PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical - What happens if they got the D.O.B. wrong on my PPL

hc89
2nd Dec 2011, 22:11
Lets say this is Hypothetical -

I month or two ago I became the proud owner of a PPL(H) only to show it off to my mother last week and have her to point out the D.O.B reads 1989 instead of 1988.

Does it need to be changed? Will I have to stop any further dual training until I receive a replacement? Will I have to pay? Etc...

Also, 1 last question that pains me to ask as someone somewhere will have asked it before but whenever I search for it I get the opposite answer - Can I get anyones opinions on what needs to be done to convert from PPL(H) to PPL(A).

Thanks

BigGrecian
2nd Dec 2011, 23:55
It definitely needs changing asap.

You need to call the CAA immediately - they are the only ones who can advise you on this.

mad_jock
2nd Dec 2011, 23:58
your book is illegal and any fights are also illegall

VJW
2nd Dec 2011, 23:58
You won't have to pay. You provided your original passport or a certified copy to get the licence, so it's their mistake.

Call 01293 573700 on Monday morning, and insist they fix it and send you the relevant page that evening. They'll do it as it's their mistake. You'll have it by Tuesday/Wednesday.

VJW
2nd Dec 2011, 23:59
MJ stop freaking him out!

mad_jock
2nd Dec 2011, 23:59
yes but your still illeagal to fly. insurance is knackard etc etc how is that
freaking someone out that fact they are wangin around un issured the wrong thing to do?

RTN11
3rd Dec 2011, 00:03
Phone the CAA on Monday, the number is on their website. As above, they will advise you of the implications while you sort it out.

As for getting a PPL(A), look in LASORS. You only get a 10 hour credit for a PPL(H) so would need to do a minimum of 25 hours dual, 10 hours solo and a skills test. You might get some credit on the theory, but would probably have to take at least the aircraft systems paper.

hc89
3rd Dec 2011, 00:58
I havn't flown since i took my skills test but was planning to on the 8th, I know what insurance companies are like. Will get it sorted then.

Thank VJW.

OK, so all I need to do again is :
Aircraft (General) & Principles of Flight
Flight Performance & Planning

I have 80 odd hours PPL(H), so 10% is 8 Hours, and i might have 100 hours before I finish doing my PPL (A)

"A maximum of 5 hours of these 45 hours may have been completed in a Basic Instrument Training Device" ( I presume this means a simulator)

So i work this out as 32 hours in the air Minimum

Minima:

a. 25 hours* Dual Instruction on aeroplanes

* Reduced to not less than 20 hours where an applicant
has been credited for Pilot-in-Command flight time on
other aircraft.

10 Hours Solo includes atleast 5 Hours Cross Country

Is everything I've worked out here correct?

I imagine doing a map crawl is more difficult in a fixed wing due to speed and visibility, doesn anyone else have both licences who can give their 2 cents?

Pace
3rd Dec 2011, 07:11
Mad Jock

You and I would be quite happy to have a few years shaved off our ages ;) Then we could flash our licences and claim a younger age.
Do you know whether we can change our age for the purpose of passports licences atc as you can with your name?
Dob is quite a clever identification code so if you were born 18/07/61 that gives you a identification code of 180761 add your initials say Mad Jock! MD and it becomes more unique.
In our Big Brother state knows all what has happened to the days when it was rude to ask a person their age?

As to whether a mistake like that would invalidate your licence? How many people drive cars with an old address still on their licence insurance have never NOT paid out with that! I read that 1 in 5 driving licences hold old data on them.

I have never heard of anyone being done for driving without a driving licence and insurance because they have changed address and havent got that change rectified with the DVLA yet?

Pace

24Carrot
3rd Dec 2011, 07:39
I imagine doing a map crawl is more difficult in a fixed wing due to speed and visibility, doesn anyone else have both licences who can give their 2 cents?

I would say the navigation part of the fixed-wing PPL is much easier.

For FW, my smallest waypoint was a disused airfield. Rotary, I was navigating to waypoints like a 30ft stone obelisk in the middle of a field. You don't have to use the 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey map for FW either.

It is harder to see stuff out ahead FW, but against that helicopter pilots are, IMHO, always far more concerned about what they are currently flying over, and so more likely to be looking.

Oh, and did I mention that if you take your hands off all the controls, the plane typically flies better than when you were messing with it?:ok:

Just my 2c, don't take the last bit too literally!:)

RTN11
3rd Dec 2011, 10:14
I have 80 odd hours PPL(H), so 10% is 8 Hours, and i might have 100 hours before I finish doing my PPL (A)

It actually says 10% of PIC time, so you may only be able to credit a few hours.

Basic Instrument Training Device" ( I presume this means a simulator)

It's referring to an FNPT2, which is a fixed base navigation trainer. A "simulator" would generally be full motion. These days, an FNPT2 is costing almost as much as flying an SEP aircraft. Maybe a saving of £20-£40 an hour.

As part of this training you would also have to complete the cross country qualifying flight, minimum of 150nm landing at 2 other airfields then returning to base and all completed in one day.

A and C
3rd Dec 2011, 10:28
I have never seen such an exagerated reaction to a typographical error, if you think that insurance company's could wriggle out of liability or the CAA could prosicute you for their mistake then think again..........no court in the land would have it.

I think you are just lucky to get such a small typo, I had the CAA post me someones Log Book and new IMC rating by mistake !

Jim59
3rd Dec 2011, 10:48
The ANO is interested in age for the duration of the validity of your medical certificate, to know if you are over the minimum age for what you want to do and if you are over the upper age for commercial flying. Otherwise there is no legal requirement for you to declare your age. So as long as you are not actually using a wrong age to violate a regulation there is no problem. Wise to get it corrected though.

Pull what
3rd Dec 2011, 11:19
As Whopity hasnt cut and pasted anything it must be legal.

BillieBob
3rd Dec 2011, 12:11
It's referring to an FNPT2, which is a fixed base navigation trainer.No, it isn't. A Basic Instrument Training Device (BITD) bears no resemblance whatever to a FNPT2. However, for the hours to count, the BITD must be qualified i.a.w. JAR-FSTD and there aren't too many of those around.

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2011, 12:48
I have had it before with a students license but they get round it by saying that its the persons duty to check all the info before signing it. So in theory if your DOB is wrong you you can't sign it so it won't be valid.

I signed the student out solo and the offending page turned up two days later.

I wouldn't hire an aircraft to someone i know as a typo error in there license. Its just not worth the risk which i will say is miniscul. I would be happy though to sign them out solo without charging the dual rate.

Oh and a do know a lorry driver that was given an extra 200 quid fine on top of the 3k fine for running with 4 axles over weight for not having updated his address because he didn't want to pay for a photo card.

Pull what
3rd Dec 2011, 14:06
I have had it before with a students license

Students with licences?

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2011, 14:21
Yep they continue to be students of mine until they don't want me any more.

And technically they don't become PPL's until they have a correct signed license in thier grubby hands.

2 sheds
3rd Dec 2011, 15:25
...or, even better, a licence!

2 s

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2011, 15:33
Yep most of them are better at spelling than me.

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2011, 16:56
Oh and a do know a lorry driver that was given an extra 200 quid fine on top of the 3k fine for running with 4 axles over weight for not having updated his address because he didn't want to pay for a photo card.

You mean the driving licence photograph renewal tax? Yet another Labour government way of extracting even more money from motorists!

The "new" photograph is never checked, nor does it need to be countersigned as a true likeness of the licence holder. So you could update the photo with an older one, or one of someone else. The very system that was supposed, in government eyes, to increase security (i.e. the driving licence now becomes a pseudo ID card), actually decreased security, because it introduced a loophole in itself.

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2011, 17:18
To be honest I think it was a Eurocrap directive thing and the old green ones didn't cut the mustard.

The last time i got ripped off getting the photo updated they used my Passport photo.

BackPacker
3rd Dec 2011, 18:13
Last time I renewed my license, they updated my address too, to the address of my neighbor, even though I indicated I hadn't moved. What was worse, they also sent the renewed license to this address.

One e-mail to PLD sorted things out in a few days. No charge, obviously.

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2011, 18:35
I know what you mean pace.

I have just had enough hassels over the years due to licenses and "policy"

Whenever I get a new one I go over it and make sure something hasn't been changed. In my experence its a 50% chance that it will be correct.

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2011, 20:07
To be honest I think it was a Eurocrap directive thing and the old green ones didn't cut the mustard.

But the old, non photo green licences don't have to be updated because it's only the photo that goes out of date (it says so on the documentation that comes with the renewal form). If you voluntarily updated to a photo licence (and paid for it) you now have to pay again to renew it after ten years because the photo apparently needs to be kept as per the more recent appearance of the holder. But no-one checks the likeness.

If you keep the old non-photo licence it never goes out of date and only needs renewing if the details on it change, or when you reach the age of 70.

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2011, 20:12
I know but I had to get one to get my address changed.

Also as well some car rentals places won't let you use the old green one.

hc89
5th Dec 2011, 05:22
Well, I havn't signed my licence yet for that exact reason - it's wrong. And I have yet to fly since my licence was issued, so no foul on my part.

Does it matter if I have a licence if I'm doing a dual R44 Type Rating booked in on Thurs and I don't get a replacement on time. (Which I doubt)

My school is very near Gatwick, would it speed things up if I went there in person?

mad_jock
5th Dec 2011, 07:44
You would get it on the spot. And its the luck of the draw if they made you get a "slot" to deal with you so turn up early. I would expect them to just quickly print it. Take your passport along just in case.

As for the Dual I don't know what Heli rules are but I can't see the problem with DUAL training or for that matter solo with an instructor signing you out there wouldn't be an issue with fixed wing.

hc89
5th Dec 2011, 08:06
Just called, it's their error so my licence is in fact valid (Once I sign it) =D , they are sending a replacement to my school ASAP

Thanks for all the advice from everyone

mad_jock
5th Dec 2011, 09:13
it just goes to show how clueless and dual standard they are on the desk.

Anyway it doesn't matter as your not flying pax until the new bit of paper turns up.

BTW for future reference never take any info that they give you by phone as correct. Unless they give you it in writing the conversation might as well not have taken place.

When my student had issues they said the license wasn't legal and they couldn't take pax up until they had the correct bit of paper signed. And that was a name correction from Mc to Mac.

S-Works
5th Dec 2011, 12:01
In the case where there has been a genuine error on the part of the CAA there is nothing illegal in using the licence until such time as the error is corrected. You have provided the correct information for licence issue and this will be on file. You are required to notify them off any errors or ommmissions and the CAA will rectify immediatly.

It would be a different case if for example they were to issue you with a rating that you were not entitled to as you would the be flying illegally knowingly.

I have seen the DOB error on a number of occassions on newly issued licences. Probably the same person with a bit of finger trouble. Without exception a phone call has resolved the issue in less the 48hrs and the CAA have confirmed the pilots in question are able to continue flying.

Now I just wish the could spell my town of birth correctly.....

avonflyer
5th Dec 2011, 13:07
The CAA managed to spell my name incorrectly on my licence - it wasn't util my medical the next year that I realised when the doctor couldn't find me (using the correct spelling) on the system. All it took was an email and they sent me a corrected document. For the CAA, unbelievably good service.

Whopity
6th Dec 2011, 20:45
I month or two ago I became the proud owner of a PPL(H) only to show it off to my mother last week and have her to point out the D.O.B reads 1989 instead of 1988.Spill some ink on it and nobody will ever know let alone care!