PDA

View Full Version : Ryanairs Christmas message

BwatchGRUNT
11th Dec 2011, 06:46
Their way of saying thankyou for all the fuel efficient reroutes and climbs they get compared to the flight plan!!

On their website and in the national press.

UK ATC deliver £50 million Christmas present to owners and promptly take the weekend off

Ryanair, Europe’s largest airline, today (9 Dec) called on the Transport Secretary to ensure that the UK monopoly Air Traffic Control provider (NATS) turns up for work in the run up to Christmas.

Last week the NATS monopoly completed a payment of £50m to its owners, including the Government, Easyjet, BA and Virgin, who seem more interested in keeping UK Air Traffic Control charges the highest in the EU rather than improving the service to passengers.

Just two days after this Christmas bonus, NATS advised its airline customers that weekend flights are at risk of “short notice sickness”. On Saturday 3rd December, NATS announced “staffing” as a reason for UK ATC delays that morning.

It is no wonder that the ATC Performance Review Body* (PRB) has condemned NATS as a failure, having failed to pass the ”delay level” and “unit rate” check (i.e. poor service and high prices). Despite this damning report, the CAA regulator “did not adequately address” the PRB findings.

Ryanair calls on the Transport Secretary to:

• Require that NATS turns up for work at Christmas so that passengers are not disrupted by ATC “short notice sickness”.

• Require the CAA to act on the PRB finding that NATS charges are too high.

• Ensure that UK airspace is opened to competition rather than wrapped up as a cast iron monopoly for sale to the highest private monopoly bidder.

• Ensure that the Government shareholding is used to improve NATS service and reduce charges rather than inflating NATS for sale to a private monopoly (with the same disastrous results as the BAA’s London airports).

rumouroid
11th Dec 2011, 06:55
O'Leary is really good at biting the hand that feeds.

If I turn for up for work I shall not be climbing Ryanair above their flight planned level and they will fly their flight planned route.:ok:

Merry Xmas!

Johnny Tightlips
11th Dec 2011, 08:45
Yap it's the same with his staff. I think it would be a good idea to give us flight plan route and level. We only ask for short cuts so we can get back to base quicker not for that clowns benefit. I have great respect for all the London controllers and you do a great job with the complicated airspace you have:ok:

BeT
11th Dec 2011, 10:33
Didnt he do/say something similar last year to the Brussels ACC controllers - even threatened them with court action???

After a few weeks of Charleroi arrivals flying the standard route from the south (instead of 10nm final or GSY) everything seemed to quietly 'disappear'.

I bet that cost him a few pennies :)

Gingerbread Man
11th Dec 2011, 11:17
I don't care what press releases Ryanair make, they'll still get the same level of service as everyone else from me. Anything else would be unprofessional in my view.

I wasn't aware we provided a 'poor service' though.

Alycidon
11th Dec 2011, 11:17
Regardless of who employs us, at the coal face surely we're all on the same side.

DC10RealMan
11th Dec 2011, 11:22
Operational ATC staff and Pilots = Workers

Mr O Leary, NATS owners, and Board of NATS = The Management

I am sure that the Ryanair crews are as embrassed by the antics of their boss as the NATS employees were by Mr Barron but I do think that he has a point about a private monopoly.

Johnny Tightlips
11th Dec 2011, 11:40
Filthy leprechaun scumbags For God's sake. What a comment to make in 2011:=

To the 99.9% of British controllers that help us out, thanks and it is much appreciated.

To Yahoo!®http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

I am sure that the Ryanair crews are as embrassed by the antics of their boss Must of us are embarrassed and ashamed to work for them or their contracting agency. However until things pick up I'm afraid we are stuck here for the foreseeable futurehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

B Fraser
11th Dec 2011, 11:47
Instead of a glass of sherry and a mince pie, does MOL leave Santa a bill for ground handling and parking fees beside his stocking ?

;)

10W
11th Dec 2011, 13:16
Maybe the people with flu, on medication which invalidates their licence, or are otherwise unfit for work should all just come in and in the event of any incident, O'Leary can be the one who takes the blame. In reality, he'd probably just issue another press release about how ATC were operating with staff unfit to do the job. Catch 22 with the (IMHO) gob****e.

DC10RealMan
11th Dec 2011, 13:38
Gob****e=Technical term, used a lot in aviation.

11th Dec 2011, 19:12
Let's not be too hasty in condemnation; if we sift out the sarcastic bits there could well be a grain of truth in the yuletide greeting. If corrected for shift working staff levels are there almost as many £100k non operational controllers as there are operational controllers? There IS a monopoly. Why does an ANSP need 6000 staff when 4000 should cover the job? If the organisation is so efficient then why are the Nav Charges so high? Is there an intention to keep charges and salaries high in order to inflate total turnover with a view to valuation/sell-off?
I don't know.......maybe some-one should ask?

BigDaddyBoxMeal
11th Dec 2011, 21:57
I see; so when NATS hand out large and regular dividends to their shareholders, the employees are allowed to be outraged and vent about it.

However, when one of the largest customers does the same, he is castigated and judged a "gob****e".

Seems fair :ok:

aldegar
12th Dec 2011, 06:16
When O'Leary speaks in the spanish media, spanish controllers are referred to as "lazy and overpaid" and he says really nice things like "they should all be fired". Oh, and he also mentions AENA being a monopoly, having the highest ATC charges...

fisbangwollop
12th Dec 2011, 06:42
To be honest I have a soft spot for MOL......at least he says what he thinks and is not likely to stab you in the back like some other CEO's may do!!

But to be honest does anyone listen??....I doubt it, just his way of getting a wee bit of free press....any press is good press no matter what you say.

As for NATS doling out his hard earned money to his competitor's well maybe he has a point....but then again he has the chance to come aboard and join the party....mind you he will need to be quick to beat the German's if yesterday's Sunday Times is to be believed!!!

Deutsche Flugsicherung plans bid for Nats stake - MarketWatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/deutsche-flugsicherung-plans-bid-for-nats-stake-2011-12-11)

fireflybob
12th Dec 2011, 07:01
To be honest I have a soft spot for MOL......at least he says what he thinks and is not likely to stab you in the back like some other CEO's may do!!

fisbangwollop, what are you smoking at the moment?

10W
12th Dec 2011, 08:55
However, when one of the largest customers does the same, he is castigated and judged a "gob****e".

No, he is a gob****e because he advocates the following:

Ryanair calls on the Transport Secretary to:

• Require that NATS turns up for work at Christmas so that passengers are not disrupted by ATC “short notice sickness”.

So he wants controllers who are sick to be forced by the Transport Secretary to turn up for work anyway ? I stick by my opinion of the man.

There are selective grains of truth in some of the things in his press release granted, but he selectively omits to put flesh on the bones and explain why some of those things are actually happening, many of which are not under the control of NATS.

Meanwhile, as a shining beacon of customer service, Ryanair continues to give us all a great deal :ugh:

£100 to check in a bag (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/ryanair-to-charge-100-for-checking-in-a-bag-16089378.html)

deci
12th Dec 2011, 12:55
£100 to check in a bag (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/ryanair-to-charge-100-for-checking-in-a-bag-16089378.html)

o'leary needs money to support this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2011/dec/12/climate-change-carbon-emissions?newsfeed=true) project.. :E

Me Me Me Me
12th Dec 2011, 12:56
055166KWhy does an ANSP need 6000 staff when 4000 should cover the job?

I don't think we've had 6000 staff since the early 90s :ok:

10W
12th Dec 2011, 14:19
deci

You could be right :p

As for the article, Mr Parkinson is not proposing anything new. I saw modelling of such a concept at Eurocontrol in the late 1990's (ATC2000 I think it was called). An American airline pilot was trying to flog a similar idea in the 90's as well called Free Flight. Neither have appeared in the real world yet. He could take his ideas to Eurocontrol and see what they say, but I presume previous iterations have been tested and dismissed for some reason or another.

DC10RealMan
12th Dec 2011, 22:20
Mr Michael O Leary, the Gerald Ratner of aviation?

FlightPathOBN
12th Dec 2011, 23:34
caviat: I dont know the particulars...that being said...

