. Most of the "A-listers" still demand 2000 hours of relevant experience and an absolute minimum of 500 hours turbine time to even get the chance of a "maybe" for the interview pile. Finding "jobs" further down the food chain is (judging from your own comments) every bit as difficult as it has historically been, and perhaps more so.

Where things have changed over the last three decades has been in the following areas:

Licensing. With the introduction of JAR, the UK changed the requirements of licence issue to bring it more into line with the rest of the world. The old 700 hour CPL (perceived airline qualification) was dropped to a 250 hour basic "aerial work" licence. This deluded many people into believing it was the new basic airline pilots licence. In fact this is where much of the current integrated / modular confusion debate and nonsense is born. That wasn't helped by one or two outspoken airline CEO's using the change to promote their belief that Co-Pilots were an unnecessary superflous expense that should be eliminated. Unable to fulfil their desire, they put the old "job" out to tender and were delighted when they found thousands of would be hopefulls tripping over each other for the chance to pay for this experience.

Training. You now still have the "approved" fast track airline cadet programmes. As they have always been, they are still fully integrated training programmes conducted at a handful of recognised and affiliated schools.
You still have "self improvers" looking for the stepping stones to reach their goals. No longer do they need 700 hours for a CPL, they only need 250 or so. The problem is that the licence is no longer regarded as the same type of qualification simply because the experience requirements were slashed. The licence became what it had always been in most other countries. This was a reality that many people simply refuse to grasp even today. Integrated training became far more deregulated, with seemingly every other flying school offering their own integrated course. Some of these were no doubt very good, but again it provided a landscape ripe for confusion.

Many people convinced themselves, or allowed themselves to be convinced, that these courses were exactly the same, and led to the same result as the old "approved training schools" more often than not they didn't, although the rougue CEO's to whom I referred to in a previous paragraph, did nothing to discourage this belief, particularly if there was a shilling to be made.

Employment. At the first tier level, this has evolved in line with the new realities but fundamentaly hasn't changed a great deal, save as to the following. The direct entry requirements are still broadly based on a solid previous level of flying experience, to include a properly acquired and managed type rating, and or at least 500 hours of meaningful turbine time. Military pilots once much sought after, are now finding themselves squeezed out by the expansion in more cost effective cadet programmes, coupled with the rise in available civilian experience.

The expansion of cadet programmes, has become a larger part of many airlines ab-initio requirement. This has proved cost effective, successful and when coupled with regulatory changes to retirement dates, and economic stagnation, has put a very significant squeeze on the traditional routes for airline recruitment. The economic stagnation has served to mask from view the investment in cadet training that is being planned for the future. In other words, as and when the market improves generally, the infrastructure is already either in place, or soon to be ready, for a large expansion in this source of ab-initio recruitment.

MJ, you said: Alot of the pro intergrated pilots on here have been sat very happy with a legacy carrier for years and years. There exposure to the dirty coal face side of the industry which I might add is the only side of the industry likely to take pilots on in the next few years is minimal.

I think I have answered this point generally, but I would take serious issue with the section I have highlighted. In every economic cycle I have seen in the last three decades, if the big boys are hurting you can bet your cotton socks it is hurting even more where the crumbs usually fall. The first tier companies are slashing their costs and looking for the most cost effective resources. In simple economies of scale and access to the best levels of credit that is where you will find the muscle. The suggestion that your segment of the market is where recruitment is likely to buck the trend hasn't been born out historically, and nothing indicates that will change anytime soon.

In summary, what I am saying is what I have been witness to and a part of over the last 30 odd years. I am not selling anybody anything. I do think that much of what I say should be obvious to anybody who cares to research for themselves. The information is offered to help. If it doesn't, or is unpopular, or invites disagreement, protest or counterpoint, that is all fine. It is there for anybody to take on board, consider, disregard, object to, or simply ignore. I don't mind. It is however an observation of what I have experienced, witnessed and am still very much an integral part of.

There really isn't many jobs out there just now and most of them are gained through world of mouth, current pilots putting CV's on the right desk and networking. Modular have a huge advantage because they have been knocking around airfields with current pilots through out thier training.

