PDA

View Full Version : Spring UK Private Flying Bash?

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2011, 09:19
So, we approach christmas, and the sane and rational aviator puts his thoughts to Spring.

I'd like to propose that we have a Private Flying bash, as ever on a friendly airfield where there's stuff to see and do. The last one seems to have been about 8 years ago, so it's due!

So, here's an initial proposal:

Sunday March 25th, backup Saturday 31st if the weather's poor.

Location: open to suggestions but somewhere interesting between 52deg30N and 53deg30N so it's reasonably central for everybody in the UK, medium sized airfield that's friendly to whatever people are likely to want to fly. Accessible by road for those who prefer to drive. That offers the possibilities of:

Wickenby, Welshpool, Leicester, Halfpenny Green, Derby, Fenland, Norwich, Wellesbourne, Conington, Sandtoft...

What do you think chaps and chappesses?

G

LeeP-PA28
7th Dec 2011, 11:20
Sounds good - want me to have a word with Sherburn re waving landing fees if we can arrange numbers?

3 runways orientations and away from busy airspace :)

Unusual Attitude
7th Dec 2011, 11:40
Location: open to suggestions but somewhere interesting between 52deg30N and 53deg30N so it's reasonably central for everybody in the UK, medium sized airfield that's friendly to whatever people are likely to want to fly. Accessible by road for those who prefer to drive.

Assuming the UK stops at Carlisle !! ;)

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2011, 11:45
Assuming the UK stops at Carlisle !! ;)

Well it clearly doesn't, but somewhere around 98% of us live between 50 and 56 degrees, so 53 is about in the middle.

You could try organising a fly-in at Carlisle, but despite being halfway between Lands-End and John-O-Groats, I suspect you'd get a limited attendance, pleasant a spot 'though it is.

G

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2011, 11:49
Sounds good - want me to have a word with Sherburn re waving landing fees if we can arrange numbers?

3 runways orientations and away from busy airspace :)

Sounds good to me, can't speak for anybody else however.

G

Rod1
7th Dec 2011, 11:59
Go for it!

Rod1

Unusual Attitude
7th Dec 2011, 12:12
Dont worry Genghis I knew what you were getting at!

I've given up trying to attend Fly-ins in Scotland as they fall foul of the weather 99% of the time. Saying that I did attend the Perth one but that basically required me to wheel my plane out of the hanger onto the grass! ;-)

Might actually be a good excuse for me to stretch the legs a bit and head 'darn sarf' as long as its somewhere with about 600m length so I can get off the ground with a full tank of fuel and my fat ass..

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2011, 12:15
Well Sherburn is 830m of tarmac on the longest runway, and 585m of grass on the shortest - I'd hope that we can all cope with that.

Anyhow, that seems to be the quickest and most unanimous decision in the history of Pprune.

I'm happy to offer 2, probably 3 spare seats from Booker.

G

(Have flown into Dundee and Prestwick this year, so not afraid of crossing the border!)

Ds3
7th Dec 2011, 13:15
I'd have gone for Conington as it's 10 mins flight from my base, but it's debatable whether I'll have my PPL by then or not so I guess my opinion doesn't count for too much yet :cool:

Sherburn is a bit far for me so would probably have to give it a miss unfortunately, regardless of license.

peterh337
7th Dec 2011, 13:15
Hard runway, parking in good condition (no potholes or tall grass or rocks).

Of those listed, the only ones I recall having been to are Welshpool, Norwich, Wellesbourne, Sherburn in Elmet, and the 1st would have too little space IMHO, and is also very risky w.r.t. weather.

Norwich would be ideal but at £50 (?) is perhaps too pricey for most here, unless one can do a deal with one of the flying clubs. When I went there ~2 years ago I went to one of the flying clubs and it was about £15 which is totally reasonable.

Why waive landing fees? Is everybody going to spend £10 on cakes? :)

How about Cambridge? Or Shoreham? Or for a really exclusive get-together, with no risk of exposure to civilisation, how about Lydd? :)

VMC-on-top
7th Dec 2011, 13:26
Great idea, any of those are good with me. As Peter says, not much parking at Welshpool though.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2011, 13:29
I'd have gone for Conington as it's 10 mins flight from my base, but it's debatable whether I'll have my PPL by then or not so I guess my opinion doesn't count for too much yet :cool:

Sherburn is a bit far for me so would probably have to give it a miss unfortunately, regardless of license.

Fair enough, 86 nautical miles from Conington to Sherburn is nearly 2/3 of the PPL qualifying cross country and would take almost an hour in most light aeroplanes. Hate to stretch people unreasonably beyond their limits.

G

Ds3
7th Dec 2011, 14:03
Maybe we're talking about a different Conington then, as it's showing as 158nm on my map?

Regardless, the costs of renting is the restricting factor as even if I have passed my test, it's highly likely that my cross country and skills test will have been in that month too.

Flippant remarks such as that are hardly going to encourage new pilots to become part of the community.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2011, 16:36
Sorry if I caused offence, but the implication than anything more than about 10 minutes from home base was a bit far did seem to demand a little bit of mild sarcasm.

More helpfully perhaps, post here where you're coming from and anybody else based there - either with the same club, or maybe their own aircraft might be amenable to sharing. (Similarly to my posting that I can take 3 from Booker - I don't need passengers, but I hate to see empty seats in an aeroplane when somebody else could be enjoying the flying too.)

G

Ds3
7th Dec 2011, 16:54
No worries, as mentioned it's not the distance itself but the cost of the distance relative to other outgoings in the same month - just didn't think it would necessary to go in that much detail in a quick post!

I'm based in Cambridgeshire and am actually open to driving a reasonable amount to meet / pick up people etc before flying as I don't pay for petrol. Shame that doesn't cover avgas too though!

pboyall - once I've passed I'll definitely be looking for a share somewhere local or a cheaper route to flying. £30 an hour sounds great compared to the £134 I pay at the moment. Just need to get the PPL under my belt first.

dublinpilot
7th Dec 2011, 19:35
I'll give it a go too.

Obviously have to travel a bit further than most here, so probablity of not being able to due to weather is higher, especially in March. However I did make the last one and that was in November!

So fingers crossed for some good weather.

Thanks Genghis for starting the ball rolling on this.

dp

kevmusic
7th Dec 2011, 19:45
Well, I turn my back for two minutes, and look what happens! Great idea. 25th is out for me (term time) but 31st is a definite possibility(start of Easter hols). :ok:

Piper.Classique
7th Dec 2011, 20:03
Sounds fun. I'll see if I can combine it with the annual, but it really is a bit far for me if I can't (75 knots from LFDW)

BRL
7th Dec 2011, 20:52
How about Duxford or Old Warden.........

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2011, 21:07
A bit far south for some of the northern contingent perhaps?

Also, being entirely selfish - and much as I love both Shuttleworth and Duxford, I visit both for some reason most years, and would prefer to go somewhere I've not been for a while.

G

Duchess_Driver
7th Dec 2011, 22:47
Sounds like a good idea, count me in. ( Subject to the OC signing my 'leave chit' that is! )

504SQN
8th Dec 2011, 19:46
How about Hucknall? Home (http://www.merlinflyingclub.co.uk/index.html).

007helicopter
8th Dec 2011, 20:21
Important consideration !!, what about the food options at the final chosen location?

maxred
8th Dec 2011, 20:33
Count us in, we will bring two planes, that would be 8 seats, and we could tie up with other Gaelic Ppruner's who would like to admire the views.

Pointless bringing empty seats down:cool:

GeeWhizz
8th Dec 2011, 20:46
Excellent idea, I'm up for it. Here are my experiences and recommendations of the suggested airfields...