I would hope, really hope, that this is more of a misguided protest of the fees that an airline is faced with...

again, i dont know the particulars, but perhaps the profit was the issue, while the airlines are struggling, is the point...

example: just flew from SEA-SFO-SYD-MEL, with a ticket price of $1825 of which $770 was airport fees/taxes. So about 43% of my ticket was for fees..the airline is left with 58%, or about $1060 to pay for the aircraft, fuel, crew, and liability...

there are very few items that I pay for that have a 43 percent tax included in the sale price...

I actually felt bad for the airline...

now, case in point. NATS gives exceptional service...that is not the issue...message delivery by ryanair is an issue, but

I can see the point from the fox as well as the hound....

5milesbaby
12th Dec 2011, 23:49
So in FlightPathOBN's example, does anyone know how little of that actually goes to the ANSP?

Lon More
13th Dec 2011, 12:48
To be honest I have a soft spot for MOL......

So have I ....

.... it's caled the Goodwin Sands

5miles the calculation can be found here (http://www.eurocontrol.int/faq/route-charges)

Avoiding_Action
13th Dec 2011, 13:19
It's worth noting that taxes and charges often include fuel charges which are charged by the airline.

atcdr
13th Dec 2011, 13:22
As an ATCO, I personally found this press release very insulting.

For a start, they way it is written implies that the sickness was somehow related to the £50 million payout (were we all too hungover to work?!).

Also, Ryanair abuse the filed flight plan far more than any other airline that I ever talk to. Despite this, we generally accommodate all requests and route all airlines as directly as possible, within safety, legal and procedural requirements.

With regards to a monopoly, yes this is true, but would any pilots like a choice of ATC providers operating the same airspace? This would be the only true non-monopoly. Ryanair could always fly out over the ocean (from Ireland) and through Brest control, or through the FIR to avoid NATS charges!

As for delays, NATS has European Delay Leagues up on its screens around Swanwick; before iFACTS training, we were often not even on the table, and even during the training we weren't the worst, despite being massively understaffed over the summer.

So, sorry Ryanair pilots, I will continue to be polite to you but you'll only get safe and orderly from me; no more expeditious for the time being. The only way we can get the message through to Mr O'Leary is by hitting him in the pocket.

fireflybob
13th Dec 2011, 13:59
The only way we can get the message through to Mr O'Leary is by hitting him in the pocket.

atcdr, whilst agreeing with you 100%, if only it were really this simple.

After a while dictators start to believe in their own propaganda.

Also they surround themselves with puppets that dare not step out of line.

However I believe that what goes around comes around and he will get his comeuppance eventually.

Spitoon
13th Dec 2011, 15:57
So in FlightPathOBN's example, does anyone know how little of that actually goes to the ANSP?Beware - in Europe the route charges don't belong to the ANSP but to the State. The unit charge for flights through the State's airspace may include elements for many other things - all 'explained' in Regulation (EC) No 1794/2006 and Commission Regulation (EU) No 1191/2010.

GAPSTER
16th Dec 2011, 13:31
Oh dear....not my usual style to lower myself to his level but if that Irish **** (purely used as an identifier with no disrespect intended to the great people of Eire :-) would like to join me in my office on Christmas Day morning anytime from 07.00 he can be assured of a hearty exchange of views.What a c##t!

Evanelpus
16th Dec 2011, 14:09
Mr Michael O Leary, the Gerald Ratner of aviation?

Not really, quite the opposite actually. Ratner admitted that the product he sold was crap!!:uhoh:

DC10RealMan
16th Dec 2011, 15:37
I think that Mr O Leary and Mr Ratner are similar as both treat their customers with derision bordering on contempt, and I wonder if by talking about him even on a website we are pandering to his ego.

The irony is that real airlines such as British Airways, Aer Lingus, Lufthansa, etc are cheaper to fly as customers and treat their passengers properly. This is particularly evident when there are unusual circumstances for passengers such as aircraft unservicabilities or weather "issues"

fireflybob
16th Dec 2011, 17:02
I think that Mr O Leary and Mr Ratner are similar as both treat their customers with derision bordering on contempt, and I wonder if by talking about him even on a website we are pandering to his ego.

Not to mention the staff!