PDA

View Full Version : Setting up in business

Carbon Cristal
14th Dec 2011, 21:49
Is it possible for an individual to set up a business in aviation today. I was thinking of getting a cpl buying an aircraft (cessna caravan or the like) then possibly looking for work ferrying freight and the like around Britain and Ireland. Is this a viable sort of idea? Could it make a profit? Can you make a decent living doing this?

stuckgear
15th Dec 2011, 10:24
and the AoC ?

Cessna caravan ? You may want to look into restriction of public transport operations in single engine. Dont know if it has changed recently, but previously it was a no-no. Single Engine ops - pc12 [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-139046.html)

mixture
24th Dec 2011, 20:49
Carbon Cristal,

Forgetting the aviation specific questions that might arise from yours, an important question to ask is how are you going to get a stable customer base bringing you repeat business, and how much were you planning to spend doing so ?

Customers don't just arrive on your doorstep, and good PR & Marketing costs money.

As others have already hinted. Sit down, think about it and write a business plan. Then have it reviewed by someone with a hard nose who is guaranteed to try to pick holes in it .... until you've got to the point when you've covered the gaping holes in your plan, you're just going to be throwing money down the drain.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying don't spend any money on anything until you've at least made a basic plan.

Superpilot
25th Dec 2011, 11:02
Is this a viable sort of idea? Could it make a profit? Can you make a decent living doing this?

Now that you've had some time to consider the above responses and maybe have spent a little more time researching the European GA industry, why don't you tell us what you've discovered? :ok: