PDA

View Full Version : Flying schools near Edinburgh, Scotland

rob.davis87
12th Dec 2011, 12:31
Hi all,

I'm potentially going to be moving to Scotland (Edinburgh) early next year depending on work and was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations on flying schools up that way? I'm currently 22 hours into my PPL at Stapleford, Essex, which I'm really enjoying and like the facilities, environment and instructors there.

The aim is go all the way through to ATPL, but need to save the money first. In the meantime I would like to continue with the PPL as I'm almost halfway through. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Rob

mad_jock
12th Dec 2011, 13:26
Your spoiled for choice to be honest

You have dundee perth, cum, PIK, Fife all within easy distance.

Although with Fife you need a whole raft of injections before its safe to enter.

Cholera is a must

Rabies is advisable in case a local woman gets her teeth into you.

And the usual typhoid, hep and tetanus.

We will now get a whole load of hobbits opps sorry serf's of the Kingdom of Fife saying I am talking ****e. But trust me its a very strange place with funny natives.

supersani
12th Dec 2011, 14:17
But once you've had your shots and acquired the obligatory Alsatian we're very friendly here in Fife.

We even welcome mad jocks

dont overfil
12th Dec 2011, 14:59
If you look up perthairport.eu
and
taysideaviation.co.uk
These two sites will give you details of five training organisations at four locations.
All can take you from PPL (or NPPL) all the way to frozen ATPL and all have active clubs attached.
D.O.

Unusual Attitude
12th Dec 2011, 15:24
Perth is a very friendly place, indeed one local FI was having such a jolly time yesterday that he couldnt call finals properly for laughing.... :}

Trim handles in the roof can be confusing cant they ;)

dont overfil
12th Dec 2011, 15:30
Hi Mr Brown (In joke)
He told me he thought the handle was for the sunroof!:p
D.O.

Unusual Attitude
12th Dec 2011, 15:36
Lucky you didn't see the steep turns, could swear I saw 2000fpm on the VSI, I thought we'd been shot down.....

Perhaps I should have mentioned the interlinked rudder and Ailerons sooner... that'll teach him to criticise my rudder work..... :E

NorthSouth
12th Dec 2011, 20:55
Rob: check your PMs

NS

mad_jock
13th Dec 2011, 05:29
Rob as you can tell its quite a small community up North with most folk knowing each other once they have been around abit.

There are some definate characters, a few knobs but pretty good standards across the board.

The challanges are slightly different with wx being a big factor and also high ground. Airspace isn't such a biggie with most of the country covered in class G but there is still enough around that you can get yourself in trouble if you really try hard.

The views are excellent and you have some interesting destinations within easy reach if you want to stretch your legs. And also there are many groups you can join if you want to step out of the club rental scene.

I am sure you will enjoy yourself, as with all training I would advise to go and visit a few schools and see which one fits you and also who you get a good vib off. Perth is a good place to start but you would be cutting your self short if you didn't go and have a look at the others they are all slightly different and have pros and cons. For example PIK and INV have alot less issues with wx than the other fields but they are more of a trek to get to.

The only thing that doesn't change is scottish info with fisbangwallop and his mates giving a sterling service to us all.

cats_five
13th Dec 2011, 08:42
<snip>

We will now get a whole load of hobbits opps sorry serf's of the Kingdom of Fife saying I am talking ****e. But trust me its a very strange place with funny natives.

But most of the natives stay in their villages and don't go flying...

mattpat
13th Dec 2011, 11:17
Rob

Air Service Training is doing full or part time groundschool and ATPL modular flying
at Perth

try [email protected]

rob.davis87
14th Dec 2011, 08:49
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I will take a look round several in the new year, once I've moved up.

Walk Into The Sky
14th Dec 2011, 16:47
I highly recommend Fife, friendly yet professional training. :ok:

caber0
14th Dec 2011, 22:13
Another vote for Fife! Tayside have a very good relationship with Loganair and have a significant number of people who have started at Fife or Dundee doing an air experience flight and are now captains or first officers with Loganair or have gone on to other airlines. Fife is close to Edinburgh, only 40 minutes in the car. There is a lot of good airspace around, even a friendly radar service at Leuchars and Dundee ATC for a proper controlled approach. Currently here are C152 and C172 for training and rumours we may get a Piper from Dundee in the near future. All in all a nice place to learn

Caber:)

SCOTTYBOY11
16th Dec 2011, 15:16
Tayside. Couldn't rate it higher. Doing ATPL's at the moment and returning there to finish the rest of training. Friendly staff and a fun place to fly.