Wickenby, Welshpool, Leicester, Halfpenny Green, Derby, Fenland, Norwich, Wellesbourne, Conington, Sandtoft

I didn't really rate Wickenby's runways or cafe. Perhaps too crowded for a meet and if the aeros box is open it can be hard work to stay out of the way.:=

Welshpool, I agree with the above that its too small wrt parking.:=

Leicester/HPG/Derby/Sandtoft: not visited these so would be interested on others views.:confused:

Fenland: two runways 36/18 and 26/08 so crosswinds shouldn't be an issue. Both are shortish grass (600m/640m respectively I think). Lovely food in the cafe too.:ok:

Norwich - again as previous posts: excessive landing fees and possibly too commercial for a GA meet(?).:=

Wellesbourne: Nice hard runways, lots of parking space, and a cafe with good food. Busy place with many aeroplanes and interesting pilots of all experiences and age ranges.:ok:

Conington: Pretty much as per Wellesbourne. Nice standard overhead join pattern (pictured in Pooleys), friendly service and nice cafe. Not sure of the parking space available. I parked on the apron and someone helped to push the aeroplane back into a snug spot; easy exit though! :ok:

Sherburn: all been said already, very nice strips with a spacious cafe!:ok:

GW

Edited to add:

Duxford: nice place. But quite a walk from apron to visitors centre for landing fee payment and restaurant.:=

Also, I can have 3 spare seats and am happy to pick up at places such as Cambridge (Ds3?) if anyone would like a lift/costshare?

peterh337
8th Dec 2011, 21:18
and a cafe with good food

(at Wellesbourne)

When did you go there? I visited a few weeks ago and the food was nothing short of disgusting. The veg looked like it was prepared the previous day.

The airfield itself is fine, and they do have a little bit of hard parking which would be important (essential) for a proportion of visitors.

As I said, Norwich may be worth a look if one can do a deal with one of the flying clubs. Personally I would happily pay the £50 and park on tarmac.

Duxford should be fine, and the food is edible.

Ds3
8th Dec 2011, 21:25
Duxford works great for me! ;)

GeeWhizz - very kind of you to offer. Unless the destination ends up being local to me, pencil me in for a seat - will happily share your costs. Out of interest, what do you fly?

GeeWhizz
8th Dec 2011, 21:31
Visited Wellesbourne in July, and it all seemed fine. Quite enjoyed the lunch as far as I remember.

I learned a very important lesson during the Duxford visit, one that should be shared and never forgotten...

Never ever ever leave a headset on top of the dashboard if parked into strong hot sunshine during mid summer. The black rubber ear cup seals become immensely hot and leave red burn marks on ones face! :*

Ds3: see PM.

007helicopter
10th Dec 2011, 14:47
Or Coventry, reasonably central, plenty of runway and parking, plus converted DC6 Diner and Musuem

We had a small meet there for 6 aircraft and they waived the landing fee as we booked the restaurant.

DC6 Diner opens in plane at Coventry Airport | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1385068/DC6-Diner-opens-plane-Coventry-Airport.html)

thing
10th Dec 2011, 22:24
Sherburn sounds good to me, if it's mid week I would prefer school hols for us teacher types. Sywell is pretty good too, hasn't it recently won 'GA Airfield of the year' or some such nonsense?

Piper.Classique
11th Dec 2011, 06:38
Can we have somewhere with a choice of runway direction and preferably a grass option please? And not a silly landing fee.....

thing
11th Dec 2011, 09:40
Sherburn and Sywell have more runways than you can shake a stick at and reasonable landing fees.

Piper.Classique
11th Dec 2011, 19:01
Sherburn or Sywell it is, then! Just have to arrange some VMC now ;)

DX Wombat
11th Dec 2011, 20:49
Almost anywhere EXCEPT Sherburn in Elmet. I will not go there. I have several reasons, some personal but the last time I went (about a year ago) the state of the carpet in part of the eating area was absolutely vile and that was the final straw. It may, of course, have changed since then.
Halfpenny Green is fine and I hear that the cafe has improved. There is a great choice of runway there and there is even a little grass strip for the microlights. Wellesbourne used to have a good cafe, Shobdon's isn't too bad either. The food at Wickenby when I went with Project Propeller was fine and it's not too far away from Scampton. ;)

GeeWhizz
11th Dec 2011, 21:04
Ha'penny Green sounds good, never been but keep meaning to. Or, glancing randomly at the chart from a distance, Derby/Tatenhill? It appears both are central to the entire universe!

Pilot.Lyons
12th Dec 2011, 18:21
Hey all i fly out of tatenhill and it really is a nice airfield with a decent runway 08/26
They have just put a little conservatory on the end and mad a small cafe in it (my friend said bacon rolls are nice:)
But the cafe area is small.
Liecester has a much bigger cafe which is basically a pub with a very very good glass conservatory which sits high and has a perfect view of the runways (i liked that bit) but the guy on the radio was ignorant and rude... Other than that i quite liked it.... Sure it was about £12 landing fee too

Katamarino
12th Dec 2011, 19:42
It would be nice if we could go for a fairly Easterly airport. Then maybe I can get Backpacker on board and we can fly in from Rotterdam :ok:

dublinpilot
12th Dec 2011, 20:08
Some of us are planning on coming from the West too you know ;)

peterh337
12th Dec 2011, 20:50
How about setting aside 2 dates, say 1 week apart?

The airports being universally proposed are inaccessible in any "weather".

Genghis the Engineer
12th Dec 2011, 23:19
So, we approach christmas, and the sane and rational aviator puts his thoughts to Spring.

I'd like to propose that we have a Private Flying bash, as ever on a friendly airfield where there's stuff to see and do. The last one seems to have been about 8 years ago, so it's due!

So, here's an initial proposal:

Sunday March 25th, backup Saturday 31st if the weather's poor.

Whilst we're still haggling about what airfield (although Sherburn and Sywell seem the current favourites), everybody seems to have been happy with those dates.

G

m5dnd
13th Dec 2011, 10:14
May I suggest Sleap.. Good runways, Cheap fuel and excellent cafe!!

fattony
13th Dec 2011, 11:08
Is there any way of creating a poll so that we can vote on our preferred date/location combination?

NazgulAir
13th Dec 2011, 12:00
That's a great idea.
I'd suggest two polls; one for the location and one for the date/raindate combination.

fattony
13th Dec 2011, 13:42
Ok then, how about a map of the places (http://g.co/maps/zwn72) suggested so far. Being a low-hours PPL student, I don't know many of these destinations so someone will have to check it for accuracy.

Also, here (http://www.doodle.com/pvw8rfueyp7zr427) is a Doodle poll of all the airfields mentioned in this thread. All you have to do is add your PPRuNe alias under mine and tick the ones you'd be happy to visit. It will keep a tally of everyone's votes and will be easy to determine the most popular destination.

Genghis: hope I'm not stepping on your toes. Just thought this might help with your arrangements.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Dec 2011, 14:17
Well done Fattony, although the south coast destinations are unlikely to get many of our Northern brethren (I like Lydd, but it's a hell of a day-trip from Perth!).

G

maxred
13th Dec 2011, 20:46
That was a great idea Fattony. Liked that:D

Are the dates still 25th/31st March???? Proposed

peterh337
13th Dec 2011, 20:47
Does that google map have some kind of function, or is it just a map of UK airports?

fattony
13th Dec 2011, 22:42
It's just a map of all the airfields listed in the poll (and mentioned in this thread so far). I wasn't sure where they all were so I plotted them on a map. Once I'd gone to the effort of doing that I thought I'd share it incase other newbies find it useful.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Dec 2011, 23:01
Wow, 17 votes, and two ties for first place with 9 votes each. That was a good start.

Best we let people keep voting for a day or two, then declare a result.

G

peterh337
14th Dec 2011, 08:21
I must be thick :) I cannot see any voting function there. This is using Firefox.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Dec 2011, 09:05
I think it's you Peter, type your name in the box bottom right, then click the boxes under the airfields you're happy to go to.

Works for me in Firefox.

G

peterh337
14th Dec 2011, 09:08
Nope, all I see "bottom right" is the big map. Tried both FF and IE8.

GeeWhizz
14th Dec 2011, 09:12
Ok then, how about a map of the places suggested so far. Being a low-hours PPL student, I don't know many of these destinations so someone will have to check it for accuracy.

Also, here is a Doodle poll of all the airfields mentioned in this thread. All you have to do is add your PPRuNe alias under mine and tick the ones you'd be happy to visit. It will keep a tally of everyone's votes and will be easy to determine the most popular destination.

You are using the correct link? The 'Places' link is to the map, the 'Here' link is to the poll.

Doodle: PPRuNe Spring UK Private Flying Bash - Location Poll (http://www.doodle.com/pvw8rfueyp7zr427)

peterh337
14th Dec 2011, 09:16
:ok:......................

DX Wombat
14th Dec 2011, 14:56
Fattony, here's a photo of Halfpenny Green which I took a few years ago. It was taken before the grass strip was made.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/P1011022.jpg

fattony
14th Dec 2011, 15:44
Thanks for that Wombat. Looks good. And I just checked out the grass runway on Google Earth.

I'd actually be keen to visit any of the airfields...although, as a student, I'd be looking to hitch a lift with someone.

fattony
14th Dec 2011, 16:00
I've added Dunsfold to the poll at mikehallam's request.

Squawk_code
14th Dec 2011, 16:02
Halfpenny Green would get my vote. Plenty of parking and they actually hold a couple of fly-in's a year so would be able to accomodate I'm sure! Good cafe, 3 more than decent runways and a cracking pub just down the road that does very nice grub! Also in a relatively central location.

Just my 2p...

dublinpilot
14th Dec 2011, 16:48
Voting here is pointless...it doesn't count ;)

You need to vote here Doodle: PPRuNe Spring UK Private Flying Bash - Location Poll (http://www.doodle.com/pvw8rfueyp7zr427)

peterh337
15th Dec 2011, 20:15
How about making this a sticky?

Winhern
17th Dec 2011, 18:23
bump :cool:

Genghis the Engineer
21st Dec 2011, 17:05
And another bump. Any more votes before we settle on venue?

G

Cusco
22nd Dec 2011, 00:21
Nah: Just pick a spot and the keen ones amongst us will be there..

Cusco.

Wessex Boy
22nd Dec 2011, 18:12
Might be up for this, depending on what my diary-manager has in store for me!

DS3; I fly from Glatton (just over the A1 from Conington) so might be able to work something out

DavidWoodward
22nd Dec 2011, 18:59
Wolverhampton looks good to me.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Dec 2011, 15:13
Right then.

Over 50 people have voted, and we have a tie between Sywell and Sherburn.

Given that I started the thread, I'm going to invent an originators privilege and declare....

Sherburn in Elmet

First choice date March 25th.

Weather alternate, March 31st.

And with any luck we'll see there....

Genghis the Engineer
DublinPilot
rod1
Thing
Winhern
Piper.Classique
VMC-on-Top
maxred
FlyByMike
GeeWhizz
Peterh337
Avidian
FrodoBaggins
captain-random
Bartoflyer
Workinghard
Lee
Simon-Knight
tom-the-pilot
RL
PaulRegan
theryanbradley
Darren O
Flyboy
goodmand1
140kias

Which looks like a damned fine turnout to me if we get a reasonable proportion.

May I suggest that those likely to have spare seats post here so that anybody who fancies a lift / cost share, can PM them and make arrangements.

G

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Dec 2011, 15:14
And jumping in myself - coming from Booker/Wycombe/EGTB, 2 spare seats, 3 spare seats if people aren't too heavy.

G

rogerbucks
23rd Dec 2011, 15:44
Sounds like a plan! I will have at least one spare seat from Shoreham.

Winhern
23rd Dec 2011, 16:58
Well done for organising this Genghis :)
Any chance of you posting or PM'ing your mobile number so that if its dubious weather on the day we can get an instant confirmation of postponement or not?
W

maxred
23rd Dec 2011, 17:59
Great Sherburn it is. 2 seats from Perth, 1 seat from Glasgow. PM me for further info if interested

dublinpilot
23rd Dec 2011, 18:09
Thanks for organising this Genghis! Looking forward to it. ;)

Katamarino
23rd Dec 2011, 21:56
:sad::sad::sad:

Radar
26th Dec 2011, 17:38
What's up Katamarino?
Why the long face ?

dublinpilot
26th Dec 2011, 21:47
Oh come on Katamarino. You can make it ;) It's not so far. You've done much further in the past.

I'll bring you some Guinness ;)

Jofm5
26th Dec 2011, 22:02
Hmmmm, would not mind coming along to this if you guys dont mind and having a look round your planes seems too long since I have been around one.

I have got 7 1/2 hours logged toward my PPL before I had to put it on a back burner (Having a son consumed my finances) but hope to start again soon.

Would have to travel from Hemel so would need to find where it is to drive (or maybe offer to contribute towards fuel costs with someone).

DX Wombat
26th Dec 2011, 22:03
Sorry Genghis, I know it is only a shortish drive for me and I would love to catch up with you again but I will not set foot in that place.
A WORD OF WARNING - in view of a friend's recent experience I would telephone ahead and BOOK the amount of fuel you think you will require. My friend telephoned ahead before setting off on a 40 minutes flight to say that fuel would be required and was assured that they had fuel. They didn't. When my friend arrived there they were waiting for the tanker to arrive with it and had no idea what time it would arrive so my friend had an unecessary delay waiting for the tanker to appear.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Dec 2011, 22:15
Hmmmm, would not mind coming along to this if you guys dont mind and having a look round your planes seems too long since I have been around one.

I have got 7 1/2 hours logged toward my PPL before I had to put it on a back burner (Having a son consumed my finances) but hope to start again soon.

Would have to travel from Hemel so would need to find where it is to drive (or maybe offer to contribute towards fuel costs with someone).

You are welcome to a seat from Booker.

G

Jofm5
26th Dec 2011, 22:25
You are welcome to a seat from Booker.

Thanks Genghis, please pencil me in, did 5 of my 7 1/2 hours with AFC from there so know it well. Will send you a PM a bit closer to the time to arrange things.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Dec 2011, 22:33
I can see why you'd be pretty peed off DX-W, but refusing to go back because of that seems a bit strong. I've had far worse treatment than that from the airfield I work on !

G

NazgulAir
27th Dec 2011, 11:45
@G
Count me in!

DX-W might have a point... with so many visitors a few are bound to need fuel. Might they be inclined to cooperate?

@Katamarino
No need for sulking mate, I'll save a spare seat for you if you want it.

A nice occasion to revisit Sherburn and check if "THE BARSTOOL" is still there or E.A.C. has nicked it back.

Meanwhile, I'm having a great time listening to the traditional Top2000-of-all-times... ah, nostalgia.
For those non-Dutch who haven't yet discovered this phenomenon, check out the list on Top2000 - Radio2.nl - De lijst (http://top2011.radio2.nl/lijst/)

DX Wombat
27th Dec 2011, 12:08
Genghis, that's a tiny part of my reason for not returning. My decision was made long before then.
The warning was meant to be a genuine one as my friend was assured that there was fuel available when there wasn't and the enforced delay meant landing time at the destination meant the onward flight was compromised. I have no idea if fuel would be available at Full Sutton but that could be a planned alternative if it were. I would hate to see that happen to you and everyone else.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Dec 2011, 12:42
A couple of Sherburn based Ppruners are already speaking to the airfield, so hopefully we should be fine.

G

VMC-on-top
28th Dec 2011, 18:36
Sherburn in Elmet

First choice date March 25th.

Weather alternate, March 31st

That's Sunday 25th or Saturday 31st? Was that intentional - or was it intended to be both Sundays or both Saturdays?

Genghis the Engineer
28th Dec 2011, 19:23
Intentional, the 24th is still in UTC, the 25th takes us into BST.

G

GeeWhizz
28th Dec 2011, 19:49
Good job Big G! :ok:

With all of that list turning up the 'grassies' had better get there early or we'll all be parked on it! Only joking looking forward to it to be honest.

I have 2 seats available.

Airfields that I'd happily collect from are:

Conington
Cambridge
Fenland
Old Buckenham
Sibson (already collecting Ds3(?))

.. then anywhere in the direction of SiE.

Happy New Year all!

thing
28th Dec 2011, 21:07
Taking a 152 from Lincoln if anyone is interested. Max weight 14 stone wet.

Keef
28th Dec 2011, 21:20
May be able to make this! Not got Sunday rotas that far out yet, and Sherbert is a long way in a D119, but I'm game!

Which means it'll probably rain frogs and toads that day :(

peterh337
28th Dec 2011, 21:21
Max weight 14 stone wet

You didn't really mean to write that ;)

Jan Olieslagers
28th Dec 2011, 21:27
Max weight 14 stone wet.
Anyone wanting to work towards level 7 English Language Proficiency Certification might find this forum an excellent training ground.

thing
28th Dec 2011, 21:43
Ah sorry Jan, forgot we have continental friends. It means 14 stone with clothing to be worn on the day and camera bags etc. Just a colloquialism from the part of the country I was raised.

patowalker
29th Dec 2011, 08:02
Anyone wanting to work towards level 7 English Language Proficiency Certification might find this forum an excellent training ground.

It took more than ELP to work out that aquaplane meant seaplane, instead of something tyres do in the wet. :)

Genghis the Engineer
29th Dec 2011, 08:27
1 stone = 14 lbf = 6.35kg

It's an old British unit of weight, even the USians have seldom heard of it. But the British almost always describe their weight in stone, or stone and pounds.

G

Jan Olieslagers
29th Dec 2011, 08:57
@patowalker: I had hesitated to use "seaplane", but actually the Biscarrosse meeting is not on the sea, it is on a lake - and "lakeplane" might be puzzling, too! Will try to remember "hydroplane" for the next occasion.

@all: the "stone" was clear enough, though I had to search for the conversion factor; the "wet" was a bit more of a puzzle, but I could manage!

Ds3
29th Dec 2011, 09:15
Sibson (already collecting Ds3(?))

Yep pencil me in for that. I'll happily to drive to Fenland if it's more convenient, but you did say you'd been meaning to visit Sibson for a while! ;)

DX Wombat
29th Dec 2011, 10:48
If you go to Biscarosse you may well see this lovely Cessna there.
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1069/1186113751_6da9766341_m.jpg

NYCSavage
30th Dec 2011, 15:02
My CFI has asked me to arrange one here in Blackpool. I suppose this is a bit too far north for your needs?

Reasonable landing fees, fully licensed bar, cafe facilities etc

I look forward to your reply

Genghis the Engineer
30th Dec 2011, 15:09
My CFI has asked me to arrange one here in Blackpool. I suppose this is a bit too far north for your needs?

Reasonable landing fees, fully licensed bar, cafe facilities etc

I look forward to your reply

I suggest starting another thread. No reason not to organise a fly-in at Blackpool, well apart from it being Blackpool anyhow - but probably not on this thread.

G

NYCSavage
30th Dec 2011, 15:11
Was actually talking about a fly-in lol

Genghis the Engineer
30th Dec 2011, 15:15
Right, quick announcement.

Thanks to the efforts of two Sherburn based Ppruners, Sherburn have agreed to waive landing fees so long as they have an advance list of people attending.

So, given that and to allow for a bit of co-ordination, could anybody captaining an aircraft into Sherburn for the fly-in please PM me:

(1) Aircraft reg/callsign and point of departure
(2) Captain's (real) name
(3) PoB / PPrune usernames on board
(4) Likely fuel requirements at Sherburn.

I'll then collate a list, and if people could let me have an email address as well, I'll email it out to everybody a few days before together with my contact numbers. I'm also happy to check weather and email out a go/no-go email the night before.

G

Janu
2nd Jan 2012, 01:11
Any spare seats available from EGCB/Barton? PMs appreciated. :)

peterh337
2nd Jan 2012, 08:39
Why waive landing fees?

It's only a tenner or so?

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jan 2012, 15:57
Why waive landing fees?

It's only a tenner or so?

So far as I know, when the airfield heard we were planning this, they very kindly offered. Would be a little discourteous to decline - but we could always organise an appropriate charity collection if people feel it's appropriate.

In the meantime, as of 1700Z on Monday 2nd, we have 7 aircraft with 13PoB.

G

fwjc
2nd Jan 2012, 16:05
For some people flying is a treat they choice by scraping the last few pennies they have together. A kind offer of a free landing fee is not to sniff at. That £10 gives me another 20 minutes worth of fuel. If I am able to make the fly-in, I would be very grateful and appreciative of the waiver. Thanks Sherburn, I heard you were a good place to come, now there's more of an excuse to make the trip.

Ps Ghengis and others, thanks for going to the trouble of organising this!

BackPacker
4th Jan 2012, 14:48
Me & Katamarino are making tentative plans to fly from EHRD with one of the clubs Robins. We do need reasonable weather though for the North Sea crossing. End of March... Fingers crossed!

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jan 2012, 15:06
Me & Katamarino are making tentative plans to fly from EHRD with one of the clubs Robins. We do need reasonable weather though for the North Sea crossing. End of March... Fingers crossed!

Could you drop me a PM with details whenever it's convenient.

G

BackPacker
4th Jan 2012, 16:07
PM sent.

(pad, pad, pad)

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jan 2012, 16:48
And received.

We currently sit at 10 aircraft, of four national registrations and 9 aircraft types, with 16 PoB and 490 litres of likely fuel sales for Sherburn.

And it's still only January 4th!

G

S-Works
4th Jan 2012, 17:43
Do Sherburn have Jet A1? I may come.

Lagentium
4th Jan 2012, 19:26
Bose-x, yes sir they do, I'd give them a buzz beforehand though, as I'm sure you would do anyway!

Jim

Katamarino
4th Jan 2012, 20:41
We do need reasonable weather though for the North Sea crossing.

Nah, we just need 100ft cloud-base or so and we'll avoid any shipping by 500ft horizontally ;)

BackPacker
4th Jan 2012, 20:54
That's the spirit!

4_blues
16th Jan 2012, 07:13
Is there a revised list of numbers or who or may not be hoping to attend?

4B

peterh337
16th Jan 2012, 08:21
here (http://www.doodle.com/pvw8rfueyp7zr427)
(padding for p p r u n e server)

McTall
18th Jan 2012, 21:04
I'll be there! Sounds like it will be a good day and will be my first fly-in. I'll be coming from liverpool so if anyone wants/needs a seat PM me. As it stands i have a spare.

Fake Sealion
20th Jan 2012, 08:32
I'm planning to be there.
Have just sent PM to GTE

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jan 2012, 11:08
And received.

The score now is: 15 aircraft, 23 PoB, and Sherburn can expect to sell about 500 litres of AvGas.

List of names so far...

