PDA

View Full Version : Sherburn Aero Club - getting switched on?

LeeP-PA28
21st Dec 2011, 14:49
Just a note about Sherburn Aero Club for those who frequent / are a member / planned to go but hadn't yet :)#

A note was released yesterday by the chairman that starting in early January the airfield will be open 7 days a week (through the winter months, it'll be unlicensed on a Monday but there will still be the club, cafe, avgas on sale etc).

Fuel price has been reduced to £1.78/l and hire rates have been reduced too:

£12.00 off the AT3 to just £88.50 per hour.
£6.00 off the PA28-161 Warriors to £120.50 per hour.
£5.00 off the Cadets to £117.50 per hour.
£5.00 off the Archer to £139.50 per hour.

There is no VAT to pay on any of the above prices either.

There is also talk of a community being started once every 2 weeks to promote flying as a group, sharing experiences, assistance from instructors, talks on flight planning, reading the weather better, GAR/immigration requirements etc - I have to say it's refreshing to see something moving in the right direction for a change :)

So if you're not a member or never popped in, now is certainly the time to visit.

NB - I'm not on the board or committee, I'm just a local pilot thrilled at some slightly cheaper flying and fuel :ok:

mrmum
22nd Dec 2011, 00:21
How can there be no VAT to pay on the quoted prices? The products/services they provide are eligible for VAT and I'm sure Sherburn's turnover is above the VAT threshold, currently £73k.

ak7274
22nd Dec 2011, 04:59
Do ya think VAT may be included?

loaded as a dice
22nd Dec 2011, 05:32
Its a pretty safe bet to say it's included, and i think an excellent idea, with the economic climate as it is, the more done to help us fly, the better!! :D

The Old Fat One
22nd Dec 2011, 07:23
There is no VAT to pay on any of the above prices either.

If you are going to put your price list up on a forum, at least make it legal.

What you meant to say was "Inclusive of VAT"

pasir
22nd Dec 2011, 07:55
The VAT reference was probably made in all innocence - but you are of course quite right. Probably not helped when a certain Car company has been advertising for weeks that 'you pay no vat' or words along those lines.

AndoniP
22nd Dec 2011, 08:15
Every post on here seems to get the bar-room lawyers, pedants, and assorted other experts all excited at an opportunity to display their ultra superior knowledge and intellect.

welcome to pprune mate :suspect:

LeeP-PA28
22nd Dec 2011, 09:22
I believe that Sherburn Aero Club is none profit organisation (a members club), I may have got it wrong but VAT is inclusive apparently on aircraft rental (rang up to confirm).

Apologies!! Either way - still glad to see the prices coming down :ok:

rich_g85
22nd Dec 2011, 09:24
The car adverts put something like this in the small print: 'VAT is still payable, however the price has been discounted by the equivalent percentage of 20%'. This may well be the case at Sherburn. Rich

kevkdg
23rd Dec 2011, 09:50
Just called them, visitor price for AVGAS is £1.89 per litre (inc VAT). Landing fee £10 which is waived if you take a min of 40 litres fuel.

I guess the £1.78 per litre is for members only.

sapperkenno
23rd Dec 2011, 10:26
So if you're not a member or never popped in, now is certainly the time to visit.

Which I did this summer to see about renewing my membership... Apparently, as I'd last been a member in 2006/2007, I'd need to pay a "new member joining fee" or some nonsense on top of my annual membership. I found that a bit insulting as I started having trial flights there aged 12, and am now 27. 15 years of business there, and my father was once also a member. I always came back to Sherburn while I was away in the military, and based all over, and would like it to be my "home" club nowadays, being a Leeds lad.

I've always spoken highly of the club, worn my club polo shirt with pride when flying in the US, and recommended the club to others.

The other thing I will nag about while I'm at it, is that Sherburn will not entertain my FAA certificate (I have a commercial licence, multi-engine, instrument and instructor ratings) at all, which must just be a club rule, as I have Day-VFR PPL priviledges everywhere else in the UK. My JAA PPL and SEP Rating have expired, so rather than pay for another skills test and CAA issue fees, I just fly on my FAA stuff, as I have a standalone licence (ie, not based-on my JAA PPL).

Luckily, I've found Full Sutton (Cherokee 140 @ £90/h wet, which is ok for keeping my hand in, and membership is £95/year) who are a little more open-minded and seem like a decent outfit. I don't think any of their members have landed in the river Derwent, or written off any CAP-10s or Archers either. :E

Good to see the club doing well though, as I'm still a sherburnite at heart!

homeguard
23rd Dec 2011, 11:24
sapperkenno

It is not unusual for FAA licenced pilots to fly at Sherburn. There is no rule against it.

Speak to the CFI at Sherburn who I'm sure will confirm that. It couldn't have been him who told you what you say.

I understand that it is a long standing Board decision that lapsed members must pay the rejoin fee. Worth writing to the current chairman on that one. In these difficult times you may receive a sympathetic ear.

tmmorris
23rd Dec 2011, 13:04
Bad maths:

'VAT is still payable, however the price has been discounted by the equivalent percentage of 20%'

Actually it's been discounted by (1-(1/1.2))*100 percent, or about 17%...

Tim

mrmum
23rd Dec 2011, 14:28
Careful Tim, that's just asking for trouble. :E
Every post on here seems to get the bar-room lawyers, pedants, and assorted other experts all excited at an opportunity to display their ultra superior knowledge and intellect.

loaded as a dice
23rd Dec 2011, 15:19
i wonder if any other clubs/schools have deceided to reduce hire or other costs?

pasir
25th Dec 2011, 10:20
... All this squabble about VAT brings back memories of a small a/c hire company at a well known Sth London drome where it seems the owners
were probably pocketing some - or maybe all of the vat - Unfortunately they didnt cover their tracks too good and as a result from Inland Rev. they were put into liquidation - Not sure if they also spent some porridge time on top !