PDA

View Full Version : Running your own Aeroplane?

Snigs
11th Dec 2001, 01:14
I passed my initial IRT the day before the 11th September! Bad timing perhaps, but I am mindful that I still have a life to live, unlike many a poor sole in New York and Washington. Still, this horrendous terrorism left me in an unfortunate position.

Fortunately, I returned to my old job to generate some income whilst humankind settled itself into the new world order. I am desperate to fly for a living (as are most who complete the CPL/IR training) so I started thinking about how I could do this with my experience and in the current employment climate.

I recently saw the MD’s secretary searching through the press/web for cheap flights for the management to visit the company’s European offices. Well, I suggested to the MD that if the company owned or leased its own aircraft it could be cheaper, (especially if I flew it!!) than flying on scheduled flights, certainly in terms of time and convenience. He asked me to put together a business case to see if it was a viable proposition.

I think I have found a suitable aircraft for the company’s requirements (Cessna 310), that the current owners may sell or sell a half share in. I am a complete beginner when it comes to running/leasing aircraft and I haven’t a clue (yet) what I should be asking this guy about the aircraft.

I know that I should find out what engine and airframe hours the aircraft has got (but what’s the life of a 310?). I need to know the annual running costs, but how many hours a year do I need to fly to make it viable? Etc etc.

I know that this is a very ambiguous question, but anyone with any hints or tips on aircraft ownership and what I should be looking for or asking, then I would really appreciate your input!

twistedenginestarter
11th Dec 2001, 02:16
Try 200 pounds GBP per hour plus your income. If you want to buy a C310 get a maintenance outfit to assess it for you. You need also to cost in some fallback for when the C310 is not available.

Full marks for trying but you've got a mountain to climb. No offence but if I had to choose between an A319 with two jet engines, pressurisation and two highly trained BA pilots or your good self with me and a sandwich, sick bag and an empty Virgin Cola bottle in the back of a C310....

411A
11th Dec 2001, 06:41
Just remember (and don't tell the boss) that when you acquire an aeroplane, it is always from someone who is looking for a greater fool.... :D to sell it to...
OR,
the three F's;
if it flies,
if it floats,
if it fu@ks...
it's generally cheaper to rent.

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: 411A ]

twistedenginestarter
11th Dec 2001, 13:45
Sorry I forgot to mention you will need to add landing, handling and Eurocontrol en route charges. Wild guess here - 100-200 GBP per (one-way) journey.

I suspect you cannot make a vaild case unless your company flies from close to some little field miles from an major airport to close to another little field miles from a major airport. The saving in time/hassle might be worth the extra cost and discomfort.

RVR800
11th Dec 2001, 17:49
Stress the prestige element for the
MD and the business and the fact
that now is a good time to buy
now that we are in the downcycle.
Flexibility of departure times and
availability.

Wx minima Icing fog etc and cost,
lack of comfort are the disadvantages.

411A
12th Dec 2001, 03:48
Icing...fog...well especially icing, the 310 does NOT like icing.
OTOH, the 421C is not too bad...441 even better, especially with -10 engines.

GlueBall
15th Dec 2001, 20:38
Figure the cost factor in reasonable terms, then multiply it by TWO and you'll be covered! :p

polzin
20th Dec 2001, 02:15
There are still a few 310's running around in the states, but most have been used for a higher calling,------beer cans.

I am now Y2 compliant !

411A
20th Dec 2001, 06:35
Polzin---
Only a few? Last time I looked the 310 was far and away one of THE most popular twins around.
Where do you get your information?