Genghis the Engineer
fattony
Jofm5
Rod1
+1
Piper.Classique
VMC-on-top
+1?
Winhern
+1
Goodmand1
+1
NazgulAir
Maxred
+2
dublinpilot
BackPacker
Katamarino
4 Blues
+1
JimA_UK
Thing
McTall
Fake Sealion
+1

G

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jan 2012, 09:44
As of this morning, now 17 aircraft with 27 PoB.

Does anybody know if Sherburn have MOGAS? There are a couple of people who sound like they'd like to buy some if it's available.

G

Fake Sealion
24th Jan 2012, 10:03
Yes they have MOGAS according to website. They run a pair of AT-3s for training/self fly.

peterh337
24th Jan 2012, 11:20
What is the hard surface parking like?

I have been there but not for a long time.

Katamarino
24th Jan 2012, 11:30
It seemed good the last time I was there, although it wasn't very busy.

Fake Sealion
24th Jan 2012, 14:47
The hard surface parking area is a decent size but it in front of hangars and the fuel pumps. Best bet is to phone them to discuss what it is you need to know. Actually you can see it on the webcam right now on their home page:ok:

thing
24th Jan 2012, 14:56
I would imagine we'll be on the grass either side of the taxiway to the hangars, where the school aircraft park.

mrfacts
27th Jan 2012, 10:59
Hi,

Weather and parking permitting we (2PoB) would be flying in from Germany where G-JOBS is currently located. We would also require avgas.

Where do we sign up?

Thanks
Martin

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jan 2012, 12:14
Hi,

Weather and parking permitting we (2PoB) would be flying in from Germany where G-JOBS is currently located. We would also require avgas.

Where do we sign up?

Thanks
Martin

If you could send me a PM with the following

- Registration
- Type
- Captain's (real name)
- PPrune usernames and souls on board
- Departure aerodrome
- Likely fuel requirements
- Contact email address

That's it.

G

BackPacker
27th Jan 2012, 13:05
I just got a note that a certain Canadian pilot and well-respected PPRuNer, might be in Europe by that time. If things work out as planned, me & Katamarino will be giving him a lift to the bash.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jan 2012, 15:43
Well, confirmations as I come to the end of Friday afternoon are:

20 aircraft
of 15 types
from 4 countries
with 33 PoB
of whom 22 have PPrune usernames.

This promises to be quite a good get together!

The fuel sales for Sherburn currently estimate at 790 litres Avgas and 40 litres Mogas.

G

AerBabe
28th Jan 2012, 16:08
I'll have to check my packed social diary... but I think I can squeeze it in.
:O

biggles_152
6th Feb 2012, 00:16
Is anybody flying up from Sussex area? I'm a recent PPL looking to meet other pilots and planes!

Genghis the Engineer
10th Feb 2012, 11:14
Latest update - 21 aircraft, from 4 countries, with 37 POB, of whom 24 have Pprune usernames (25 if Grob Queen changes her mind again).

I'm wondering if I should get some stickers or badges done!

G

peterh337
10th Feb 2012, 15:21
Is there some sort of "social" planned for the day?

Genghis the Engineer
10th Feb 2012, 15:35
Not being planned by me at the moment, but if anybody wants to organise anything, I'm guessing that they'll be pushing at an open door.

G

cirrusdancer
11th Feb 2012, 10:39
At the moment Sherburn doesn't have Mogas so those who can't manage without it should check nearer the time to see if the situation has changed.
They (we) run the AT-3s on Avgas.
Other than that I'll try to get along to witness the event and hope you all enjoy Sherburn hospitality.

Winhern
11th Feb 2012, 19:55
It would definitely be worth having a badge something to help us find each other.
You could always email out a design for peeps to print off.

Captain-Random
12th Feb 2012, 13:52
There is very limited hard surface parking available but the grass area to the north of the designated grass a/c parking is in pretty good condition.

P.s seen as though I fly from Sherburn I may have to burn some holes in the sky before returning to sherburn to feel like one of the visitors. :)

matspart3
18th Feb 2012, 22:25
Only just seen this, too late as I'm already committed that day but I'd be happy to host the next one at Gloucester. Happy to waive landing fees on the basis of fuel uplift and should be able to rustle up some entertainment...

Genghis the Engineer
24th Feb 2012, 11:11
Latest as we come to the end of this week:

22 aircraft
38 PoB
790 litres Avgas 100LL requirement
40 litres Mogas request if available.

Ppruners expected:

Genghis the Engineer
fattony
Jofm5
Aerbabe
Rod1
Piper.Classique
VMC-on-top
Winhern
Goodmand1
NazgulAir
Maxred
dublinpilot
BackPacker
Katamarino
4 Blues
JimA_UK
Thing
McTall
Fake Sealion
Good Finish
BartonFlyer
Cusco
Mrfacts
Bingoboy
CessnaPete
Nouseforaname
PeterH337

G

Katamarino
25th Feb 2012, 13:02
Ghengis, can you update the first post with all the details for ease of reference? Firm date, location, any other important info?

dublinpilot
25th Feb 2012, 16:55
Can anyone recommond any local hotels/guest houses, for those of us who might consider making a weekend of it?

Lagentium
25th Feb 2012, 21:34
Dublinpilot there is an indoor ski slope leisure complex near within 10-15 minutes of Sherburn called Xscape, with bars and restaurants inside, York isn't that far either, my favourite place to eat is only 5 mins up the road the Rythre Arms, anyone reading this who know where I'm talking about will know what an amazing place to eat steak it is,haha!! If you do fancy staying overnight let me know and I can show you around, don't mind being a taxi for people who need a hand!!

Cheers, Jim:ok:

dublinpilot
26th Feb 2012, 10:33
Thanks Jim,

Much appreciated!

dp

Cusco
27th Feb 2012, 22:19
Sadly looks like I'm the first to scratch: A/c booked in for Annual and avionics upgrade on 24th March.

Nuvver time, eh?

Cusco

thing
28th Feb 2012, 15:06
If anyone is staying for an extended period may I suggest a trip to Breighton. It's about 5 minutes flight time from Sherburn and one of the finest GA airfields in the country. 800 metres grass if anyone was wondering. Take your camera, there are a/c there that are literally the only ones of their type in the world, including Alex Henshaw's still airworthy Miles Messenger.

Lagentium
28th Feb 2012, 16:57
Thing, I wholly agree with the call on going to Breighton, I was there Sunday and think its a lovely place, I like the self service fuel set up, think its top notch. Fiver landing fee to be put in the bomb mounted on the bar! Also a good article in Pilot magazine about the Real Aeroplane Club and Taffs world record attempt, well worth a visit.

thing
28th Feb 2012, 22:42
I was there on Sunday too! What were you flying? I got there about 1430 in a 152. Got some nice shots of the Magister, but I just missed a shot of the guy in the Extra beating up the airfield inverted.

The Maggie

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j355/thing56/Breighton/Maggysmall.jpg

1937 Dart Kitten

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j355/thing56/Breighton/Kitten.jpg

Lagentium
29th Feb 2012, 17:43
I arrived at 16:05 from Sturgate on a three legger from Sherburn in one of the clubs PA28s, the weather was starting to turn and the vis was deteriorating so it was only a brief stop, but I shall return there! Also Sturgate and Gamston I can heartily recommend for people travelling North, although you'd be nearly at Sherburn by then!!

Redbird72
1st Mar 2012, 16:12
Is there anyone attending with a spare seat from Essex/Nth Kent? I would love to attend but have recently lost my medical (hopefully temporarily, but unlikely to be fit by the bash date)?

Any takers would have the pleasure of my company, a share of costs and my charming radio manner....:O

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Mar 2012, 09:08
Latest update - a few changes.

Sherburn
25th March
Email going out the day before with a go/no-go decision. Backup date 31 March.

21 Aircraft
35 POB
Requiring 500 litres of AVGAS, and if available 70 litres of MOGAS

PPruners expected:

Genghis the Engineer
fattony
Jofm5
Aerbabe
Rod1
Piper.Classique
VMC-on-top
Winhern
Goodmand1
NazgulAir
Maxred
dublinpilot
BackPacker
Katamarino
4 Blues
JimA_UK
Thing
McTall
Fake Sealion
Good Finish
BartonFlyer
Bingoboy
CessnaPete
Nouseforaname
PeterH337
Avidian

G

Genghis the Engineer
19th Mar 2012, 15:30
Latest as we get to the start of the week:

21 aircraft
40 POB
Predicted fuel sales for Sherburn - 460 litres AVGAS, 70 litres MOGAS if available.

A few drop-outs, a few late additions.

PPrune usernames expected:

Genghis the Engineer
Fattony
Rod1
VMC-on-top
Winhern
Goodmand1
NazgulAir
Maxred
Dublinpilot
Fionn101
BackPacker
Katamarino
4 Blues
JimA_UK
Thing
McTall
Fake Sealion
Good Finish
BartonFlyer
Bingoboy
CessnaPete
Nouseforaname
PeterH337
Avidian
Bigears

It's much too early to have much trust in it, but the forecast for the end of the week looks pretty good at the moment.

G

Fionn101
20th Mar 2012, 23:03
Apologies for going tech so late in the day but due to work I will be unable to make this weekend.

I look forward to meeting you all in person at the summer bash,

Have a Great day , Safe Flying,

Rgds,
Fionn

Genghis the Engineer
21st Mar 2012, 07:47
Can any of the Sherburn locals just volunteer to check that the airfield is still expecting us, whether the free landing fee still stands, and to pass them the list of arrivals just before we all turn up?

G

BackPacker
21st Mar 2012, 08:26
G, will you be PMing the rest of us a full list of attendees with cellphone numbers if appropriate? Or, at the very least, your personal contact details just in case someone can't make it after all?

Weather still looks good. What are the approximate times people will be arriving and departing? Katamarino and me are currently planning a 9.30 LT (8.30Z) departure, to arrive around 10.30Z. I think we've got the plane till 18.00 local, so we need to get back no later than 15.00Z.

And I assume that despite the list, we still have to call Sherburn to get PPR?

(And for anybody else arriving from the continent: Note that Norwich now has a CTR which has been activated by NOTAM but might not be on the charts yet.)

Genghis the Engineer
21st Mar 2012, 08:55
I'll be emailing (not PMing) everybody the evening before with GO/NO-GO, list of attendees, and my mobile number as an emergency contact.

My understanding was that Sherburn are happy to have us all so long as they have this list, but am just looking to any of the locals who have already been good enough to talk to the airfield to confirm that.

I only know of one planning to arrive the day before and they are quite experienced enough to form a reliable judgment of whether the rest of us are likely to turn up on Sunday.

I think that setting arrival times/slots is just creating work! There are "only" 22 Captains, and I'm sure we're all quite grown up enough to arrive with fuel in hand, having properly briefed ourselves on the local procedures, and are able to hold off or space out a bit if there are a lot of aircraft arriving at the same time.

Personally I've had to switch aircraft due to an unserviceability, but am planning to depart EGTC about 1030 and be wheels-on at EGCJ about 1145. I do have a spare seat from Cranfield if anybody's local and wants to jump in the back (and none of my facebook chums grab it first).

G

Katamarino
21st Mar 2012, 09:21
Don't worry Backpacker; I've booked the airplane until 20:30 (sunset) so we don't need to rush off too early!

BackPacker
21st Mar 2012, 09:43
Darn. I just realized that we're going to DST this coming weekend.

So our 9.30L departure is 7.30Z, and our 10.30L arrival is 9.30Z.

How many timezones can dance in one airplane at the same time?

NazgulAir
21st Mar 2012, 11:13
Unfortunately, I won't be able to take the plane to Sherburn this Sunday. I'll try to thumb a ride with Backpacker and Katamarino, or else I won't be able to come.

Mariner9
21st Mar 2012, 12:02
Now hoping to make it up from Margham in my Pioneer 300, no fuel required.

Genghis - pm sent with contact details.

NazgulAir
21st Mar 2012, 15:30
I'll be coming after all, albeit without the Nazgul flagship.
Special thanks to Backpacker and Katamarino!

Katamarino
21st Mar 2012, 16:19
We aim to please!

BackPacker
21st Mar 2012, 17:11
...and we now know who's responsible for the in-flight catering!;)

Panhandler1
22nd Mar 2012, 13:40
Hello everyone
I'm part of the Sherburn Events team, and can confirm that we are expecting you all on Sunday - weather is looking good!

We have plenty of Avgas and JetA1, the cafe are on standby, and we have set aside an area for you to park in. I'll be around all day to do a little light marshalling (we've only got about 30 acres parking in mind for you - lol!), and to act as a contact / welcomer etc. but there will be plenty of others around too.

Could I ask for a list of the aircraft type, callsigns, PoB, fuel requirements etc? This can then be your PPR, although a call for a weather check etc will always be welcome. No worries about changes - but it will be a guideline for us - and will allow us to make sure that you all get the free landing!

Customs etc can be arranged too if required - just call the flightdesk at the club direct.

Our circuit can be quite busy on a decent weather day, so don't worry about slot times - we'll just see you all when you get here!

Check the weather, webcams, circuit pattern etc, on the website if it helps.

We look forward to welcoming you on Sunday

Fly safe
Paul Regan
Sherburn Aero Club

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Mar 2012, 17:07
Paul,

Thanks very much on behalf of all of us.

I just replied to your PM and will email you the attendees list.

Look forward, weather permitting (which it looks like it will) to seeing everybody on Sunday.

G

Panhandler1
23rd Mar 2012, 00:20
Just a point I missed earlier - sorry, Sherburn has not had Mogas for quite a while now, but today we have had our first delivery of UL91 which is now available from the club as a replacement for Mogas, so we should be able to meet all your needs.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

Paul Regan
Sherburn Aero Club

Mariner9
23rd Mar 2012, 17:03
Unfortunately won't make it now on Sunday, urgent business trip to Durban has intervened :ugh:

peterh337
24th Mar 2012, 16:30
I was going to fly up tonight but it has been solidly fogged in so I cancelled.

Now it looks like it is just beginning to begin to clear, with Doncaster reporting 2k vis which means you might just about find the runway from short final :)

Tomorrow's weather looks same as today's.

Fake Sealion
24th Mar 2012, 16:36
Genghis....you mentioned some time back you would send an eve of event email to all "participants" - did you send anything?

Wx in North Yorkshire today wasn't too good - very poor viz till 1300ish when the sun appeared and it became a sort of glowing poor viz.

Lets hope it improves tomorrow.

dublinpilot
24th Mar 2012, 17:27
I too had planned to arrive today. I was hoping to arrive this morning and kept delaying hoping the fog would clearly, which it didn't. It just wasn't possible for me to make it today with the fog/visibility.

thing
24th Mar 2012, 18:01
Was up in Yorks today (driving), just got back to Lincoln, vis appaling all day.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Mar 2012, 18:58
Looking at the Met, plus local opinion, I think that we had best go for the backup date next Saturday. The visibility looks likely to be truly crap until mid afternoon.

Email going out now.

G

dublinpilot
24th Mar 2012, 19:34
Thanks Genghis.

Here's to hoping that the clouds keep at bay for next weekend, but that the visibility clears up!

peterh337
24th Mar 2012, 19:37
I can't do next Saturday.

Katamarino
24th Mar 2012, 20:56
How disappointing, given the unseasonably good weather! You can remove Backpacker and I from the list, I know neither of us can make it next weekend.

peterh337
24th Mar 2012, 21:27
Sherburn's geography doesn't help with the fog, I gather.

