PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL at National Air College, San Diego, CA.

delaneydjm
12th Dec 2011, 19:11
Fellow members,

I am a UK citizen looking to obtain my FAA PPL in California early next year. I will hopefully then be able to use it to travel around the States whilst on sabbatical (until the summer) before returning to the UK where I understand that it will still be valid for use. I initially intended to obtain a JAA PPL in the US but then discovered that it would take some time to be approved for an FAA license and therefore restrict my ability to fly solo, which defeats the point of my trip.

I have been researching into SEVIS-approved schools in CA and come up with a shortlist. Some of the schools feature on various threads here which have been helpful but some don't. So, if anyone could provide me with some information about National Air College operating out of Montgomery Field, San Diego I would be most grateful. Feel free to PM me with your thoughts and experiences if you prefer.

Many thanks for your time,

Dan

Gomrath
12th Dec 2011, 23:46
I am a UK citizen looking to obtain my FAA PPL in California early next year. I will hopefully then be able to use it to travel around the States whilst on sabbatical (until the summer) before returning to the UK where I understand that it will still be valid for use.

Yes and no. If EASA pass the regs that they intend and you are a European resident, you will have to get a Euro license within the next couple of years and all that entails. For a private pilot, with no intentions of coming back to the US, the FAA cert would then not be much use.

I initially intended to obtain a JAA PPL in the US but then discovered that it would take some time to be approved for an FAA license and therefore restrict my ability to fly solo, which defeats the point of my trip.

If you get a JAA license, the paperwork is submitted to the UK CAA who will then issue you with the physical license. You then need that license and logbook etc in order to apply for a FAA 'restricted' certificate under FAR 61.75.
The process is itself quite quick. - the delay will be in getting the paperwork from the Flight School to the UK CAA and them processing their license and getting it mailed off to you before you can start the process.

delaneydjm
13th Dec 2011, 11:44
Thank you for your response Gomrath. My main priority is to be able to fly solo in the US so as to enjoy this time that I have away from work there. The weather conditions being what they are in the UK and the fact that I travel to the US a lot means that my FAA license will be well used. WRT to the changing regulations in Europe I will just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

Any information on the school specifically will be well received.

Cheers,

Dan

flyingpony
13th Dec 2011, 20:18
If intending to 'travel around' be sure to check the school's contract- I recall a clause in a Florida school contract agreeing that you would not hire an a/c from another school or FBO whilst there on your M1 visa. Whether this was just the particular school trying to protect their business or something related to visa terms or TSA rules, I don't know... Perhaps it may contravene your visa issuance that you will be checked out by an organisation other than your flight school, as that is essentially seen as dual training
On another note, I had intended hiring an aircraft solo for x-country trips after my PPL training in USA, but I must say, after bare minimum training, diving into that might not be such a good idea, I'd want an instructor or experienced PPL with me.

777ord
14th Dec 2011, 19:41
I live in San Diego, and fly out of Montgomery.

How much are you looking to spend, and how many hours, ratings do you want to leave with?

National Air College is pretty good, but, there are many other choices at MYF to pick from.

feel free to pick my brain:ok: