PDA

View Full Version : Captain's seat?

Tor
1st Dec 2000, 05:08
Anyone got a good explanation as why the captain's seat is the left in fixedwing and the right in helicopters?

The Boy Lard
1st Dec 2000, 16:56
Tor,

I dont know about helicopters but as far as fixed wing are concerned I am led to believe it harks back to maritime origins.

Apparently a ships captain always sits on the left of the bridge so ships passing port to port can see each other.

Of course I stand to be corrected.

TBL

------------------
Flying is fun, not funny

pax domina
1st Dec 2000, 17:19
The irony being that in the automobiles of most registered forum users, the driver's seat is the RHS, and the vehicles pass starboard to starboard.

[This message has been edited by pax domina (edited 01 December 2000).]

Tor
1st Dec 2000, 19:33
I figured it was something with old roots. The expression starboard also stemmes from the helmsman was i the right side, AFAIK.

That is what makes me wonder about the helicopters. Perhaps a heli-pilot knows?

fantum farter
1st Dec 2000, 21:05
Tor,
I think TBL is right.I recall one of my captains talking about it the other day.

As for helicopters I believe one Igor Sikorsky was left handed so he moved to the right seat to improve his control of the heli with that funny handbrake thing (cyclic/collective)
Maybe someone who actually flies them has got other ideas :d

------------------
PFFFFFFSSSSST !!!

jjj
3rd Dec 2000, 10:37
Has been discussed before

<A HREF="http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/000542.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/000542.html</A>

Goldie
4th Dec 2000, 03:09
Tor , Talking of old Roots?

BJBATMAN
9th Dec 2000, 03:26
I was always told that when Igor Sikorsky built his first helicopter that the tailrotor was on the right side and he had better visibility when clearing the tail from obstacles. I know on current Sikorsky aircraft the tail rotor is on the right side.

Luftwaffle
9th Dec 2000, 03:30
The way I heard it is that Igor Sikorsky flew from the left, same as airplanes, but he didn't change seats when he taught others to fly, so his students learned to fly from the right hand seat, and stayed there.

Which side is the fire extinguisher on?