The south coast has been a lot better though still hazy.

peterh337
25th Mar 2012, 07:24
Looking at the wx you might need a new backup date :)

Genghis the Engineer
25th Mar 2012, 08:14
Looking at the wx you might need a new backup date :)

I don't think that anybody in their right mind would trust a forecast more than 120 hours ahead!

In the meantime, looks like it was the right call:

EGNM 250750Z VRB02KT 0200 R14/0225 FG VV/// 06/06 Q1034

EGNM 250459Z 2506/2606 10004KT 0100 FG VV/// PROB40 TEMPO 2506/2508 1200 BCFG SCT000 BECMG 2508/2511 2000 BR NSC BECMG 2511/2514 CAVOK PROB30 2514/2518 8000 BECMG 2518/2521 7000 BECMG 2521/2524 3000 BR PROB40 2600/2606 0300 FG BKN000

G

BackPacker
25th Mar 2012, 08:41
Pretty gloomy here in the Netherlands as well. Two hours past our scheduled departure time and things seem to be lifting very slowly. OVC006 at the moment.

thing
25th Mar 2012, 10:51
Have to say here in Lincolnium this morning that it's perfectly flyable. EGXW Waddington Current Aviation Weather Conditions and Forecasts (http://www.checkwx.com/wxmain/code/EGXW) Even caught our CFI out who effectively cancelled his lessons for today. Sod's Law. Count me in for next Sat.

dublinpilot
25th Mar 2012, 15:23
Yes, but what time of the day did it become good enough? I for one would not have made it today until evening time, and as a result wouldn't have come. No point in arriving over and having to leave an hour later!

peterh337
25th Mar 2012, 17:19
The alternate of Doncaster was doable Sat night if you had an IMCR or an IR, but for about £80 for the landing, plus parking, plus maybe £30-40 for the taxi each way.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Mar 2012, 18:14
The alternate of Doncaster was doable Sat night if you had an IMCR or an IR, but for about £80 for the landing, plus parking, plus maybe £30-40 for the taxi each way.

Not exactly weekend leisure flying, even for those with the capability.

G

Genghis the Engineer
25th Mar 2012, 18:21
Anyhow, plan "B".

Anybody who hasn't already, could you please PM me with additions / substractions / plan changes, and I'll update the list.

Friday afternoon I'll check the met, an email out a GO/NO-GO. If it's a no-go, I'll set up a new Doodle poll for alternative dates.

G

Genghis the Engineer
30th Mar 2012, 10:00
All looking quite promising at the moment - I'll wait until the new Met Office model run this afternoon to see the revised forecast for tomorrow and hopefully be sending a "GO" email out about 3pm.

G

Genghis the Engineer
30th Mar 2012, 16:49
We're on everybody.

Email sent, see you all at Sherburn.

G

Winhern
30th Mar 2012, 17:33
Hi Genghis

Not received the email yet :(
Any chance of summarising the forecast - the met office website apears to be down!

W

Winhern
30th Mar 2012, 17:54
Have the email :)
One out of two can't be bad!

BackPacker
30th Mar 2012, 20:26
I just got the e-mail but there's been some misunderstanding. The backup date was never an option for me or Katamarino. So despite being on the list, we won't be there tomorrow.

Nevertheless, I hope you all have a nice bash, and we'll try to be there next time!

dublinpilot
31st Mar 2012, 18:57
Thank you Genghis for going to the effort of organising the flyin. :D

It was great to be able to meet the gang!

Let's hope it's not another 8 years until the next Pprune Private Flying flyin!

dp

thing
31st Mar 2012, 19:15
And well done you two for flying in from Dublin! What time did you get back?

Another :D for Gheng.

Genghis the Engineer
31st Mar 2012, 20:19
I didn't do much, but thank you (especially from the Irish chaps for the very kind bottle of Irish nectar!)

I have the list here, and think we had along 8 aeroplanes, I *think* that the attendees list was:

- Genghis (+!)
- VMC-on-top (+1)
- Goodmand1 (+1)
- DublinPilot (+1)
- JimA_UK (+1)
- Thing (+1)
- Fake Sealion (+1)
- MoreOil

And aircraft types:

- C172 (x2)
- PA28 (x2)
- C152
- Eurostar
- Yak-52
- BanBi

I did take a few photographs, but then managed to leave my camera back at the flying club so will have to retrieve it and post them in a day or two.

Great get-together everybody, and especially many thanks to Sherburn for their fantastic opportunity. We really couldn't have been made more welcome.

G

dublinpilot
31st Mar 2012, 21:31
(especially from the Irish chaps for the very kind bottle of Irish nectar
You're most welcome. I hope you enjoy it ;)

And well done you two for flying in from Dublin! What time did you get back?

Thanks ;) We landed back in Weston just after 6pm local time, with a flight time of exactly 1:30.

Weather was fabulous coming back ;)

Some pics from the trip back:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2986/20120331175937v.jpg

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/2744/20120331175904.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8139/20120331173940.jpg

dp

loaded as a dice
1st Apr 2012, 10:02
What did everyone think of the club ?

Genghis the Engineer
1st Apr 2012, 10:16
What did everyone think of the club ?

I didn't see enough to get any opinion of the aeroplanes and instructors - but in terms of the airfield, friendliness, clubhouse, and visiting pilots facilities: personally I thought it was excellent. The sort of place where, if I lived nearer, I could waste a lot of my spare time!

G

loaded as a dice
1st Apr 2012, 11:55
Genghis The Engineer, thanks for the reply, thats what i was hoping to hear as its my club.

VMC-on-top
1st Apr 2012, 21:28
Thanks for me too, Genghis! Its the second or third time I've been to Sherburn and enjoy going there. Good food and a nice busy airfield!

Perhaps for our next fly-in, we combine with something like this?

THE GREAT NORTH FLY IN 2012 - HOME (http://www.greatnorthflyin.co.uk/index.html)

Although, I appreciate its almost another hour further North, but a great atmosphere, beer tent, camping on site, some interesting aircraft in and out etc. etc. ?

thing
1st Apr 2012, 21:32
Worth going I think just for the splendidly named Storm Smith. By the way isn't Eshott the most northerly airfield in England on the half mil?

Mariner9
2nd Apr 2012, 09:59
Perhaps for our next fly-in, we combine with something like this?

THE GREAT NORTH FLY IN 2012 - HOME

Looks good, but why no date on the website?

Fake Sealion
2nd Apr 2012, 10:21
Just to add my thanks to G The E for kicking this off.

Good to spend a couple of hours meeting some fellow Ppruners and talking (mainly) about flying.Picked up some good ideas for new places to fly into.

I had to leave at 2.45ish to return the hire-o-plane but judging from the accents at the flight desk as I signed out- one of the Irish crews had just arrived - sorry I had no time to stay and say hello.

How about another get together say...mid September?

VMC-on-top
2nd Apr 2012, 10:30
Looks good, but why no date on the website?

No idea but its the weekend of 30th June.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Apr 2012, 13:10
I got my camera back!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525183_389930907692619_100000271394563_1471418_95185262_n.jp g

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/398188_389930961025947_100000271394563_1471419_14115035_n.jp g

I'll leave members to decide whether to identify themselves or not.

G

peterh337
2nd Apr 2012, 14:57
I can identify a couple :)

But I have to ask why the get-together wasn't a lot bigger...

Katamarino
2nd Apr 2012, 15:00
I think I know where the "middle-aged/retired man" pilot stereotype is coming from. :E

dublinpilot
2nd Apr 2012, 15:21
I'll leave members to decide whether to identify themselves or not.

Well that's me in the second image, on the bottom left, closest to the camera, looking away from the camera. Well it's the back/side of my head!

