PDA

View Full Version : PPL

fmardani
10th Dec 2001, 21:05
Hi everyone,
I am in the process of getting the PPL(A). The exams left are Navigation and the RT oral. Average marks 95%. I have not done any flying hours yet except the two hour introductory lessons so far.
Should I start thinking about getting into the flying or should I finish the exams first. I was told that it is cheaper to get the hours done abroad, i.e. states rather than here. Is this true?
Thankyou for your time

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: Farshad ]

Gaza
11th Dec 2001, 00:33
Flying in the US is much cheaper than in the UK. Get a copy of Pilot or Flyer from your local newsagent and look at the adverts in the back. There are two ways to do it:-

1. Get your FAA PPL and convert it to a CAA when you return
2. Find a school offering CAA/JAA licenses

I would not attempt the RT oral until you have some practical experience of "real" RT. It would also be wise to combine your Nav practical and theory. It will make it easier to understand.

A word of warning about flying in the US. The RT and procedures are very different from the UK. Once you have completed your course it would be adviseable to do some conversion training on your return to the UK. The Americans are far more accomodating of light VFR traffic that the UK authorities so its easy to develop expecations that will probably land you in court!

I have flown light singles in various parts of the US. I have been allowed to do things that would have the UK CAA in fits. Some very memorable flights included:-

San Fransisco - Overhead Alcatraz, Climb to cross the Golden Gate Bridge, turn left, drop down to 500 agl to follow the shore, fly below the departing flight path of SFO. All with the blessing of ATC!

Florida - (1) Flying at 500 agl over the Shuttle landing facility at Kennedy Space Centre. (2) Following the shore at Miami above the arriving MIA traffic.

Arizona - Flying over the centre of Phoenix before crossing PHX mid-field!

Just try any of that at LHR or MAN!