PDA

View Full Version : The Future?

babotika
14th Dec 2011, 23:10
More like a James Bond clip...

MSyeDdFUUHQ

Apologies if this has been posted before but I would like to hear what the professionals think about this idea. I know I don't like it.

S.

Blockla
14th Dec 2011, 23:29
Had me in until I saw the one controller multiple airports... So you're needed in two places at once then what? Good luck getting all the ratings and maintaining currency/proficiency.

I think that they could be advantageous at location that currently don't have towers and are extremely remote thus hard to get staff to go there and/or stay there. Thinking of Oz and Uluru... Busy enough airport without a control service.

The concept is still young and I'm not sure that the 'redundancy' issues have been thought through properly and how the CRM/Human factors for tech crews plays out.

ZOOKER
14th Dec 2011, 23:47
Superb stuff! Game On. :ok:
Post all the EGLL staff to EGPX next week. Loads of spare desks there, Band 4 salaries all round! - MONSTER!!
Think of the £ sqillions it will save! :E
They could do Gatwick as well.

Utter Sh*te.

ZOOKER
15th Dec 2011, 00:26
How on Earth can "Increased safety" be achieved by someone using a joystick to operate a PTZ camera, (thereby distracting him/her from their primary task of controlling planes), against the Mk.1 eyeball and window scenario?

Occams Razor
15th Dec 2011, 13:46
Obviously a concept drempt up by someone who has never experienced a live ATC environment.

Geffen
15th Dec 2011, 14:42
How far off? a variation already exists

NATS Delivers World-First in Control Towers (http://www.airport-int.com/article/emergency-atc.html)

ok only for contingency and no cameras but similar in concept

10W
15th Dec 2011, 17:07
Shades of Uberlingen ? You can't divide your monitoring over two different airports visually ... ever.

Minesthechevy
15th Dec 2011, 21:10
No worries mate

I spent most of my VCR time controlling stuff from the Land of Nod :D

Talkdownman
15th Dec 2011, 21:36
I spent most of my VCR time controlling stuff from the Land of Nod
Shouldn't that be the Land R***r of Nod? Either that or on the telephone. Or out walking the dogs.

Seriously, though, like you, Minesthechevy, it'll never work. There are so many subtle visual and aural cues a VCR controller can pick up (like his LOP nodding off...) which a CCTV and these gizmos won't ever provide to a remote controller. Our next door neighbour already wants to do our SRAs then use CCTV to check that the runway is clear, all for extra revenue. Can you believe it? Total delusion, total fiction, utter madness....an accident waiting to happen, it'll all end in tears like Tunnels In The Sky. Keep remote controllers for the TV until the batteries pack up and you have to get out of your chair to press a button. Whatever next? Pilots flying their sectors from the comfort of their Camberley conservatory?

edit because Land R0v*r appeared as Trabant. Work that one out....

cossack
16th Dec 2011, 02:53
Buffering.....

http://www.wrc.com/ford/VisionPlayer/images/buffering.gif

:ugh:

Gonzo
16th Dec 2011, 04:33
Ah, but is it safer than having no ATC at all?

These concepts are aimed at providing a level of safety for those airports, for example in Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Australia, Africa etc that have perhaps one or two scheduled movements a day, which currently have no airport based ATC, but those flights are the main link to the wider world due to geography.

The idea is to group a few of these airports together, so a level of remote tower ATC can be provided for that movement.

stevep64
16th Dec 2011, 05:19
OK, I'll admit it. I just sat there looking at Cossack's post, waiting for it to do something, until I got the joke. :ugh:

Minesthechevy
16th Dec 2011, 09:23
@TDM

<< Either that or on the telephone. Or out walking the dogs.>> Aw, now that's just plain mean - I never used the phone when I was out walking the dogs, the telephone cable wasn't long enough.

<<<Seriously, though, like you, Minesthechevy, it'll never work. >>>

Aw, now that's just plain mean - I run my own language school now, and I worked harder than I ever did in ATC.... no, hang on, that's not what I meant. Damn.

<<< (like his LOP nodding off...) >>>

Aw, now that's just mean - I only ever, er, 'relaxed' with controllers I trusted.

<<edit because Land R0v*r appeared as Trabant.>>

Aw, now that's just plain mean. Trabants work.