No, there aren't many jobs out there, and demand for them now comes from a super-saturated market of would be aspirants. Networking is always a good thing and always has been. In many ways it is part of the research process. The last sentence I classify as flying club bravado. For the many who want to work for an airline with 200 hours in their logbooks, it is for all the reasons I have already stated a virtual non-starter. At this level nearly all cadet recruitment is as defined though the programmes already stated. For the "pay your money and take a punt" schemes, it would seem that the structured full time integrated courses provide a very definite and obvious advantage. (Have a look where most Oxford students have found this type of employement.) The whole premise of this thread indeed belies any suggestion of a "huge advantage."

mad_jock
3rd Jan 2012, 19:26
So you wouldn't take issue with the fact that the majority of intergrated students going through the big three are there only to support the infrastructure for the legacy carriers to put students through when they feel like it and the economic situation allows?

If airlines payed for the training I couldn't care less how its done. But its not. They are relying on 4-500 students per year to subsidise there method of training. TCX is knackard, BA was very nearly knackard over the strikes and may yet have problems with pax tax european downturn and the old pension pot, Monach again an old boys club with the big three but not recruiting.

Flybe yep they do but its all down to tax which its impossible to do with modular students. They did take modular for years.

I know the industry needs students to continue to go this route otherwise they will have serious problems when they require expansion or more pilots quickly.

But getting 300-400 people a year to sacrifice 70-80k just to subsidise 4 or 5 carriers prefered training method is immoral.

Bealzebub
3rd Jan 2012, 20:21
So you wouldn't take issue with the fact that the majority of intergrated students going through the big three are there only to support the infrastructure for the legacy carriers to put students through when they feel like it and the economic situation allows? I have read this a few times (and notwithstanding the word is still integrated, I am not sure I understand what you mean? If you mean that the "legacy carriers" will only take students (cadets) as and when the economic situation allows them to? Then yes, of course. That is what most companies would do. Nobody is recruiting pilots at any level, that they either do not require, or are "economically" prevented from doing so. That would seem obvious, so if it is not what you mean, perhaps you could clarify the question?

If airlines payed for the training I couldn't care less how its done. But its not. They are relying on 4-500 students per year to subsidise there method of training. TCX is knackard, BA was very nearly knackard over the strikes and may yet have problems with pax tax european downturn and the old pension pot, Monach again an old boys club with the big three but not recruiting.

Again it really isn't clear what you mean. Airlines do not generally pay for anybodies ab-initio training anymore. In reality few ever did. BEA/BOAC had an excellent if highly selective scheme many years ago. On top of that a few other airlines of much the same vintage offered some ab-initio sponsorships. However those ships largely sailed decades ago. In the second decade of the new millenium, the closest equivalent is likely to be found in the few schemes whereby the training course becomes a "bond" that may be repaid to the few succesful candidates over a subsequent number of years. In the examples given, at least three of the airlines concerned have offered such a programme. In any event, the cost of training is generally a risk borne by the student these days. That is true whichever method of training you select.

Whatever your view of these first tier companies and the problems that they face, they are all still fighting to survive in a fiercely competitive marketplace. TCX has contracted as part of this reality. Whatever problems BA faces, it has recently recruited pilots and ressurected a cadet programme of just the sort I have alluded to in this paragraph. If Monarch isn't recruiting, it will be news to the dozens of pilots (cadets and experienced) who have been offered jobs in the last few weeks. I think you may be allowing your prejudices to get in the way of the realities of what is actually happening. It is certainly true that the future is very uncertain, and times are hard, but there is recruitment taking place, and their are opportunities to be found if you know what you are looking for, have the ability resource and luck, and do your homework.
But getting 300-400 people a year to sacrifice 70-80k just to subsidise 4 or 5 carriers prefered training method is immoral. Is it? Why? Is the premise of the statement true? Even if it were, so what?

Most of these airlines would say that it isn't simply a one way street. They might pay for a type rating saving the trainee up to £30,000 in costs. They might argue that a placement with a first tier carrier saves the trainee years and years of insecure, low waged, experience, much of which probably doesn't fit into the experience model they actually want in any event. They might argue that the student investment of £90,000 has been countered by an up to £30,000 type rating (free or partially subsidized) and the possibility of around £70,000 of the students training costs being paid back to them over 7 years. Thereby the succesful student has an outlay of around £90,000 with a repayment of £70,000 (albeit less in real terms due to inflation and interest,) and a type rating worth up to £30,000, and a job with a first tier company.

I would be the first to state that success at this level is the thin end of a very big wedge, but if this is the aspiration, that is the wedge you are looking at.

