PDA

View Full Version : A lovely day for flying

Jan Olieslagers
10th Dec 2011, 17:23
...was today's Saturday 10th Dec 2011. At least down here. Flew EBZH-EBZH-EBLN-ENML-EBZH, 130 mins total tach time (estimated) at only 4000 rpm, be nice to the engine and to the cost of fuel. Worth remembering was my missing the circuit at EBML - flew it on the North side where it DID be shown to the South - got promptly yet kindly corrected after landing, and went for a quick lunch. That's to say, quick was my idea but the poor charming young lady was rather overloaded ("sursollicitee") so that I still spent close on an hour.

Worse than the missed circuit and the slow food service was my intercom operating erratically at the beginning, I thought no worse than a dirty contact but by the time I came to EBML the bloody thing was dead, not even a LED left alive, so no comms at all, I could just press the Tx on the A6 to make people aware someone was around. The intercom is now on my - ahum - electronics workbench, to get the best care I can manage tomorrow.

patowalker
10th Dec 2011, 19:18
Notice for use
The IC-A24E/A6E complies with requirements of the European Radio and Telecommunication Terminal Directive 1999/5/EC and is RTTE and CE approved. At present full approval for air use is not attainable for this product or any other product at this level in the market place. Therefore, IC-A24E & A6E are both intended for use in Europe for ground use only.

Now you know why it doesn't work in the air. :)

Jan Olieslagers
10th Dec 2011, 19:22
Thank you Sir - but the A6 gave no sign of malfunctioning. The intercom is a separate 57mm box mounted just below.
Besides, you know as well as myself (or likely a good deal better) that approval is only relevant for certified craft.

patowalker
10th Dec 2011, 19:30
Err, no. VHF radios and transponders need to be approved in any type of aircraft, because they can potentially interfere with equipment in other aircraft.

thing
10th Dec 2011, 22:10
I'm glad it's been a lovely day. I spent 1:20 under the foggles tracking NDB's. I asked my instructor what it was like outside, 'Oh it's crap, vis 40k, bright sunshine, you wouldn't enjoy it.'

Can't believe I actually paid for it as well.

Mark 1
10th Dec 2011, 23:46
That 800 mile leg to Molde (ENML) in the north of Norway must have been quite something. And 1700 miles in 130minutes!

I'm impressed.

Nipper2
11th Dec 2011, 10:26
A beautiful day here (close to Southampton). First flight for my Nipper after some repairs, a shock-load inspection and recovering. Pretty much faultless.

Now it looks like the hurricane season is coming....