PDA

View Full Version : 330 mins ETOPS for 777.

Sonny Hammond
13th Dec 2011, 05:24
Boeing gets 330min ETOPS nod for 777 | Australian Aviation Magazine (http://australianaviation.com.au/2011/12/boeing-gets-330min-etops-nod-for-777/)

Should lead to some interesting routes in the future!:ooh:

QCM
13th Dec 2011, 18:01
Quote...Approval for 777-200ERs equipped with Rolls-Royce engines is expected in the coming months, Boeing said....

RR needs fixing thrust reversers inner walls to fly away 5hrs30 from the blessed runway:hmm:

GoAround_Flaps20
16th Dec 2011, 22:30
Wow! What a number! How about the GE90-115B equipped birds? We have so far approved in the company the 180min ETOPS only. But actually, there is no additional ETOPS time needed for our operations, as we only perform South America-Europe flights.

Safe flights!

glofish
18th Dec 2011, 08:04
I don't really care about ETOPS. The engines were never the real trouble lately.
What bothers me more is smoke, fire or severe system inadequacies. That is just as threatening far away from airports and is independent of the number of engines.
Actually it's the whale that has shutdowns while balancing fuel and 4 gens going offline only to come back on ground with a simple reset. It's 4 donkeys don't help, I'd still rather fly over the ponds in a T7....

neville_nobody
18th Dec 2011, 10:40
On a serious note I wonder what the US 777 crew that had an engine failure mid pacific between NZ and LA and flew on for over 4 hours single engine (can't remember time precisely) feel about 330mins ETOPS - I think it is pushing the boundaries personally!

Yeah they had a engine problem at the PNR and flew for 192 minutes on one donk to Hilo back when ETOPS was 180 mins.

I agree 330 mins on one engine in the middle of the night probably over the south pole or some other similarly inhospitable locale is pushing the limits.

The engines were never the real trouble lately.

Some QANTAS pilots would probably disagree on that point at the moment:}