Then it just a very big bad world. It is extremely difficult and the decisions you make early on will often dictate the possibilities that are open to you. I am not interested in the morality of the argument, because it is a debate for a different time. It has no bearing on the history, the reality of the here and now, or likely on the future either. All I am doing is stating the way it is.

Go Smoke
3rd Jan 2012, 20:35
Thanks for the answer, the job sounds nice, but a bit off the point of the topic

Sorry, my bad. I assumed instructing didn't count as 'first paid job'.
Few seem to value it and it certainly doesn't pay well at all.

Good luck in 2012.

CookPassBabtridge
3rd Jan 2012, 21:20
Au contraire GS, instructing is a very real job even if it is grossly underpaid and undervalued by some, I'm sure your PC12 boss didn't sniff at your experience!

Regarding the above thread drift, all very well and good but I didn't even mention airlines specifically in the OP...can we get back to the point?

OK, so who out there did modular last year and hasn't found work?! :ugh:

dood
3rd Jan 2012, 22:08
Finished training mid 2011 all modular alongside a BSc. Had an interview on the A320 and was offered a job based on me paying for my TR. Don't have money for TR but working on it slowly.

Have turned down many many job offers from other industries and graduate programs to focus on aviation and it's been fruitless.

All I can say is. Aviation in Europe is full of back-stabbing money grabbers hiding behind a facade of smiles and professionalism. And most pilot's already in the industry have no clue of how bad it is at the bottom and how their own company is screwing the new guys to support the 2% pay rises and holiday pay that the big unions are fighting for. The money has to come from somewhere but as long as you get more money it doesn't matter to you.

I do have a job offer, but having a recent university and CPL graduate come up with €25000 is a joke even if they say 'but you'll make it back in a year'. I'm apparently expected to eat grass and live in an underpass till then right?

Experience - Aviation Operations, Safety, Fleet Planning. Have a JAA and FAA licence with first time passes across the board and early 90's first passes in ATPL exams.

Had contacts help with the 320 gig & TT around 300.

All I can say is I will never work in Aviation in Europe (especially UK) other than Germany. At least in Asia I will be able to afford a house and food even if the pay is poorer.

Happy new year

WeMadeYou
3rd Jan 2012, 23:08
Finished my training summer 2011. Im now hired by an big Irish low cost carrier.
I have attended 4 different FTO:s and the recruiters didn't mind at all.
Just the integrated flight schools trying to spread rumours it's easier to get a job with a integrated course. Of course because they make more money.

captain.weird
4th Jan 2012, 09:10
Good job WMY!

Aviator74
4th Jan 2012, 11:09
I feel i should point out recruitment is a subtle thing, I am with my second employer, and both were actively NOT recruiting when i got my jobs, i just kept sending CV's and listening to rumours and word of mouth.

first job was abroad on 319's only got paid around £9000pa and had to repay all my loans AFTER tax needless to say i ended up worse of financially after that one, but i just kept applying and guess what now that i had a few hundred hours and was current I suddenly appealed to other carriers who needed people short notice. Second job came about because a friend mentioned they were short of crew and needed them to start in 6 week, i called, sent cv, interviewed, and was offered the job within a week, when the first airline complained and tried to claim on a dubious "bond" and said i was burning bridges with them i said, you havent paid me and i am getting a 300% pay rise ... what would you do. they grumbled and never came after me about the bond.

Stick with it... alot of airlines are recruiting now, Emirates 500 odd per year, BA, Virgin, this guys suck up from the low costs and apparently ryan air have lost 400 in the last 12 months, there is ur first job!

redsnail
4th Jan 2012, 15:42
Thread drift for which I apologise.

I guess what Bealzebub and Madjock are trying to say in their own way is that every one's situation is different.

If you have a burning desire to only ever fly a medium (or more) sized jet for an airline and you can get yourself onto a tagged scheme and you can afford the exorbitant fee charged and you know the game can change in heart beat, then great, go for a full time course.

If however, you want to enjoy the aviation journey, can pace the training, have other life skills handy and don't mind a challenge, then go part time/"modular".

From what I can see the person with the greatest burden is the one who has joined a full time course but is not aligned with any airline schemes.

The bottom line is, not every one will get a decent well paying job. Sad but true.

I personally do not want to fly for an airline. The view from the front of a HS125 is pretty much identical to the view from an Airbus. :ok: Similar pay but a lot more fun. :E