PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL Instructor hour while medically unfit

sherburn2LA
2nd Dec 2011, 21:01
So I have a small issue making me medically unfit. Since I am living abroad getting a CAA clearance has a few roadblocks. I do have 12+ hours in the last 12 months but no instructor hour. Can I while unfit fly with an instructor on my Xmas UK visit and get a fresh sign off for 2 years giving me that breathing space to get sorted out ?

Lots of questions to follow on 61.75 implications of flying with an instructor to maintain proficiency.

RTN11
2nd Dec 2011, 21:08
hmm, that's one i've not encountered. You could always phone the CAA to get a definitive answer.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do a dual flight, as you need no medical for that, an examiner would then sign off the rating for a further two years. The licence itself is obviously not valid due to the lack of medical, but I see no reason why the rating could not be revalidated by experience.

Whatever your medical problems, have you explored the NPPL medical declaration?

Gomrath
2nd Dec 2011, 21:20
Lots of questions to follow on 61.75 implications of flying with an instructor to maintain proficiency.

Without a valid UK medical then your FAA 61.75 cert is obviously invalid unless you happen to hold a FAA Class 3 -without any medical restriction.

You can fly with an FAA CFI to maintain proficiency but you cannot log it as PIC.
As and when you get your medical back you may need to undertake a BFR if beyond 24 months. You should inform the CFI in advance regarding the lack of a medical.

sherburn2LA
2nd Dec 2011, 21:53
the FAA part does not concern me yet. If need be I can go through the farce of getting a student cert and TSA clearance to fly dual even though I have already been flying here 13 years. And if I do regain my UK / JAA then there is no clock ticking on BFRs. But once JAA expires it is a skills test. And Cert of experience now cannot be issued without a medical I heard which I do still have but not for long even if temp unfit.

Pilot DAR
2nd Dec 2011, 22:20
I agree with Gomrath.

Generally medically unfit boils down to either risk of loss of consciousness, or incapacitation. In the case of loss of consciousness, an alarmed instructor can probably handle things just fine.

Incapacitation, on the other hand, introduces risks in the cockpit, which the other pilot should be aware of, and agree to. There is special training for pilots for this risk, though I very much doubt that many instructors receive it. I have dealt with this before, and satisfied myself that a snug lap belt, and shoulder harness would keep things safe, and never had a problem anyway.

Let the instructor know if there is an increased risk, but otherwise, good on you, go keep current!

Gomrath
3rd Dec 2011, 00:13
If need be I can go through the farce of getting a student cert and TSA clearance to fly dual even though I have already been flying here 13 years.

You do not need TSA - as you are not training for something that will lead to the issue of a FAA certificate.

And if I do regain my UK / JAA then there is no clock ticking on BFRs
Well, the clock is still ticking as you have to conduct a FAA BFR every 24 months but it matters not as you can simply let the 24 months lapse till you regain your UK medical, then undertake the BFR and log it as PIC without any penalty.

To be honest, after 13 years, your best bet is to simply go get a full unrestricted FAA certificate, take the written, get a FAA Class 3 (when your medical issued is sorted) and take the checkride as per the PTS.

fireflybob
3rd Dec 2011, 00:18
Can I while unfit fly with an instructor on my Xmas UK visit and get a fresh sign off for 2 years giving me that breathing space to get sorted out ?

Certainly there is no reason why you cannot fly with an instructor without a valid medical, legally speaking.

I suspect that when the licence is signed it has to have a valid medical but maybe somebody better read than me could confirm this.

Presume we are talking about JAR (Europe) here so FAA rules are not relevant.

sherburn2LA
3rd Dec 2011, 00:46
I wish I didn't bring up the 61.75. Although I want to keep flying in both countries my UK license is the most important to me if only because it will be the easiest to 'lose' or generate massive expense to retain / regain. My medical will expire imminently and after that my Cert of Experience would be almost certain to follow committing me to at least a skills test not to mention the looming complication of an EASA conversion and so on and so forth. Perhaps I should have asked on the instructors /examiners forum what their interpretation would be.

Gomrath
3rd Dec 2011, 00:50
I agree that the 61.75 is a side issue and you do need to get your UK side sorted first.
You could just give the CA a call and have them answer the base question as to whether you can do that required 1 hour without a medical.

Alternatively drop bose-x a PM and he will tell you.

justmaybe
3rd Dec 2011, 07:34
Three points:
1. Depends whether your Medical has been withdrawn or has lapsed. If lapsed:
2. You can fly with an Instructor for the 1 hour training flight.
3. The FE can sign off your SEP Rating (FCL 150E) but is required note on SRG 1119 (the paperwork that goes to CAA) the fact that your medical cert has expired.
However, if the certificate has been withdrawn the Rating should not be revalidated by the FE.
You say however that the medical has not yet expired, so there is no reason why you cant do the hour and get the sign off. Just remember that any decrease in medical fitness fhould be reported to the Authority.

24Carrot
3rd Dec 2011, 08:20
You could just give the CA a call ...

I would suggest you get them to confirm it in writing. What they say on the 'phone isn't always the same as what they put in an email.

justasmallfire
3rd Dec 2011, 08:51
I agree with RTN11 reply I would just add that on issue of new rating a class 1/2 medical needs to be valid but as a renewal no you dont have to have a medical to fly under tuition ,only to exercise the rights of "your licence priviledges" in other words to fly on your licence which you would not be doing.The pilot in command is the instructor. A flying club on other hand may have insurance issues (requesting all licence holders to hold valid medicals ect.)so you would also have to check with them about that.