PDA

View Full Version : Remuneration clarification

amadman114
20th Dec 2011, 10:17
Hi, my first post here.

I know that as a PPL holder you cannot ask for money to make a profit, IE only remunerated.

However, is it still possible to advertise your services eg private transport/amateur aerial photography but not ask for a profit?

I'm asking this because this would be a fair way to reduce the overall cost of flying.

mad_jock
20th Dec 2011, 10:21
Nope, you cannot fly for free as a ppl you can cost share though.

Any advertising of services will bring the rath from hell down on you from the local AoC operators who have spent a fortune getting all the ticks in the boxes for an AoC.

Johnm
20th Dec 2011, 10:31
As a PPL you may not seek any remuneration for flying except for advertising opportunities for shared cost flights in the context of a bona fide flying club.
Here if, for example, three of you go flying you must pay at least a third of the overall cost.

If you take someone you know flying and they offer to share the costs that's OK too as long you pay your full share and you don't make it a condition of the trip that the passenger(s) contribute.

amadman114
20th Dec 2011, 10:49
Ah ok thanks, I misinterpreted the idea :ugh:

Whopity
20th Dec 2011, 12:08
Additionally, if you flew a photographer, he hires the aircraft for the purpose of aerial work. Even if you receive nothing, money has changed hands for the purpose of the flight making it illegal.

You might find the following document worth reading http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1428/SummaryOfCATPTAWANO2009May2010.pdf

RTN11
20th Dec 2011, 19:28
The only thing acceptable within the rules would be to put a poster on the notice board of your flying club saying you have spare seats for a pro rata share of the overall costs as a flying buddy, or simply word of mouth. Does your club have facebook? That is also a great way to meet other like minded pilots.

Any advert for a specific flight on a specific date could easily be construed as public transport, which would require an AOC. If this was then looked into, or as previously indicated the local company with a legal AOC reported you, there would be pretty serious consequences. Certainly aerial photography is something to avoid. A lot of guys like to take pictures of nice houses, then go to the house and try to sell it to the owners. If it ever came into question who was flying when these profitable photos were taking, you could be opening a whole can of worms.

There is a "spare seats available" thread somewhere, I found a couple of flying buddies that way and saved some money when I needed to build time. If you're looking to do some trips I'm sure you'll find someone to split the cost.