PDA

View Full Version : SPIC and Modular

pudoc
21st Dec 2011, 17:40
Hi,

So I'm a PPL holding which I got in the UK and whilst I distance learn ATPLs in the Canary Islands I wanted to do about 1 or 2 hours a month as part of hour building but mainly because I want to fly around here for the experience.

Now the only way I can do this without joining the local flying club (€800 membership fee!) is to fly as student pilot in command with an instructor, regardless of the fact I'm not a student.

Reading LASORS and another thread on this forum which was rather confusing I only found information about SPIC for integrated students. The definition of SPIC contradicts of what the flying club are telling me and there's no mention of SPIC and modular.

So does this mean as a modular student I cannot log hours as P1 under SPIC, or if I do they can't count towards my CPL? This is what the LASORS document was hinting at but I was wondering if anybody knew more about it and I cannot see a reason why integrated students have this privilege. Modular or integrated, P1 is P1 in my eyes. You're still in charge.

I tried to contact the Spanish authorities but it's near impossible.

Thanks.

Gomrath
21st Dec 2011, 17:46
Now the only way I can do this without joining the local flying club (€800 membership fee!) is to fly as student pilot in command with an instructor, regardless of the fact I'm not a student.
Not being a student probably does not matter.
The presence of the Instructor typically trumps your acting as PIC. If the club flying rules state that you not being a member requires the presence of the Instructor and for him therefore to be PIC - then you are stuck.
It is probably the requirement that you become a member before you can fly as PIC yourself in one of their aircraft. Many clubs require membership in order to avail oneself of their services.

That €800 membership fee probably also covers you for hull damage etc which as PIC - you would be responsible for.
Reading LASORS or contacting the Spanish authorities is irrelevant. If the club set rules then you abide by them or go elsewhere. It's their ball.

pudoc
21st Dec 2011, 18:50
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I wasn't clear, what I can't understand is why the hours I obtain as SPIC cannot go towards my hours for my CPL as a modular student which is what LASORS was hinting at. It seems to say integrated only and I want to find out the reason behind this.

Gomrath
21st Dec 2011, 19:10
what I can't understand is why the hours I obtain as SPIC
You are not SPIC. You might think you are but you are not.

It is the rule pertaining only to Integrated Courses.
You are not on an Integrated course and are simply hour building in your own time. As you are not a member of your club they won't let you fly solo and so have to have the Instructor with you and you are dual.
Pay your €800 membership and go fly solo and problem solved.

Student pilot-in-command (SPIC)
Flight time during which the flight instructor will only observe the student acting as pilot-in-command and shall not influence or control the flight of the aircraft. SPIC hours can only be accredited for graduates of Integrated Courses for ATPL (A)/(H), CPL (A)/IR and CPL (H)
Note - It is a condition of a SPIC flight that the instructor must not have had to influence or control any part of the flight. Therefore the instructor is not giving instruction on any flight that is declared as SPIC. For this reason SPIC time cannot be credited against any requirement for dual instruction.

pudoc
21st Dec 2011, 19:36
Oh I see. Slightly confusing that they use the same phrases for different things!

Thanks.

RTN11
21st Dec 2011, 19:45
The school or club may be dressing it up as SPIC, where you could claim PIC time, so you are more likely to pay for the hours.

The reality is, outside an integrated course the instructor would be PIC, or you are PIC with a passenger who happens to be an instructor. If the school are requiring the instructor to be part of the crew for insurance, he is PIC, you are Pu/t, and can only log dual time.

I would take the €800 hit. What is the hourly rate like?