PDA

View Full Version : Has IO540 started a new life under his other side's nickname?

Deeday
7th Dec 2011, 12:53
...aka peterh337 (http://www.pprune.org/members/376635-peterh337) ?

I thought this was worth a mention, given his contributions to the forum.

Good job, anyway. I'm all up for keeping everything in sync :ok: (giving up the previous five-figure post count must have been hard though)

Barcli
7th Dec 2011, 15:42
looks like it - god knows why ?

Jan Olieslagers
7th Dec 2011, 15:52
Multiple personality syndrome, perhaps?

I am equally curious whether the 337 refers to the aircraft or to the FAA form or perhaps even yet to something else.

Daisy.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2011, 16:27
I can't say I'd noticed anybody else evangelising quite so vociferously that nobody should ever get airborne without a GPS after first burying their whizz-wheel at midnight in an unmarked grave.

G

goldeneaglepilot
7th Dec 2011, 16:40
Do whizz wheels need batteries? - mine still hides in my flight case, not needed it for a long time, but you never know!!

mrmum
7th Dec 2011, 18:15
I have a really nice, illuminated, motorised version with remote control, which need 4 AA batteries every couple of weeks or so.;)

S-Works
7th Dec 2011, 19:23
Oh god.... I can see one of his conspiracy theories coming on.

Mariner9
7th Dec 2011, 20:38
Has he commented on every single one of your many (2) posts then ZZZXXX? ;)

BRL
7th Dec 2011, 20:53
Let's not get too personal chaps.

piperarcher
7th Dec 2011, 21:35
I quite like what Peter writes, both in here and other forums. I am at that point where I have 350 odd hours, part own a plane and want to push my boundaries a bit. I find the VFR and IFR write-ups really interesting, and very inspiring. Even the bits of setting up a cheaper oxygen rig might be useful to some. While you can read the various pilot magazines to find out about other people's experiences, there arent many PPL's who have gone to that effort to document what they have done, so others can learn in a public forum. I dont have an IR and some of the experiences other people here have, so I guess I dont 'debate' as much, or be able to argue certain points, but I like to see the differing opinions that lots of different people have.

stickandrudderman
7th Dec 2011, 21:54
I value the posts of all regular contributors, whatever their standpoint.
If I had to think of a catchphrase to sum up IO540's posts it would be something along the lines of, "You too can do this if you choose"
It makes quite a change from all the usual nay sayers on most forums.
He gets baited quite a lot but only bites if there's any substance to the bait....

Shunter
8th Dec 2011, 05:56
I just hope he has pi55ed off! Sick of having to read his opinion on everything that is ever written! Maybe flying that amazing TB20 for once rather than writing about it??

He's an opinionated chap, certainly. However he does have a lot of experience in many areas which are relevant to the GA scene, perhaps the most notable being his forcing of various regulatory authorities to stop fannying around and actually publish a solid stance on grey area policy.

As opposed to your good self who has contributed 2 posts, one of which is a bitching session. Well done.

vanHorck
8th Dec 2011, 09:13
I too value his opinion. In the end this is what a forum is for. Not a biased view from some magazine which is entirely dependent on the advertorial content and cash of the manufacturer, but just an honest opinionated piece of information.

He does not hide who he is, he is direct in his approach, and he flies a lot on big trips in a plane most of us can afford.

i say we need 100 more Peters and less "vinaigrette" writers such as ZZZXXX

:D

patowalker
8th Dec 2011, 10:05
... in a plane most of us can afford.

Say again.

Justiciar
8th Dec 2011, 10:27
I think Peter flies in a plane most of us cannot afford.

Having flown twice with him I would say that he strikes me as very competent indeed. He is one of those people who, when they set about doing something, make it their business to acquire as much knowledge of the subject as they possibly can. That is apparent from the articles on his site, though some are too technical even for me! We are actually poles apart in our flying: fast tourer which likes runway vs old tail dragger on short grass strip!!

Were I to win the lottery this weekend and have a few mil to spare he is certainly one of the people I would talk to at length about my purchase of a good touring aircraft and the process of acquiring the skills to fly it competently.

Ultra long hauler
8th Dec 2011, 15:57
...aka peterh337 (http://www.pprune.org/members/376635-peterh337) ?

I thought this was worth a mention, given his contributions to the forum.

Good job, anyway. I'm all up for keeping everything in sync :ok: (giving up the previous five-figure post count must have been hard though)

I am obviously the only who doesn't understand your post.
What happened to IO540?
He changed username.....but why is he not replying to this thread?
And why did he change exactly?

Were I to win the lottery this weekend and have a few mil to spare
If you were, don't forget your dear friend$ at PPRuNe.

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Jan Olieslagers
8th Dec 2011, 16:02
less "vinaigrette" writers well said, Sir!

I do think we should avoid comments on any person, and stick to exchanging facts and experiences. Leaving room for the occasional personal opinion, preferably supported by a good story.

Jan Olieslagers
8th Dec 2011, 16:09
He changed username.....but why is he not replying to this thread?

To each their own. If indeed this be one and the same person, then it is her/his own decision, with no need or obligation to explain or justify.

And after all: a ship's load is more important than the flags displayed. On an internet forum, at least.

dont overfil
8th Dec 2011, 16:12
He was 93.:p Nice to see it's true about reincarnation.
D.O.

24Carrot
10th Dec 2011, 11:18

Perhaps he upgraded the TB20's engine!

AN2 Driver
10th Dec 2011, 20:54
I think Peter flies in a plane most of us cannot afford.

He flies a TB20. It's nicer and newer than several other types which are around but these days, TB20ties can be found at fairly decent prices too.

Were I to win the lottery this weekend and have a few mil to spare he is certainly one of the people I would talk to at length about my purchase of a good touring aircraft and the process of acquiring the skills to fly it competently.

Win the lottery?

Fact of the matter is, there are very many people out there who THINK a PA28 is "cheaper" than a TB20 or a Mooney to travel in, however that is not necessarly true. When I evaluated a good travel airplane, I had the choice between several PA28/C172's and Arrows or Mooneys. Today, some TB20ties would probably even come into consideration, given how prices have gone.

Fact is, for travelling, speed is money. 90-110 kt airplanes are good for hour building, when the flight time is actually the target to get you to a higher amount of flight hours. 140-160 kt airplanes cost slightly more per hour, but not necessarily per trip. If you do a 500 NM trip in a 100 kt plane, that is 10 flight hours return, however, with a 150 kt plane it's 6-40. Now, if the 100 kt plane costs £150 and the 150 kt plane £200, make the calcs. Yep, the 150 kt traveller is £170 cheaper. (Figures purely mathematical, but insert the proper ones and you'll see).

So if Peter's TB20 is an unaffordable dream, well, I'd think it might make sense to reconsider and actually run numbers. What I am sure of out of my own experience is however that travellers with 150 kts can be found for the same or close by price than a 100 kt hour collector and can be flown more efficiently and cheaper. For example, look at the C/E/F Mooneys out there.

Whereas Peter is concerned, I'd have to say he's one of the main reasons I am here a lot more than in the national forums I frequent. His attitude to GA and flying in general is what I'd like to see more. Proficient, knows what he's talking about and at the same time someone who has not resigned to the "overwhelming" EASA bureaucracy but carries on regardless.

I do hope he'll be back.

GeeWhizz
10th Dec 2011, 21:55
A slight thread drift but...

Fact is, for travelling, speed is money.

Couldn't agree more. You pay more and go further in the same amount of time. You pay less, you go less far. I conform to the former type of pilot hirer. I'd rather pay more and go further gaining exponentially more experience than remaining in the local area seeing everything I've already seen at least 45 times before, but paying a minimal rate (this is the most frikkin frustrating thing I frequently see fellow low-hour club members do Grrrrrrrr).

As for IO540... go back to being IO540 - you made for much more amuzing reading! Perhaps hitting 15000 posts meant it was time for a down-power re-power? :)

Deeday
10th Dec 2011, 23:08
I do hope he'll be back.No worries then: he hasn't left, just changed his nickname, and is as active as ever (http://www.pprune.org/search.php?searchid=8242380) (if only too shy to say hello on this thread :p )

RTN11
14th Dec 2011, 18:31
Perhaps to bring his username in line with one he uses on another forum?