But I have to ask why the get-together wasn't a lot bigger...
Well only those who didn't turn up can answer that ;)

I suppose a backup date will always have a smaller turnout than the preferred date.

I'm pretty sure that I was the only person to make the last two private flying flyins, the previous one being organised by FlyingForFun in around 2004 or 2005 in Blackpool :)

dp

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Apr 2012, 15:25
I think I know where the "middle-aged/retired man" pilot stereotype is coming from. :E

Yes, I got a bit of that.

I've been flying 22 years, yet was the youngest person there I reckon until DublinPilot and friend turned up from Weston.

What happened to the enthusiastic young air-minded people we used to hear about. Surely I wasn't the last one?

G

Grob Queen
2nd Apr 2012, 15:58
Oh well, Genghis, now you've thrown down the gauntlet, I will bring the average age down and fly the flag for the female ppruners, will put differences aside and just try and twist Thing's arm again to give me a RHS for the next Pprune fly-in...that is of course if I can't come under my own wings by then ;)

GQ

Ds3
2nd Apr 2012, 16:31
What happened to the enthusiastic young air-minded people we used to hear about. Surely I wasn't the last one?

Nope - I'm not sure I fit in to the 'young' category anymore but looking at that pic I should at least reduce the average age a little!

Couldn't make it to this one in the end as I was flying back from Africa Saturday morning (not under my own steam, on an A300 which got quite intimate with the Gatwick runway on landing!)

Should have my PPL pretty soon so hopefully will be able to make the next one.

riverrock83
2nd Apr 2012, 16:32
I'm never quite sure whether "late twenties" counts as young... I guess depends on who I'm around, but if it takes as long to organise another one I'll hopefully be able to come under my own steam too!

Unfortunately I wasn't available on the preferred weekend this time and its a bit far to do a solo nav from Scotland down before getting my licence. I somehow thought my instructor wouldn't sign it off... Dumfries looked nice from 3000' though!

thing
2nd Apr 2012, 16:39
Me in leather jacket. I must admit I thought Gheng would be a crusty old guy with maps stuffed down his boots and a big wristwatch. I wasn't expecting a young 'un.

taybird
2nd Apr 2012, 16:43
Originally Posted by Katamarino
I think I know where the "middle-aged/retired man" pilot stereotype is coming from.

Can't think where you were coming from with that one!

Maybe it's because the middle-aged/retired man has enough ready cash and time to be able to pursue such adventures, while the young ones both male and female are still too poor, and the middle-aged/retiried women pilots are a rare breed.

I would like to have been able to make it, but aeroplane is u/s and I was also committed to training on the Saturday.

I'd be interested in a more Midlands based one - how about Tatenhill, Derby or Leicester?

Winhern
2nd Apr 2012, 16:57
#Peter
As one of the 12 who pulled out on the day, I am a newbie pilot with 25 hours P1. I was planning on flying up with my 10 year old daughter. The metars were reporting a cloudbase of 1500' to 1800' through the cold front, and the Sherburn website was reporting a cloudbase of ~1300' at the time I was due to set off. Whilst Genghis later reported that he was able to stay above 2000' on the trip up, I decided the cloud base was below my minima & stayed at home.

Hopefully I will make the next one.

Good to hear that Sherburn is a great destination, and that things went well. My folks live quite close to Sherburn, so I hope to make Sherburn after Easter.

W

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Apr 2012, 14:16
Oh well, Genghis, now you've thrown down the gauntlet, I will bring the average age down and fly the flag for the female ppruners, will put differences aside and just try and twist Thing's arm again to give me a RHS for the next Pprune fly-in...that is of course if I can't come under my own wings by then ;)

GQ

Darned right - aviation should not be exclusively the domain of the white, male, and middle aged. But, it does seem that way far too often.

As one of the 12 who pulled out on the day, I am a newbie pilot with 25 hours P1. I was planning on flying up with my 10 year old daughter. The metars were reporting a cloudbase of 1500' to 1800' through the cold front, and the Sherburn website was reporting a cloudbase of ~1300' at the time I was due to set off. Whilst Genghis later reported that he was able to stay above 2000' on the trip up, I decided the cloud base was below my minima & stayed at home.

I can only apologise that I didn't NB when you texted me that you were going from EGTC as I was using an F172 with only a single pax and could have fitted you, and probably another passenger, in without any trouble at-all.

Me in leather jacket. I must admit I thought Gheng would be a crusty old guy with maps stuffed down his boots and a big wristwatch. I wasn't expecting a young 'un.
I showed this post to my wife yesterday. She hasn't stopped laughing yet.

Anyhow - next one at the end of Summer?

G

maxred
3rd Apr 2012, 14:53
Apologies fro not making the 'alternate'. Well that photo could have been taken at any flying club, on any day, anywhere:sad:

Peter, last time I was at Shoreham, I reckoned I was the youngest there, and I am mid fifties. It was like a scene from Cocoon.

Our AGM was mid week, and guess what - the topic was actually raised about middle aged men, and where have all the young uns gone. There then proceeded an, at times, excrutiating conversation about how to 'win em back':hmm:Oh dear

Bigears
3rd Apr 2012, 15:30
My reason for not being there was that I'd been travelling all week, back late Friday evening, usual flying companion not available that day (so both legs would have to be flown by me) and I have around 100hrs total time. I could see the holes in the Swiss Cheese appearing and made the decision not to travel. Better late in this world than early in the next :ooh:
Hope to meet the young lady pilots (who also didn't make it this time) at the next fly-in :E

peterh337
3rd Apr 2012, 15:35
Peter, last time I was at Shoreham, I reckoned I was the youngest there, and I am mid fifties. It was like a scene from Cocoon.If that was for me, it made me smile :)

It is how GA is everywhere in the UK. Shoreham perhaps more than some because of the vintage pedigree of the place.

If you had a place to fly from which had more women then the average age would drop dramatically. But "modern men" with adequate funding are too busy making the money while spending their spare time hanging out where there is a good social scene, and good "potential" ;)

Attract the "BMW Z4 crowd" and you have it cracked... (notwithstanding that flying instructors tend to hate anybody climbing out of a Z4 especially if accompanied by a bottle blonde bird :E ).

A summer fly-in is a great idea.

maxred
3rd Apr 2012, 16:00
I am glad it made you smile, it was total blue rinse brigade. I loved it, and we even had our reg up on the departure screen - great.

Yes, women, fast cars, and aeroplanes, mmmmm, only place I saw that recently was at White Waltham, male age range in the upper quartiles, however, some decent looking women floating around.

Some sporty cars in the car park. Some airfields in Scotland would not know what a women looked like:confused:

Piper.Classique
3rd Apr 2012, 18:17
Sorry, but the backup date was never an option for this retired female....

Grob Queen
3rd Apr 2012, 20:07
notwithstanding that flying instructors tend to hate anybody
climbing out of a Z4 ).

Peter, you ought to see the fleet of vehicles my instructor has then!! ;)

If i had my own wings, I would say I would definitely be there at the end of the summer....but as I don't think i'll have my licence by then... :{

Winhern
3rd Apr 2012, 21:01
No probs Genghis, would be a bit much to expect you to remember where we were all flying in from. Hopefully I'll get there next time, with an imcr in my licence too.

dublinpilot
15th Aug 2012, 12:56
Without having to reread this whole thread wasn't there talk of a second one in September?

Is there interest in a second one this year?

I'd be on for it, assuming date/weather was ok.

peterh337
15th Aug 2012, 14:08
Late Sep for me, perhaps.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Aug 2012, 14:19
I could do early October.

G

taybird
15th Aug 2012, 18:38
What about the LAA Rally? There must be Prooners going there.

Jan Olieslagers
15th Aug 2012, 19:05
new thread?