PDA

View Full Version : Examiner Testing Own Students

Needles Crossed
6th Dec 2011, 20:08
Extract from the Flight Examiner Manual:

"Examiners shall not test applicants to whom flight instruction has been given by them for that licence or rating except with the express consent in writing of the Authority"

To the best of my knowledge this only applies to tests for initial issue of a licence or rating and not for revalidations or renewals (and therefore an examiner can renew an expired SEP rating of an ex student of his). However, the statement is not clear at all! Can anyone shed some light on the possible location of a clearer statement?

blagger
6th Dec 2011, 20:25
Yes read the next para in the Flight Examiners Manual! It makes it quite clear that doesn't apply to national licences and ratings nor refresher training before reval or renewal of a JAA rating.

Needles Crossed
6th Dec 2011, 20:38
still can't find it :(

My manual (just downloaded from the JAA website) goes on to talk about integrated courses just after that statement! Seems to me that something is missing!

blagger
6th Dec 2011, 21:08
CAA Examiners Manual not the generic JAA one

scottiedogg
13th Dec 2011, 13:50
For JAR Licence training/application you cannot test your own student without specific written permission from the CAA - the CAA will normally only allow this permission if you have flown with the student on one or two occassions maximum for the purpose of a "currency check" or "progress check" not for specific flight training. Occassionally the CAA allows permission for examiners to test their own students for the grant of a JAR PPL if the school/student is located in an area that is very low on examiners and where another examiner is not readily available.

For National Licences the Examiner can test their own students, however for both NPPL and IMC it is worded in Lasors and/or the FE handbook (I don't have the FE handbook to hand for a reference or exact quote) that the examiner should consider how much flying they have done with that student and whether it is suitable to test the applicant.

Both of these bits of legislation is for training for the gain of a licence, and therefore an examiner can test a previous student for the purpose of a SEP renewal/reval or for a subsequent rating e.g. an IMC rating as long as the above restrictions are met etc (however once again the examiner should take into account how much flying they have done with the applicant/candidate)

All the information you need is in LASORS, the Flight Examiner Handbook and the relevant CAA Standards Docs for the licence or rating course you are instructing/examining. If you are still unsure speak to another examiner higher up the pecking order than yourself or phone the CAA, however phoning the CAA directly will normally just mean you will just be reference backed to LASORS or the FE handbook.

Best Wishes
Scott

BillieBob
13th Dec 2011, 15:39
All the information you need is in LASORS, the Flight Examiner Handbook and the relevant CAA Standards Docs for the licence or rating course you are instructing/examining.This will remain the case until 1 July 2012 after which an examiner may not, under any circumstances, test any applicant to whom he has provided flight instruction for the licence or rating - the national Authority will no longer have the ability to make any exceptions. This will, as now, apply to skill tests and certificates of competence but not to proficiency checks

L'aviateur
15th Dec 2011, 16:44
Sorry if I misunderstood, so does that include revalidation skills tests BillieBob? Or will they remain seperate?

Whopity
15th Dec 2011, 17:01
Under EASA a revalidation will be by Proficiency Check not a Skills Test! FCL.010"Proficiency Check" means the demonstration of skill to revalidate or renew ratings and including such oral examination as may be required